News   May 13, 2024
 492     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 881     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 705     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Fine but I don't think any of those examples really refute what's being said here - that 300m between two stations is too close and that distance is easily walkable. All the Hakimi Lebovic station does is slow down the entire cycle and increase travel times without adding much of a ridership.

That's the issue with surface lines in Toronto - building stops at grade is cheap so they are really prone to giving into the local pressure to add more and more stops. I think Finch West has the same issue in this regard.
Let's not remember transit city was designed more for locals to access better service and not someone elsewhere to zoom past the corridor. It was never intended that riders should use it from Kennedy to get downtown via Eglinton Station. Easily walkable to you doesn't mean easily walker to someone in a cane. Even with the current spacing, there will be a lot of complaints from seniors about their local stop being removed. As the population ages, there will be more support for a system that works with seniors.

Second, TTC also already concluded that removing the midblock stops won't improve speed as much as the subway. Unless it's grade separated, they'll still be caught at lights. Regarding request stops, I believe the lights would be sync and timed expecting them to stop at all stops during most of the day. Not stopping at the stop would just result in the trains stopped at the next light. The real benefit would come at lower traffic times where they can keep the lights green at midblocks.

Here we go again. People's destination isn't just their next bus connection. Aga Khan is beside a nighghbourhood. Hakimi Lebovic is surrounded by shops and is a pretty popular location. Ionview is needed because there is no stop at Kennedy itself. Kennedy station is a few hundred more meters to the east. TTC already determine they'll need to run parallel bus service if stops are 1km apart. O'Connor and Pharmacy are however too close together and should be combined. Having stops every 400-500m will also bring in more development and is built into the plan back in Transit City. They consider development potential as an important factor to having stop there and still doing the same with the Eglinton west extension. In other words, it's not useless cause it doesn't connect to a bus. In that case Chester Station and North York Centre would be consider useless with no bus connection (the 97C parallel service with 30 min frequency doesn't really count).

I don't understand the fear about running a parallel bus service. There are additional costs associated with having more stops, since the end to end travel time is longer (more operators and vehicles required to operate the same level of service when it is slower). The line also becomes much less useful for people who aren't travelling from points on the line to somewhere else on the line as it slows down anyone trying to connect to or from points outside of the line.

As for development potential, that speaks to the criticism that many people have for transit city: it is meant as an urban planning project rather than a transportation project. Transit city was meant to be complementary to the "Avenues" city plan, which concentrates population growth in midrise development along noisy high traffic corridors, in order to insulate neighbourhoods of detached homes from density or change and push new residents into less desirable areas.

The downtown U, Paris, London, Berlin and NYC all have stops that are less than 400m. First, we'll start by removing Bay, Museum, St Patrick, St Andrew, King, Dundas an Wellesley cause they are too close to other stations. While at it, they should remove Spadina Station too cause it's just 300m from St George.

I doubt the Yonge line would be designed with that stop spacing if it were built today. Although those stops you mention all connect to high-ridership surface routes (except maybe Museum) and have population/job densities far higher than what we will ever see on Eglinton East.

Wait, what's this I see in the original EA before Metrolinx intervene with everything? http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...t-description-plates-plates-46-89.pdf#page=40
Metrolinx wanted to remove the stop and the residents fought for their stop back. It's not going to be a major stop but it is 500m away from Don Mills not 150m (Tweedsmuir) or 300m (Sussex). A stop like these does save people a trip down a long flight of stairs. I agree this would be one of the least used the stop in the east end.

If we are designing rapid transit to save people from having to take stairs, then we are not designing it correctly.

I'm not sure if the city is being cheap by building less stations. I'm not sure if a faster line would draw more people away from using the Yonge line.

A faster line would draw more ridership, but that would worsen loading on the Yonge line, since people who used to bus down to Bloor (and transfer south at Yonge/Bloor) would now take the Eglinton LRT to Eglinton and ride the Yonge line south.

It's 300m....if you are on Eglinton. And if you're not, then you have that much further to walk to get to a stop.

Also, the stops will be upon request. If there is no one there or no one needs to step off of the vehicle, it just keeps going through at speed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For rapid transit, each stop should be well-used enough that there's no need to "request" a stop. People are willing to walk to walk much further than 500m for a service that is fast and reliable. Most people along Queen/Dundas/any streetcar line walk rather than wait at a stop, because walking is more reliable and because they can just catch a streetcar/bus if it overtakes them.

