News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Are there any concept pictures of what the inside of the stations at platform level are going to look like? Kind of like the renderings that have been floating around for the Subway extension.

Although I wouldnt put the Spadina/St.Clair lines on the subway map, I would have somehow differentiated them from mixed-traffic lines on the streetcar map.

Putting them in a darker red and the mixed-traffic areas in a ligher red would have been a nice touch on the map, so that people could see where the lines are ROW or not.

ROW is better still than mixed-traffic so for a newbie its nice to know if I can expect the streetcar to be slow, or mind numbingly slow.

Well firstly, re: Eglinton, you'd have to show the underground section like you would any other subway, right? It's 10km of underground tunnel running frequent 60-90m trains, clearly, that's rapid transit. It behaves like any other subway line.

The surface section you'd have to show as well, otherwise people won't know that the line continues. If you only show the underground part, that gives the false impression that the line ends.

Therefore the only real debate is whether you use a thinner line line for the surface section. I don't really see the benefit of this, considering that there aren't that many stops. However, I don't really have a major problem with it becoming a thinner line east of Laird, it would still be useful.

The more difficult question is the Finch & Sheppard LRTs (when they're built). They have more stops, and are more geographically skewed towards the east or west, so it would be more difficult to fit them on the map. The map posted above only shows 4-5 stops for the Finch line.

Now, why not Spadina & St Clair & QQW?
- Speed to slow
- Behaves like a bus line (you have to request stops)
- Too many stops to fit on map

I have no problem adding these as thin red lines like the airport bus, but then you start saying "why not other frequent bus lines", and you don't want an extremely complicated map.

Although I wouldnt put the Spadina/St.Clair lines on the subway map, I would have somehow differentiated them from mixed-traffic lines on the streetcar map.

Putting them in a darker red and the mixed-traffic areas in a ligher red would have been a nice touch on the map, so that people could see where the lines are ROW or not.

ROW is better still than mixed-traffic so for a newbie its nice to know if I can expect the streetcar to be slow, or mind numbingly slow.

Maybe a good solution would be to include them in the same line weight and colour as the Airport Rocket on the new subway map that's been put up in certain locations. Don't name any stops or anything, just include dedicated ROW streetcar routes on there, as kind of a supplemental thing.

Maybe a good solution would be to include them in the same line weight and colour as the Airport Rocket on the new subway map that's been put up in certain locations. Don't name any stops or anything, just include dedicated ROW streetcar routes on there, as kind of a supplemental thing.
Some of the non-dedicated lines are faster than the dedicated lines.

Where do you stop?

Keep it simple. Don't add them. Stick to Line 1 through 4, and add Line 5 to 7 if and when they open. There's obvious reasons for adding the airport express bus. Anything else is unnecessary clutter.

Some of the non-dedicated lines are faster than the dedicated lines.

Where do you stop?

Keep it simple. Don't add them. Stick to Line 1 through 4, and add Line 5 to 7 if and when they open. There's obvious reasons for adding the airport express bus. Anything else is unnecessary clutter.

I think it's only clutter if you start including things like station labels. If you simply add a thin red line with a little "512" at the terminus, I don't think it adds very much clutter as well.

As for where you stop, I'd stop at any routes that do not operate entirely in their own ROW, with the exception of the airport rocket. This would drop routes like Bathurst from the list. Spadina, Harbourfront, St. Clair West, and Airport, that's it.

Yes, but it can also be much much slower. At least with a ROW you get a greater degree of consistency and reliability.
You've not stood at Spadina station for 20 minutes recently with either a lack of streetars, or a line much to long to fit on streetcars recently have you ...

You've not stood at Spadina station for 20 minutes recently with either a lack of streetars, or a line much to long to fit on streetcars recently have you ...

Not recently, but I've used the line plenty of times after a Jays game. The biggest issue with the line IMO is stop locations relative to lights, which I understand with the rebuild has been partially rectified.

In any case, those delays you speak of are service related, and aren't inherently due to the presence or lack of a ROW.

My point is simply that dedicated ROW streetcar routes are 'higher up there' on the transit ladder than your typical streetcar or bus route, and they should have some kind of recognition on the rapid transit map, even if it's just as a simple red line with no stations or anything. If designed properly, it shouldn't be visually cluttering or distracting at all.

Not recently, but I've used the line plenty of times after a Jays game. The biggest issue with the line IMO is stop locations relative to lights, which I understand with the rebuild has been partially rectified.
On Spadina, no changes. On Waterfront? There's more lights than there used to be, and it's significantly slower than it used to be.

My point is simply that dedicated ROW streetcar routes are 'higher up there' on the transit ladder than your typical streetcar or bus route, and they should have some kind of recognition on the rapid transit map ....
Key words. "rapid transit map". Spadina isn't rapid. Nor is St. Clair which now has a slower scheduled time than it did before they started the conversion. The airport bus on the other hand is rapid, with a higher average speed of any of the subway lines.

On Spadina, no changes. On Waterfront? There's more lights than there used to be, and it's significantly slower than it used to be..

IIRC, this is a temporary situation due to construction. Signal priority has't been implemented and there may be more traffic lights than before as a temporary measure. Once construction is complete the LRVs should move faster.

I read this on Steve Munro's blog.

IIRC, this is a temporary situation due to construction. Signal priority has't been implemented and there may be more traffic lights than before as a temporary measure. Once construction is complete the LRVs should move faster.
It will be faster than it is now. But with more crossings and lights than before, it's not going to be as fast as it was before construction started.

I thought there was an unspoken rule about traditional transit maps which was that lines shown must be grade-separated. Or at least almost entirely grade-separate. I don't think Sheppard East or Eglinton East should be shown. And if they are, they should be shown as a line with significantly smaller width and no stations.

Didn't we have a short period where we showed Harbourfront, and public opinion forced its removal?

Back