News   May 28, 2024
 636     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 422     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 767     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Here's an idea....why don't you try riding the routes and learning what the travel patterns are instead of just assuming everything.

There are a LOT of people from the residential neighbourhoods just south of Steeles that ride the bus all the way down to Pape Station. The buses wouldn't be standing room only by York Mills if that wasn't the case.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Are you sure there is a lot? Do you often ride the 25 from Steeles to Pape Station? It makes sense in the morning when the subway is stuffed full. What about the rest of the time especially staying on the local with all those stops oppose to taking the 185 rocket? I ride the 185 occasionally in the afternoon and never witness a mass of people heading south from Don Mills Station northwards. The 185s are never stuff full in the afternoon and half the riders from Don Mills get off by Thorncliffe Park. The bus does fill back up with people picked up in between. Also, yes there is significantly more people who ride the 25 than the 185 cause it stops at all stops especially the one south of Eglinton by the shops where the 185 skips over.

Now that the 25 is split in the day times on weekdays, it makes even more sense for people to take the 185 from Don Mills Station if they were heading down to Pape Station. There's a panel of screens telling people when the next bus arrives. I really don't see why a mass of people would continue to use the 25 local if their trip involves Pape Station unless of course the 185s are late (which does happen).

My understanding is that Metrolinx is rebuilding eglinton according to eglinton connects atop of the stations, and that the Feds provided a bit of funding last year for the rest. Not entirely sure where the rest of the money is going to come from though. Construction of it probably won't begin until 2020 or 2021 however, so expect to hear more in 2019 or so as crunch time comes along.

Are you sure there is a lot? Do you often ride the 25 from Steeles to Pape Station? It makes sense in the morning when the subway is stuffed full. What about the rest of the time especially staying on the local with all those stops oppose to taking the 185 rocket? I ride the 185 occasionally in the afternoon and never witness a mass of people heading south from Don Mills Station northwards. The 185s are never stuff full in the afternoon and half the riders from Don Mills get off by Thorncliffe Park. The bus does fill back up with people picked up in between. Also, yes there is significantly more people who ride the 25 than the 185 cause it stops at all stops especially the one south of Eglinton by the shops where the 185 skips over.

I have been riding the 25 a couple of times a month for 20+ years, and have had to ride it daily for a couple of stretches within that 20+ years. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea of where people are getting on.

And yes, there is a lot. Like 15-to-20-people-waiting-at-each-stop-for-each-bus a lot.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's pretty unfortunate that the federal government who got elected on a platform of public transit haven't done more significant projects, what ever happened with the 850 million they gave the city?
there is a list out there with where that money is going. It is going to a ton of little projects - I'll see if I can find it.

The first "phase" of the federal infrastructure program was small, shovel ready projects. Phase 2, which should be happening more now, is to announce funding for "mega projects" like large transit lines.

edit: here is the list. ctrl+f "Toronto" to find all the funding coming here.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/08/23...reement-public-transit-infrastructure-funding

Stuff varies from bridge maintenance, money for new buses, streetcar overhauls, early works for the Finch LRT, West Toronto Railpath extension, Bikeshare expansion, additional bike parking at subway stations, geometric safety improvements for intersections, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
there is a list out there with where that money is going. It is going to a ton of little projects - I'll see if I can find it.

The first "phase" of the federal infrastructure program was small, shovel ready projects. Phase 2, which should be happening more now, is to announce funding for "mega projects" like large transit lines.

edit: here is the list. ctrl+f "Toronto" to find all the funding coming here.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/08/23...reement-public-transit-infrastructure-funding

Stuff varies from bridge maintenance, money for new buses, streetcar overhauls, early works for the Finch LRT, West Toronto Railpath extension, Bikeshare expansion, additional bike parking at subway stations, geometric safety improvements for intersections, etc., etc., etc.

The DRL planning & design gets the lion share at over $27M...must be for the whole Relief Long line

Yea the province kicked in a bunch for that too. Something like $100 million.. I believe the entire line from Dundas West to Don Mills station is expected to be pushed to shovel ready with 10% design done under existing funding. Its a real vote of confidence in the project a lot of people seem to ignore here. The DRL very well could turn out to be a ridiculous mega project for Toronto in the next decade or so if the $10 billion or so needed to build the whole thing can be secured.. ah I get caught up dreaming a little too much sometimes I think haha.