Let's not remember transit city was designed more for locals to access better service and not someone elsewhere to zoom past the corridor. It was never intended that riders should use it from Kennedy to get downtown via Eglinton Station. Easily walkable to you doesn't mean easily walker to someone in a cane. Even with the current spacing, there will be a lot of complaints from seniors about their local stop being removed. As the population ages, there will be more support for a system that works with seniors.

A city's transit system has to balance two competing but complementary goals, ridership and coverage. Ridership is maximized by traveling in straight lines with few stops at high frequency. Coverage is maximized with curvy milk runs, but requires sacrificing frequency to travel further/stop more with the same resources. A high capacity, expensive, tunneled line is best used for capturing ridership than achieving coverage for those with special needs.

We are spending billions of dollars to tunnel the majority of its length through Eglinton to speed it up. It is schizophrenic to have it try to occupy both the role of rapid transit and of local bus.

It's also important to think of Eglinton in the context of a *system* rather than just a single line. For anyone connecting via Eglinton, their trip times will be reduced, and journeys that took too long before will now be acceptable. We should be trying to maximize the number of jobs/people within the transit isochrone map.

Transit city had some good ideas. It was trying to blanket the city in low-cost, reliable transit, rather than focus on a few ultra-high capacity, piecemeal subway extensions every generation. But in the current context of the Eglinton LRT, with 10km of tunnels and as the only other cross-town rapid transit line, it needs to be revisited from the original concept.

I'd like to see more of a focus on developing transit-only lanes in other corridors (Steeles, Wilson, Islington, Lawrence, Finch-East, Sheppard-East, Don-Mills) as a precursor to LRT. We've kept the remnants of Transit City's projects, but lost the philosophy of developing ridership by improving the highest-use bus lines (either through priority measures or conversion to LRT).

Second, TTC also already concluded that removing the midblock stops won't improve speed as much as the subway. Unless it's grade separated, they'll still be caught at lights. Regarding request stops, I believe the lights would be sync and timed expecting them to stop at all stops during most of the day. Not stopping at the stop would just result in the trains stopped at the next light. The real benefit would come at lower traffic times where they can keep the lights green at midblocks.

Synchronization of the lights for the LRT is something that I would think is a no-brainer normally, but after looking at Spadina and St. Clair I think it's pie-in-the-sky unrealistic to expect anything resembling that.

I don't understand the fear about running a parallel bus service. There are additional costs associated with having more stops, since the end to end travel time is longer (more operators and vehicles required to operate the same level of service when it is slower). The line also becomes much less useful for people who aren't travelling from points on the line to somewhere else on the line as it slows down anyone trying to connect to or from points outside of the line.
Next month, TTC is continuing to yank out buses from here and there. A few minutes more isn't going to cost a lot of ridership but TTC yanking out buses cause they can't afford them would. The spacing is still significantly further than any streetcar lines.

As for development potential, that speaks to the criticism that many people have for transit city: it is meant as an urban planning project rather than a transportation project. Transit city was meant to be complementary to the "Avenues" city plan, which concentrates population growth in midrise development along noisy high traffic corridors, in order to insulate neighbourhoods of detached homes from density or change and push new residents into less desirable areas.
The city needs to grow. We can't be stuck in the 80s forever. There's a lot of argument for and against this. Some people like to live beside a LRT station while others don't want a single thing to change while improving their transit access. World class cities need development. We can't be stuck with parking lots and grass everywhere and be consider world class. Transit city was designed for creating a corridor that the majority of people can shop, chill and entertain themselves 80% of the time on the same LRT line. Groceries, shopping malls, movies, coffee shops and homes would all be located there. Most of the trips should be short (except commuting to work) so it shouldn't be a huge problem. If we continue to think like today and having to go 20km to meet someone or get something, of course LRT wouldn't be suitable but why do we want to spend hours on public transit anyways?

If we are designing rapid transit to save people from having to take stairs, then we are not designing it correctly.
This one I somewhat agree with. Sussex and Tweedsmuir could be removed. Aga Khan is quite a distance away from Don Mills. Although the traisn might be stuck waiting for the lights at DVP.

