News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

How did you figure it will ONLY cost $100M more? You realized that they'll have to tunnel under the Don River with Leslie station being much deeper than all other stations on the line. The station itself would have cost $150M. Metrolinx decided not to include that station if it was built tunnelled through. The idea was proposed if you remember correctly but it caused too many problem (politically), they decided against another EA amendment.

I don't think Metrolinx was up to the task of building a shorter version of the Prince Edward Viaduct with a lower deck for the LRT tracks. This will require the roadway on the new bridge to be raised a story to ensure the LRT tracks have enough clearance for the lower park access road and walking trails to the parking lot south of Eglinton. Alternatively they can just elevated that station right onto of the Leslie/Eg intersection. It would be the cheapest and most efficient. For such a low ridership station and a savings of 1 minute, I doubt it's worth it.

From Steve Munro in 2013
The cost for an underground alignment between Brentcliffe and Don Mills would be approximately the same as the surface alignment to which the project has returned.
This is with no Station.

This next Quote Direct from Metrolinx. (all others from Steve Munro site).
the costs associated with an underground LRT Station at this location (est. $80M) are not justified..

So, it was $80M that prevented this grade-separated portion from reaching Don Mills and being compatible with a DRL long.
Several people at the meeting expressed displeasure at the loss of an LRT station at Leslie. To recover this station, a couple of people suggested building a bridge or viaduct over the valley presumably on the south side of Eglinton. Metrolinx did not like this idea as it would involve a $10 million cost to extract the TBM’s just east of Brentcliffe and to relaunch them presumably under the CP Rail embankment.
It appears that the locals were helping look for cheaper solutions, and likely $10M (or $10's of Millions) is what prevented a reasonable solution from being found.
The problem remains that if the line emerges to the surface east of Brentcliffe, the conditions around the portal are not suitable for a launch site (although it would not surprise me if Metrolinx makes the problems worse than they actually might be in order to support tunneling to Don Mills).
The entire thing was a lie from Metrolinx. They said the portal couldn't be built east of Brentcliffe and that's why the full tunneling is needed. Then, they said they couldn't do a south side, because it would still need a portal east of Brencliffe. After rejecting all suggestions, they reverted back to the solution they said was impossible.
The behavior of Metrolinx was so ridiculous that there must have been some political motivation to their stupidity.

The trouble with the NIMBYs in the Eglinton & Leslie area is that they wanted a stop at Leslie, PERIOD. There was no thought given to locating it on the south side of Eglinton, nor any other side or center, just that there would be a STOP, nothing about a location of the said stop. They just wanted the candy bar else they'll throw a temper tantrum.
They acted perfectly rationally. They left the location of the Station to Metrolinx, provided several solutions, and let the experts come up with the solution. The problem here is 100% Metrolinx, and whoever influenced them - and not the locals.

They acted perfectly rationally. They left the location of the Station to Metrolinx, provided several solutions, and let the experts come up with the solution. The problem here is 100% Metrolinx, and whoever influenced them - and not the locals.

I think the problem was mainly that a delay caused redoing EA could have put the entire line east of Yonge at risk, since it looked like the Liberals might loose the upcoming election, and if that had happened with out the eastern tunnels being awarded then Bombardier would have an even smaller fleet to deliver.

Yes this was unfortunate series of events and a prime example of politicization in action. South of Eglinton, with a new bridge structure, and an elevated or open-cut Leslie Station (providing full grade-separation to Don Mills) should've always been on the radar. At the very least we could've at least planned for a future Leslie station to be built a future date, perhaps when the CPR sees commuter service. LRT is one of the most flexible systems in the world, yet we presented the two extremes: deep bore or tram-style. I guess in fifty years we'll try to rectify it at great expense.

Why no Richmond Hill line connection.

Likely because the Richmond Hill GO tracks are still in the Don River valley (and are not the tracks going over at Leslie either) and lie fairly near the river where it crosses Eglinton. Not the best or most convenient places for a station, not to mention about 300m distance in either direction to anything else.

I don't understand why the Leslie LRT station couldn't be kept tunnelled and had the TBMs start at Don Mills go West to Yonge. I know it would raise the price by a few $100M, but IMO it would be better than waiting for a traffic light and going up and back down just for one stop. Also, the Sunnybrook Park Station(Leslie) being Orange on the map while the stations around it being gray is also a standout and dumb. Just cut and cover it immediately.
As I have said before, re-grade the entire intersection. The tracks will become under the new intersection, and it will also lessen the incline on Eglinton, and on Leslie

We'll be paying for the Leslie mistake in tax dollars in the future, I have no doubt about that.

Probably when the DRL reaches Eglinton and suddenly Metrolinx/TTC realize they need to short-turn vehicles at Don Mills rather than at Laird.

We'll be paying for the Leslie mistake in tax dollars in the future, I have no doubt about that.

Probably when the DRL reaches Eglinton and suddenly Metrolinx/TTC realize they need to short-turn vehicles at Don Mills rather than at Laird.

It's not too late to correct things. Tory, Wynne and Trudeau just need the right amount of motivation to act.

Actually, when the DRL reaches Eglinton, it will partly mitigate the Leslie mistake. There will be less motivation to short-turn the LRT trains at Don Mills, as the demand east and west of it will be better matched.

Without DRL, a lot of riders will board Eglinton LRT at Don Mills just to reach Yonge and then head downtown. That includes walk-in riders, transfers from # 25 Don Mills, and transfers from the local routes like #100.

With DRL in place, many of those riders will board DRL and go straight to downtown. Thus, the demand on Eglinton LRT west of Don Mills will decline, will the demand east of Don Mills will grow because of the more direct connection to downtown. Because of that, the two levels of demand should be better matched.

Actually, when the DRL reaches Eglinton, it will partly mitigate the Leslie mistake. There will be less motivation to short-turn the LRT trains at Don Mills, as the demand east and west of it will be better matched.

Without DRL, a lot of riders will board Eglinton LRT at Don Mills just to reach Yonge and then head downtown. That includes walk-in riders, transfers from # 25 Don Mills, and transfers from the local routes like #100.

With DRL in place, many of those riders will board DRL and go straight to downtown. Thus, the demand on Eglinton LRT west of Don Mills will decline, will the demand east of Don Mills will grow because of the more direct connection to downtown. Because of that, the two levels of demand should be better matched.
Hmm, I didn't think about that aspect.

Still, it is incredibly poor planning from a connectivity perspective, to short-turn the train 2 stops away from the large transit hub and interchange planned at Eglinton+Don Mills. Anyone travelling eastward (even to just access the DRL) might have to change trains at Laird, while people heading towards Yonge will deal with double the headway at Don Mills.

Plus, of course, any incident at the Leslie street intersection has the potential to greatly disrupt operations on Eglinton.

As I have said before, re-grade the entire intersection. The tracks will become under the new intersection, and it will also lessen the incline on Eglinton, and on Leslie
There would still be a problem a couple of hundred metres east where the CPR bridge is, where traffic would squeeze to 2 lanes.

Back