News   Jul 17, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 604     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Genuine question here. Why isn’t the line buried in Scarborough? Why do Scarborough residents have to wait outside and share traffic lanes with the LRT while the inner burbs get the gold treatment?

They're not sharing traffic lanes. Exclusive ROW means what it says. If you're not an LRT train or emergency vehicle, expect to get fined. Heavily. Apart from a few very short sections, Eglinton isn't losing any traffic lanes. The city loses more lane space around condos being constructed (with many being apparently used by construction crews as an impromptu parking lot for their personal vehicles while on the job) than it ever will with the LRT, but I haven't heard nearly the level of anger over that compared to the complaining over the Eglinton LRT and how it apparently will end civilization.

Why does Rosedale only deserve an above-ground, open air station? Why is Victoria Park above-ground and open to the elements? I don't hear any complaints about those stations, even though Scarberians will feel a chill wind whistling through Victoria Park on a cold February day. Oh, but they're subways, so the wind's different. Or something.

I have my doubts about that being a genuine question.

Even in the unlikely event he won the race, he would not have an overwhelming mandate of any kind (let's forget for a moment his chances of getting a truly cooperative council is zilch) - and he who pays for the project sets the agenda - even if one forgets for a moment that EC is a province-only project. What's he going to do? Raise taxes again for a section that benefits Scarborough only? Good luck getting that through council.

AoD

I wouldn't rule out him chaining himself to a bulldozer. I really wouldn't.

Even in the unlikely event he won the race, he would not have an overwhelming mandate of any kind (let's forget for a moment his chances of getting a truly cooperative council is zilch) - and he who pays for the project sets the agenda - even if one forgets for a moment that EC is a province-only project. What's he going to do? Raise taxes again for a section that benefits Scarborough only? Good luck getting that through council.

AoD

Exactly, very unlikely series of events here.

We will have to wait and see....but he didn't really have much council support when he hijacked the RT replacement to subway land and prior to him agreeing to cough up city funds wasn't that proposed LRT all provincial money too?

That was more initiated by Stintz & Debaeremaeker than Ford, along with the provincial Liberals, he went along and took credit. It was also much earlier in that projects progress than Eglinton now.

You could say that it's too far along, too late to make changes. They are already doing design meetings with the bidders for the major contract that includes the surface part this year, although that contract doesn't become finalized till Spring 2015.

Anyways it's a huge "if", this is very very hypothetical. Clearly Ford didn't get his way during his first term as mayor. If he did, Eglinton would not be under construction, and the Sheppard east subway extension would be going ahead..

He also implied he would get rid of streetcars during his 1st term and they are still running.

So there are multiple hypotheticals that need to happen to even get to this scenario.

Source:
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9038

As long as it's not under consttuction, they can still change, just like the did the SRT. I don't think that the streetcars where ever going to go anywhere imo, too costly.

AoD

We will have to wait and see....but he didn't really have much council support when he hijacked the RT replacement to subway land and prior to him agreeing to cough up city funds wasn't that proposed LRT all provincial money too?
We'll see, this will most likely be moot come October 28th, but until then let's hope they get something built on Eglinton East so they can't reverse it.

As long as it's not under consttuction, they can still change, just like the did the SRT. I don't think that the streetcars where ever going to go anywhere imo, too costly.

The province can say no if they want to, and use that as the reason, or any other reason.

Anyways.. this is extremely unlikely so it's not really worth discussing in depth in my opinion.

Given Ford's wandering attention when it comes to transit (before this week he'd more or less ignored Eglinton in favour of stumping for Sheppard or Finch to have subways), I'm not taking this at all seriously. His attention will wander back to Sheppard, and then on October 28, to nowhere at all.

There was a nice article recently from the National Post talking about the many condo developments that are coming on Eglinton, thanks to the crosstown.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-mass-transit-sparks-gold-rush-of-developers/

14887914822_b63b4290ef_b.jpg

Owner of Yitz's:

“We’re here, we are operating, we are delivering, we are catering, we are still selling cigars,” says Mr. Silver, as servers bustle with platters piled high with pastrami sandwiches. “Our customers do not come by transit,” he adds. “They are not going to switch over.”
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-mass-transit-sparks-gold-rush-of-developers/

Wow... not very welcoming to new customers eh? The one time I went there it was by transit. I can't say I'm eager to go again after hearing that.

Overall a good read though. At least some people & business owners have positive attitudes about building transit.

Woah, 214 below-grade parking spots at the Mcdonalds site on Bayview-Eglinton?

Who is going to use that?

The parking is not under the McDonalds site...the map shows the McDonalds was expropriate to build the station....the parking is under a proposed 2 storey retail/commercial building just up the street.....my guess is that the retail portion of that must be a car/parking heavy use (eg a grocery store) for that many spots under a 2 storey building.

Maybe the parking spots are for auto-sharing. Some of the spots could also be converted into underground bicycle parking. Or for the kids to play ball hockey on. Or maybe the lower parking levels could be used to temporary hold storm rainwater runoff.

Last edited:

Back