A faster line would draw more ridership, but that would worsen loading on the Yonge line, since people who used to bus down to Bloor (and transfer south at Yonge/Bloor) would now take the Eglinton LRT to Eglinton and ride the Yonge line south.
Here's what I believe. We can never build rapid transit to compensate for everyone. Compensate means supporting one side over another. A balance leads to never ending discussion. I rather see a network of slower LRTs that connect to fast RER service allowing for both intracity and local travel than a somewhat fast subway network for both. Subways are still incredibly slow for traveling from Etobicoke to Scarborough. A few less stops on the surface section is not going to significantly reduce that time.

Transit city had some good ideas. It was trying to blanket the city in low-cost, reliable transit, rather than focus on a few ultra-high capacity, piecemeal subway extensions every generation. But in the current context of the Eglinton LRT, with 10km of tunnels and as the only other cross-town rapid transit line, it needs to be revisited from the original concept.

I'd like to see more of a focus on developing transit-only lanes in other corridors (Steeles, Wilson, Islington, Lawrence, Finch-East, Sheppard-East, Don-Mills) as a precursor to LRT. We've kept the remnants of Transit City's projects, but lost the philosophy of developing ridership by improving the highest-use bus lines (either through priority measures or conversion to LRT).
Transit city was intended to spend the least amount of money to help as many people. I do believe they went cheap on certain portions. They should have grade separated the Finch line from the 400 exit ramps. Same with Eglinton and DVP. They could have done better.

Synchronization of the lights for the LRT is something that I would think is a no-brainer normally, but after looking at Spadina and St. Clair I think it's pie-in-the-sky unrealistic to expect anything resembling that.
That's what everyone thinks but with a whole team of transportation engineers, what have they archive? Now they're trying to tweak it for seniors. Everything would work properly if the trains accelerate at the exact same location reaching every stop at the exact same time. Dwell at every stop for a specific number of seconds and proceed. Now, what happens if a wheelchair gets stuck at the door or someone tries hold the door for 10 seconds for their friends or a jaywalking was crossing the tracks causing the driver to slow down? A 30 second delay could lead to a few minutes out of sync down 10 stops. They train would not sync in the desire green cycle but instead be between the 2nd and 3rd cycle. The question is how much time should they given to out of sync trains to get them back to their expected cycle with limitations such as a 15 seconds of green time is not possible as people can't cross 6 lanes of traffic in that amount of time.

Next month, TTC is continuing to yank out buses from here and there. A few minutes more isn't going to cost a lot of ridership but TTC yanking out buses cause they can't afford them would. The spacing is still significantly further than any streetcar lines.

The city needs to grow. We can't be stuck in the 80s forever. There's a lot of argument for and against this. Some people like to live beside a LRT station while others don't want a single thing to change while improving their transit access. World class cities need development. We can't be stuck with parking lots and grass everywhere and be consider world class. Transit city was designed for creating a corridor that the majority of people can shop, chill and entertain themselves 80% of the time on the same LRT line. Groceries, shopping malls, movies, coffee shops and homes would all be located there. Most of the trips should be short (except commuting to work) so it shouldn't be a huge problem. If we continue to think like today and having to go 20km to meet someone or get something, of course LRT wouldn't be suitable but why do we want to spend hours on public transit anyways?

This one I somewhat agree with. Sussex and Tweedsmuir could be removed. Aga Khan is quite a distance away from Don Mills. Although the traisn might be stuck waiting for the lights at DVP.

Here's what I believe. We can never build rapid transit to compensate for everyone. Compensate means supporting one side over another. A balance leads to never ending discussion. I rather see a network of slower LRTs that connect to fast RER service allowing for both intracity and local travel than a somewhat fast subway network for both. Subways are still incredibly slow for traveling from Etobicoke to Scarborough. A few less stops on the surface section is not going to significantly reduce that time.

Transit city was intended to spend the least amount of money to help as many people. I do believe they went cheap on certain portions. They should have grade separated the Finch line from the 400 exit ramps. Same with Eglinton and DVP. They could have done better.

