News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Does Black Creek NEED a stop IF there is no longer going to be a LRT storage facility located there and IF there is going to be a stop at Weston?

WHy does there need to be a stop for a stoarge facility.. Why coulnt the trains simply exit the tunnel into the storage when they need to.. Regular TTC users dont need to stop there regularly simply to let a few trains short turn or a few TTC staff to exit to their cars.

WHy does there need to be a stop for a stoarge facility.. Why coulnt the trains simply exit the tunnel into the storage when they need to.. Regular TTC users dont need to stop there regularly simply to let a few trains short turn or a few TTC staff to exit to their cars.

I must have misunderstood your previous post.

When you said "IF there is no longer going to be a LRT storage facility located there" I assumed you meant that you had seen/heard something about there was no longer going to be an LRT storage facility located there. Regardless of whether they put the line on the surface, underground or in the air, you are still going to have to put your vehicles somewhere. Hence the question of where you thought the car house was going to go if not at the proposed Black Creek yard.

As for a stop at Black Creek, have you seen anything from Ford Nation Official Headquarters or Metrolinx that an expensive underground station will have to be built there?

In addition to the existing No Frills on the south west corner, there are also plans for a community centre on the south east corner. A surface stop to service those (and the adjoining parks) wouldn't be a significant expense. Obviously an underground one would be more costly.

The contracts awarded last week were only for 5 stations, Oakwood and Chaplin not included... seems like Rob Ford or one of his cronies is making changes.
I doubt anyone in the mayor's office cares one bit about the optimal spacing of underground Eglinton LRT stations.

A more likely scenario is that they have, for whatever reason, not awarded it yet. Given the lettering on the awarded contracts - I'd expect to see the other two stations awarded shortly.

I doubt anyone in the mayor's office cares one bit about the optimal spacing of underground Eglinton LRT stations.

A more likely scenario is that they have, for whatever reason, not awarded it yet. Given the lettering on the awarded contracts - I'd expect to see the other two stations awarded shortly.

It's certainly possible. Although back in 2009 Steve Munro said that Chaplin was "rumoured to be under attack from Metrolinx boffins because it would slow down crosstown journeys". And the Dufferin-Oakwood-Allen stop spacing is closer than on the rest of the original underground segment.

If it was just two random stations I'd be less concerned. But the fact that it's Oakwood and Chaplin specifically makes me worry. It could very well be that Metrolinx is taking advantage of the fact that the plans for Eglinton are up in the air and getting rid of some stations that they never wanted in the first place. Or maybe they're cutting stations to offset for the increased cost of the line. Either way, not good.

It's certainly possible. Although back in 2009 Steve Munro said that Chaplin was "rumoured to be under attack from Metrolinx boffins because it would slow down crosstown journeys". And the Dufferin-Oakwood-Allen stop spacing is closer than on the rest of the original underground segment.

If it was just two random stations I'd be less concerned. But the fact that it's Oakwood and Chaplin specifically makes me worry. It could very well be that Metrolinx is taking advantage of the fact that the plans for Eglinton are up in the air and getting rid of some stations that they never wanted in the first place. Or maybe they're cutting stations to offset for the increased cost of the line. Either way, not good.

Maybe they can shift the stations on either side closer together to close the gap a little bit. It wouldn't account for much of a difference, but shaving 100m or so off each end could help. That's one thing the Annex stations on the Bloor line do very well. Both Spadina and Bathurst stations have exists at both ends of the platform, so the you're never that far from a station door. Having only 1 entrance makes it a pain.

Isn't Chaplin the point where the TBMs will be extracted? Hardly seems logical to dig a great big hole there and not fill it with a station. Would certainly pee off the locals, too.

One thing I am curious about is whether the good burghers of northern Forest Hill may not [Iwant[/I], say, a Chaplin station. I certainly don't think midtown Torontonians c. 2011 mimicking the legendary (and possibly aprocryphal) fight to keep the Red Line out of Georgetown in DC in the 70s, but you never know. I think public awareness of the Eglinton line, even along its route, is still probably extremely low, so it's too early to tell.

One thing I am curious about is whether the good burghers of northern Forest Hill may not [Iwant[/I], say, a Chaplin station. I certainly don't think midtown Torontonians c. 2011 mimicking the legendary (and possibly aprocryphal) fight to keep the Red Line out of Georgetown in DC in the 70s, but you never know. I think public awareness of the Eglinton line, even along its route, is still probably extremely low, so it's too early to tell.

I would counter that with saying: well, you know the line is going along Eglinton anyway, so the disruption is already going to be there. Why not at least make the disruption and the line itself worth your while? Why fight against a station there?

One thing I am curious about is whether the good burghers of northern Forest Hill may not [Iwant[/I], say, a Chaplin station.

An inspection of page 10 of http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proj...n_lrt/pdf/2009-11-20_display_panels_part2.pdf will tell you a few things:
- there are few, if any, of the big-time Forest Hill homes anywhere near the station due to geography and landuse;
- the station will have minimal surface impact with it's main entrance on the north side of Eglinton and only a single secondary exit on the south side, all well removed from any truly expensive home.

And if you'll have a look at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...FTSw5dzo3phfS_nZVAJc4Q&cbp=12,256.74,,0,20.42 you'll see that to the west there is a big hill to get over to get to Bathurst and another to the east to climb to get to Avenue Rd. That's a significant inconvenience for those on both sides of Eglinton who currently can hop on a bus east or westbound at Chaplin.

Hmm ... okay, yes, I see your point.

Other stations we might want to be keeping an eye out for:

Widdicombe Hill/Lloyd Manor
Wincott/Bemersyde
Russell/Eden Valley
Mulham
Rangoon

Would anyone really miss them?

Other stations we might want to be keeping an eye out for:

Widdicombe Hill/Lloyd Manor
Wincott/Bemersyde
Russell/Eden Valley
Mulham
Rangoon

Would anyone really miss them?

Getting rid of Rangoon would be a problem since it provides access to Eringate and the nearest stops are Renforth (around 1km away and in the middle of nowhere) and East Mall (on the other side of a highway). And I'm guessing the people in that retirement home would have a problem with axing Mulham. The other ones probably not so much.

Of course these aren't really stops to be keeping an eye out for since that section of Eglinton isn't being yet.

Re: Chaplin station:

There is also the high school (Forest Hill CI) and the library basically right there. Those are huge trip generators. It also has a number of apartment buildings east of the top of the hill and marks the resumption of commercial strip. \

It is one of those instances where a bit of local knowledge really helps.

Back