News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 400     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I would expect a fairly standard station design with some unique element for each station. Yes, probably closer to "throw a cheap mural on the wall".

And you know what, I'm OK with that. As long as the space is still pleasant and functional I don't think fancy architecture is that important. It's a space where you won't be spending more than a few minutes anyway.

I'll point this this image from Munich again as my prediction for what we're going to see on Eglinton. Basic box (almost no "architecture" at all), fairly simple and easy-to-maintain wall panels to add a unique element, but still bright, functional, and pleasant.

I'd love to see something like that in the stations.

I just don't want to see a depressing concrete walls, or the washroom architecture of the Bloor Danforth.

It's a space where you won't be spending more than a few minutes anyway.

I don't know about that. Many people will be spending 30 minutes to an hour on the line every day. I think this deserves some half decent architecture in there.

A station like Bessarion station would be fine in my opinion (in terms of design) for stations like Eg & Bayview or Laird.

Or stations like Mont Royal in Montreal or 24th & Mission BART in SF.

I personally think the Spadina extension stations are way too elaborate and large to be appropriate for most stations on Eglinton. Maybe at Don Mills there could be a larger station.

The stations should be unique and attractive spaces with tall ceilings, interesting entrance pavilions, attractive finishes and impressive works of art. Good design makes commuting by transit more interesting and adds value to neighbourhoods.

I don't know about that. Many people will be spending 30 minutes to an hour on the line every day. I think this deserves some half decent architecture in there.

Fair point, but I meant within the stations themselves. I think it's more important that the vehicles offer comfort than that the stations offer great architecture because that's really where people will actually be spending their time. (New York certainly takes that philosophy to an extreme, though.)

Interestingly, in the budget, the Eglinton West Extension and the SmartTrack Stations are grouped into two distinct projects. I wonder if that's foreshadowing what we all hope will be the case.
budget.jpg

Attachments

• budget.jpg
    budget.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 593
I'm shocked (SHOCKED!) that Eglinton West was mentioned in the budget. I was thinking that this project was dead.

Why is it that only SmartTrack and ECLRT west are listed there? There are plenty of other unfunded projects.

I'm shocked (SHOCKED!) that Eglinton West was mentioned in the budget. I was thinking that this project was dead.

Why is it that only SmartTrack and ECLRT west are listed there? There are plenty of other unfunded projects.

Hmm, but extension of what? Of the Crosstown, or of SmartTrack. I think it means that they'll agree to build something west of Mount Dennis, be it light rail or heavy. Or an extension eastward of the Mississauga Busway?

Hmm, but extension of what? Of the Crosstown, or of SmartTrack. I think it means that they'll agree to build something west of Mount Dennis, be it light rail or heavy. Or an extension eastward of the Mississauga Busway?

Regardless of what gets built (or if nothing gets built) on Eg West between Mt Dennis and Renforth, I hope that the TTC will run good express bus service to fill this gap until the given thing gets built.

If something does actually get funded it will take years of construction. I think an express bus line between Mt Dennis station on the ECLRT and the Pearson could work, stopping at Renforth to connect with the Mississauga transitway.

Mt Dennis station should have a big bus bay for convenient transfers.

Regardless of what gets built (or if nothing gets built) on Eg West between Mt Dennis and Renforth, I hope that the TTC will run good express bus service to fill this gap until the given thing gets built.

If something does actually get funded it will take years of construction. I think an express bus line between Mt Dennis station on the ECLRT and the Pearson could work, stopping at Renforth to connect with the Mississauga transitway.

Mt Dennis station should have a big bus bay for convenient transfers.

How this?
Mount Dennis buses.jpg

Some of the bus bays are longer for articulated buses.

Attachments

• Mount Dennis buses.jpg
    Mount Dennis buses.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,246
Oh great news.

I wonder how soon construction can begin on the stations?

Also, I hope the firm isn't in control of the architectural design.

Wouldn't it be something that by the time the line is opened and running, the Liberals may not even be in power for the ribbon cutting. Unless they somehow speed up the construction of those stations instead of waiting till its all tunneled before commencing and working on it 24 hrs a day

Back