That's what everyone thinks but with a whole team of transportation engineers, what have they archive? Now they're trying to tweak it for seniors. Everything would work properly if the trains accelerate at the exact same location reaching every stop at the exact same time. Dwell at every stop for a specific number of seconds and proceed. Now, what happens if a wheelchair gets stuck at the door or someone tries hold the door for 10 seconds for their friends or a jaywalking was crossing the tracks causing the driver to slow down? A 30 second delay could lead to a few minutes out of sync down 10 stops. They train would not sync in the desire green cycle but instead be between the 2nd and 3rd cycle. The question is how much time should they given to out of sync trains to get them back to their expected cycle with limitations such as a 15 seconds of green time is not possible as people can't cross 6 lanes of traffic in that amount of time.
Having transit signals times to the train schedule is impossible. It has to be based on location detection using sensors or GPS, where traffic lights and signals use train locations to set the correct length for green and red phases in real time. A schedule is not possible unless we live in a perfect world, which we aren't obviously.

I'm still scratching my head at the name Hakimi Lebovic. These are two separate streets, which afaik are named after two separate people. But they combined it into one, as if there was an individual with that name. No hyphen, no forward slash, no inclusion of the "Ave" part of those separate streets. They simply created a new name where there isn't one. I don't see the logic and it seems kinda weird. But I guess this is just a surface stop so it's not a big deal.
why do these surface stoops even have a name? The street sign already shows the cross street name. I don't see this done on St Clair. You come to an intersection, announcement made as to the stop and the street sign shows the name. Whenever I hear this name Hakimi Lebovic I think of eye glasses

Ionview as well. Given that how the "priority signaling" and left turns at intersections are going to be worked out is a mystery, having so many stops in such short distances is quite risky for timing and reliability.

The Hakimi/Lebovic - Eglinton intersection is 490m away from the Pharmacy - Eglintion station and only 300m from the Warden - Eglinton. That's not rapid transit station spacing.
if this stop is done away with, what will the impact really be? How many residents will even object and if they do how long will it last. Seems to me to be worth it to cut this among a few other stops in the east end there

if this stop is done away with, what will the impact really be? How many residents will even object and if they do how long will it last. Seems to me to be worth it to cut this among a few other stops in the east end there
Maybe you should ask all those people waiting for the 34 midblock on Eglinton. Alternatively you can observe the number of people taking the 34 at midblock. If they don't put a stop at Ionview, they'll need one at Kennedy (the intersection). Kennedy Station is actually located midblock between Kennedy and Midland. Birchmount and Kennedy Station is 1.15km apart plus people would have to walk 200-300m. That's about a 15 minute for average pace or 25 minutes for a senior. Just wait till you grow older and realize everything is so far away while kids think your in the way for blocking the sidewalk. Some people here have no respect for seniors and prefer to rip the midblock stops out save a couple minutes while letting them suffer.

Cutting the midblock stops would just result in a major lost of ridership originating from Eglinton. It's not guarantee it will attract more riders to the system.

How ironic that the Crosstown gets super-close spacing in areas that don't really warrant it yet the proposed DRL has a whopping 1200 metre gap in-between Sherbourne-Queen and City Hall stations - one of the most densely populated areas of the country!
While I don't necessarily disagree with your point, the plan to have a single station at City Hall has been abandoned. The recommended route now includes stations at Queen-Yonge and Osgoode. Queen-Yonge and Sherbourne stations will be around 800 m apart.

I think it's a shame that Line 5 wasn't designed to be elevated in its outer portions like the Skytrain. Or at least grade separated at intersections so it's completely separated from traffic. I get that the outer portions were designed on the cheap before there was much funding available, but having trains stop at red lights on the surface portions is going to mess with the speed and reliability of the whole line. Toronto really needs to escape the tunnel-or-nothing mentality.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your point, the plan to have a single station at City Hall has been abandoned. The recommended route now includes stations at Queen-Yonge and Osgoode. Queen-Yonge and Sherbourne stations will be around 800 m apart.

I think it's a shame that Line 5 wasn't designed to be elevated in its outer portions like the Skytrain. Or at least grade separated at intersections so it's completely separated from traffic. I get that the outer portions were designed on the cheap before there was much funding available, but having trains stop at red lights on the surface portions is going to mess with the speed and reliability of the whole line. Toronto really needs to escape the tunnel-or-nothing mentality.
Don't you mean tunnel, at grade, or nothing?

