News   Jul 15, 2024
 14     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 596     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

wow...pg 10 really paints a sobering picture. Only a couple areas along this corridor actually has good development potential, the rest being quite weak.
Might turn out to be a dud and a moneypit extension in the long run.

wow...pg 10 really paints a sobering picture. Only a couple areas along this corridor actually has good development potential, the rest being quite weak.
Might turn out to be a dud and a moneypit extension in the long run.

At 7,500 pphpd (about 4,000 at Mt. Dennis), it's hard to argue this would be a dud. It depends on how much ridership depends on new development.

At 7,500 pphpd (about 4,000 at Mt. Dennis), it's hard to argue this would be a dud. It depends on how much ridership depends on new development.

How did they come up with this figure? How accurate is this projection especially if were dealing with single detached housing for the majority of the areas; most with their own vehicles? Unless there is a serious time benefit for taking transit,
many who have their own cars will drive them as their primary source of transportation. IMO I would take the rosy numbers with a grain of salt. After all, Line 4 and most stations in the upper University leg of Line 1 had great projections... look at them now.

According to the report:

• Eglinton West represents a gap in the regional rapid transit network serving longer distance trips
• An Eglinton LRT extension improves transit for Etobicoke residents, particularly Northern Etobicoke
• The LRT option in the approved EA can be further refined, including consideration of reducing the number
of stops
• LRT better serves the travel market in the corridor compared to BRT
• A hybrid option with at-grade LRT and grade separations at select targeted locations may provide benefits

upload_2016-6-21_17-43-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-21_17-43-13.png
    upload_2016-6-21_17-43-13.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 590
The 11 stop option is far superior to the 17 stop one. Mulham, Russell Valley, Wincott, Widdicombe Hill, Rangoon and even Renforth are superfluous.

The 11 stop option is far superior to the 17 stop one. Mulham, Russell Valley, Wincott, Widdicombe Hill, Rangoon and even Renforth are superfluous.

They have to balance ridership and speed. I haven't read the new repot yet, but older reports had fewer stops providing little speed benefit, and a decrease in overall ridership, while increasing operational costs because a supplemental bus service was needed.

How did they come up with this figure? How accurate is this projection especially if were dealing with single detached housing for the majority of the areas; most with their own vehicles? Unless there is a serious time benefit for taking transit,
many who have their own cars will drive them as their primary source of transportation. IMO I would take the rosy numbers with a grain of salt. After all, Line 4 and most stations in the upper University leg of Line 1 had great projections... look at them now.

As usual these projections are inaccurate, and they look outdated to me. The number of people boarding at the airport end is way too low and seems to assume that few people will be transferring from MiWay buses. The projected ridership between Mount Dennis and Eglinton West is too high because the Kitchener and Barrie GO lines should divert quite a few riders from the LRT, and these projections must be outdated and predate electrification plans for those GO lines.

See page 12 of the "Eglinton West" report for a graph showing projected ridership (I assume this is eastbound AM peak).

According to the report:

• Eglinton West represents a gap in the regional rapid transit network serving longer distance trips
• An Eglinton LRT extension improves transit for Etobicoke residents, particularly Northern Etobicoke
• The LRT option in the approved EA can be further refined, including consideration of reducing the number
of stops
• LRT better serves the travel market in the corridor compared to BRT
• A hybrid option with at-grade LRT and grade separations at select targeted locations may provide benefits

View attachment 79369
You have got to be kidding me.

What is this, a 25km transit line from Brentcliffe to YYZ, and they grade-separate all but 2 intersections? This is the epitome of incompetence.

And why do they need an East Mall stop. The East Mall bus will remain, so those people can simply take the bus to the Martin Grove station.

The grade separations proposed (which are critical, in my view) have pushed the cost up a fair bit. Islington ought to be added.

- Paul

Back