News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

We'll be paying for the Leslie mistake in tax dollars in the future, I have no doubt about that.

Probably when the DRL reaches Eglinton and suddenly Metrolinx/TTC realize they need to short-turn vehicles at Don Mills rather than at Laird.
The thing I wonder is under what political scenario could someone actually promise to correct this mistake.
  • First, maybe a campaign promise to extend the DRL to Sheppard.
  • Then, highlight how short sighted government was to not plan ahead with a station rough-in.
  • Follow that up with acknowledgement that ECLRT on street through Leslie also hurts the connectivity of the transit network.
  • Promise to grade-separate ECLRT.

The thing I wonder is under what political scenario could someone actually promise to correct this mistake.
  • First, maybe a campaign promise to extend the DRL to Sheppard.
  • Then, highlight how short sighted government was to not plan ahead with a station rough-in.
  • Follow that up with acknowledgement that ECLRT on street through Leslie also hurts the connectivity of the transit network.
  • Promise to grade-separate ECLRT.
The rising costs of the Scarborough subway and a political move to propose LRT interlined with the ECLRT to remove the transfer, could do it.

However unlikely that scenario is beginning to appear now.

Plus, of course, any incident at the Leslie street intersection has the potential to greatly disrupt operations on Eglinton.

As well as Leslie, I think it's logical we'll see a Planning proposal to bring the Celestica ramp to grade in the near/midterm (to coincide with the proposed development for that site). It's fairly anti-urban as it stands now. If that happens it'd be another potential for a service hiccup in the future. However Rainforest does raise a good point about a drop in demand for this stretch if/when there's rapid transit along Don Mills.

The rising costs of the Scarborough subway and a political move to propose LRT interlined with the ECLRT to remove the transfer, could do it.

Both Andy Byford and John Tory support subways. Good luck.

Better off convincing them to extend it to Sheppard and build Lawrence East in the near future.

That would require admitting that Ford was right all along. I am not sure who would campaign on that.

I disliked ford but always thought this was the best plan. Also once we go elevated in one area it makes it easier to use elevated on other places like Sheppard. The problem though would be that people on finch would demand grade seperation as well

That would require admitting that Ford was right all along. I am not sure who would campaign on that.
Ford's original plan, was to only build the Sheppard East subway extension and the Danforth subway extension. Even though Eglinton was already approved and funded, he didn't include it in his plan (presumably wanting to move the money elsewhere).

I don't think he was very involved in the later plans, they kind of happened around him.

It's under construction now. It's too late to make major changes in the middle.

Ford's original plan, was to only build the Sheppard East subway extension and the Danforth subway extension. Even though Eglinton was already approved and funded, he didn't include it in his plan (presumably wanting to move the money elsewhere).

I don't think he was very involved in the later plans, they kind of happened around him.

It's under construction now. It's too late to make major changes in the middle.

I think Ford's original plan included grade separating the eastern portion of Eglinton Crosstown and removing a bunch of stops. I believe the proposed change would have been the continuation of the Eglinton subway until Kennedy.

True, then a compromise was reached. The SRT would be an LRT on the current alignment only if the Crosstown was built as a subway from Laird to Kennedy at the expense of Finch West LRT

Why no Richmond Hill line connection.

The Richmond Hill line is the red-headed stepchild of the Go Transit system. The province doesn't see any use for it other than peak-hour/peak-direction service, since they're planning a Yonge extension that'll provide service to Langstaff.

Probably when the DRL reaches Eglinton and suddenly Metrolinx/TTC realize they need to short-turn vehicles at Don Mills rather than at Laird.

They're building a pocket track east of Don Mills specifically so they'll be able to do this in the future.

The SRT would be an LRT on the current alignment only if the Crosstown was built as a subway from Laird to Kennedy

On top of that, the SRT and ECLRT would've been one continuous line. Someone in Scarborough Centre could get to Yonge & Eglinton without making any transfers or stopping at any traffic lights.

Both Andy Byford and John Tory support subways. Good luck.
SSE gets Byford a brand new Line 2 signalling system (with consequent labour savings) and a new Line 2 fleet. Gets more train storage at ScarbTC and maybe a new west end yard.

From his perspective, what's not to like?

SSE gets Byford a brand new Line 2 signalling system (with consequent labour savings) and a new Line 2 fleet. Gets more train storage at ScarbTC and maybe a new west end yard.

From his perspective, what's not to like?
The massive operating costs of a 6km tunnel to one single station, along with the operating costs of the huge expansion of the fleet required to operate this extension. With no additional financial support, that is what is not to like from Byford's perspective. (And from all of us, when the TTC is forced to raise fares once again.)

Only my lamenting of the plight of Scarborough commuters will stop me from laughing at SSE supporters when the TTC decides they have to short-turn vehicles at Kennedy.

I think Ford's original plan included grade separating the eastern portion of Eglinton Crosstown and removing a bunch of stops. I believe the proposed change would have been the continuation of the Eglinton subway until Kennedy.
That was a 2011 (2012?) plan that Stintz and Metrolinx cooked up, and convinced Ford to go with. His 2010 proposal during the election had nothing for Eglinton. Simply the Danforth and Sheppard extensions to Scarborough Centre, the extension of Sheppard from Yonge to Downview (Sheppard West), and it showed the Spadina extension that was already under construction. Famously it added Willowdale station - between Bayview and Bessarion.

If Stintz was involved in the plan, why was she so fast to abandon it.

I agree that it was in large part Metrolinx's plan*, but when it came to cancelling it they were more than happy to put loyalty to their Liberal masters ahead of public planning.
(* - It was Ford who allowed Metrolinx to provide the input and over-ride the David Miller ideas).

If Stintz was involved in the plan, why was she so fast to abandon it.
Because she suddenly got mayoral ambitions.

It wasn't her plan to begin with, it was her (and de Baeremaeker's) staffers that came up with it. She put her name to it. Then when she received a sign from above to run for mayor, she instructed her staffers to change plan to Scarborough subway.

Back