How ironic that the Crosstown gets super-close spacing in areas that don't really warrant it yet the proposed DRL has a whopping 1200 metre gap in-between Sherbourne-Queen and City Hall stations - one of the most densely populated areas of the country!

The Relief Line stop spacing along Queen is roughly the same as Line 2. We have stations on, University, Yonge, Sherbourne, Sumach, Broadview and Pape (6 Stations)

On the same stretch of Bloor, there are stations on Bay, Yonge, Sherbourne, Castle Frank, Broadview, Chester and Pape (7 Stations)

In particular, distance between Sherbourne and Yonge on Queen is exactly the same as the distance on Bloor.

There are also additional costs associated with running a parallel bus service. And in this case, I would bet that the costs of offering up more stops on the LRT and the slight decrease in average speed (and associated additional operating costs due to it) will be substantially less than the cost of running a paralleling bus service.

For rapid transit, each stop should be well-used enough that there's no need to "request" a stop. People are willing to walk to walk much further than 500m for a service that is fast and reliable. Most people along Queen/Dundas/any streetcar line walk rather than wait at a stop, because walking is more reliable and because they can just catch a streetcar/bus if it overtakes them.

Based on what guidelines, exactly? Are you suggesting that every single subway station has at the very least a single passenger getting on and/or off of every single train every day? Because that's frankly a ridiculous metric to try and apply.

Yes, some people are willing to walk further for a higher-quality service. But a very lot are not. Look at the ridership arriving at any given subway station - even the last stop before a station, which is almost always less than 500m away from the main entrance, will see a regular ridership of people getting on to get to the subway.

Transit is supposed to be convenient. People don't even mind a transfer from a bus to a subway if it makes it more convenient for them. But if they have to walk 500m or more in the snow and rain because you've taken their stop away from them, they're going to think twice about taking transit next time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Based on metrics from any other system world wide. Toronto has the closest bus and tram stops. It maybe convenient if you happen to live near the stop but it's inconvenient for longer distance travel, which Toronto is terrible at. Speed is important and Toronto seems to forget this. I'm not saying we should have a magic number for stop spacing and apply everywhere. There are however general places where it makes no sense that we have near and far side stops at intersections or have tram stops where the tram can almost be at both stops at the same time. For example on Spadina Wilcox, Harbord, and Sussex are very close. Only Harbord is needed, as the other two are close enough to it that it's literally a 2-3 min walk to the next stop. The city is full of such examples. It's why routes like Spadina or Queens Quay (Harbourfront) are very slow. Stop spacing and badly timed signals affect throughput of service.

Transit is supposed to be convenient, but rapid transit is supposed to be fast. Its a juggling act to balance them. But running an LRT service like a bus service to save on costs kinds of defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. That said, the stops are very similar to what is on the rest of the network, and not nearly as bad as say, Spadina, where they're just outright idiotic, so we're probably fine.

Its the signal priority we should be scared about.

EDIT: Spadina really is the perfect example of LRT done poorly, my god.

Last edited:
For example on Spadina Wilcox, Harbord, and Sussex are very close. Only Harbord is needed, as the other two are close enough to it that it's literally a 2-3 min walk to the next stop.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of correlation (if any) of ridership per route km versus stops per route km within Toronto. I'd hazard a hypothesis that the correlation is positive (more ridership == more stops), not negative.

That's not to say that some stops can be removed, we've done that numerous times in the past, just that if there is a general positive correlation then it should be done very cautiously.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of correlation (if any) of ridership per route km versus stops per route km within Toronto. I'd hazard a hypothesis that the correlation is positive (more ridership == more stops), not negative.

That's not to say that some stops can be removed, we've done that numerous times in the past, just that if there is a general positive correlation then it should be done very cautiously.

I'd think that the outcome of such comparison will vary greatly from one route to another. If a route runs through densely populated areas, and is not very useful for long-range trips, then the correlation will be positive, more stops = convenience for the locals = higher ridership.

If a route runs through sparsely populated areas, but connects a major destination such as an airport, university, college to a major subway line, then the correlation will be negative, more stops = lower speed = potential long-range riders choose other routes or drive.

Last edited:

Back