Yeah, that point has really gone over people's head. The Relief Line extensions are at the same point the Relief Line Short were at three years ago. Two or three years from now, for the Relief Line Long, they'll be discussions about specific alignments, station locations, community meetings, geotechnical samples, and all that exciting stuff we like to discuss here.

Yeah, that point has really gone over people's head. The Relief Line extensions are at the same point the Relief Line Short were at three years ago. Two or three years from now, for the Relief Line Long, they'll be discussions about specific alignments, station locations, community meetings, geotechnical samples, and all that exciting stuff we like to discuss here.
they should bite the bullet and go sheppard to dundas west/keele and then to mt dennis.

I'm still scratching my head around the need for the Hakimi Lebovic and Sunnybrook Park/Leslie stops.

Leslie isn't so bad. It's a kilometre away from the nearest stops and there's a lot of office buildings leading up Leslie St from Eglinton. It's also a potential interchange site with GO Transit if they ever decide to put commuter trains on the Midtown corridor.

It's Ferrand (Aga Khan), Hakimi Lebovic and Ionview that are the useless stops with no surface connections and within a few hundred metres of other stops.

they should bite the bullet and go sheppard to dundas west/keele and then to mt dennis.

If the central Crosstown (19 kms) can be built in one shot, including a 12 kilometre tunnel, it's only fair and reasonable to assume the same could be done for the DRL. I wouldn't stop at Fairview Mall though, I'd go another 2 stops to Seneca College Newham Campus.

Leslie isn't so bad. It's a kilometre away from the nearest stops and there's a lot of office buildings leading up Leslie St from Eglinton. It's also a potential interchange site with GO Transit if they ever decide to put commuter trains on the Midtown corridor.

It's Ferrand (Aga Khan), Hakimi Lebovic and Ionview that are the useless stops with no surface connections and within a few hundred metres of other stops.

I'm okay with Ferrand. It is in a very dense community with huge transit usage.

If the central Crosstown (19 kms) can be built in one shot, including a 12 kilometre tunnel, it's only fair and reasonable to assume the same could be done for the DRL. I wouldn't stop at Fairview Mall though, I'd go another 2 stops to Seneca College Newham Campus.
And considering the need for the DRL is critical at this point, it would probably be a good idea to sell this to the public, so it can gain support.

It's pretty unfortunate that the federal government who got elected on a platform of public transit haven't done more significant projects, what ever happened with the 850 million they gave the city?

If I recall correctly, that was for SOGR not new projects. Somewhere - like at Steve Munro's blog is a very extensive list of where that had been allocated. That being said, has anyone seen "more" work than usual being done? I was wondering myself - when does this all unfold?

It's not how one starts the race that matters, it how one finishes it:

http://business.financialpost.com/e...5-billion-infrastructure-bank?__lsa=8507-c79c

"In a fiscal update Tuesday, Finance Minister Bill Morneau unveiled $81.2 billion in new infrastructure spending over the coming 12 years, including $8.9 billion before the next scheduled election in 2019. The government will establish a Canada Infrastructure Bank in 2017 mandated to invest $35 billion over the coming decade."

The only question that remains is what percentage of the Infrastructure Fund is the City of Toronto entitled to. The GTA/Golden Horseshoe being one-sixth of the total population could and frankly should be looking at upwards of $20 billion in investment over the next decade. That's enough when coupled with the Province, City and private sector's investments for DRL Long, Bloor-Danforth to Sheppard East, completing the Crosstown from Malvern to the Airport and maybe even some "vanity" projects like Sheppard from Downsview to Scarborough Centre and Bloor-Danforth into Mississauga.

Rome was not built in a day and neither will rapid transit; but at least all three levels of government in power currently are open to and actively finding ways to fund these initiatives. At any rate they have another year before the soonest election to show us what they can do. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt for now, eh.

Back