News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 794     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 571     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Eglinton and Don Mills as well.

Though it looks like we are settling for your standard condo high rises on the Celestica site. As much of an improvement it is over the dead-space the site currently is, I wish for more.

The proposal looks to be 3/4 mixed residential and commercial with the remaining land being commercial only. Sounds like a good thing to me. I like these mixed use developments.

Dufferin and eglinton behind the shoppers and dollarama parking lot. Behind the strip club. Rip down the circle healing church. The rexhall and the mistsubishi dealership.

I would suggest ripping down th dealership at Leslie, but that would kill half the station's ridership ;)

Leaside west of Laird will have plenty to say about that!
Why?

Yeah, but he's wrong, thats the best part, and he is complaining about something that will inevitably give him and others tons of business.

Some people can be complete idiots and still manage to succeed in this world, thats how good we have it here.

Have you ever noticed that most businesses close earlier in the city than the suburbs?

Leaside west of Laird will have plenty to say about that!

I would suggest ripping down th dealership at Leslie, but that would kill half the station's ridership ;)

Why?

Nooo.. that's my dealership :). And yes, I do take transit from Leslie when my car is in service for a long time. There's an abandoned hotel tower there too.

Re: opposition/nimbyism: There is always opposition to development, but it happens anyways.

Check out this article from 2011:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...er-condo-clash-brewing-at-yonge-and-eglinton/

“I don’t intend to allow developers to get their way,” says Josh Matlow, the loquacious, feisty rookie councillor for Ward 22, St. Paul’s, nursing a mocha at Starbucks, just east of the corner on Tuesday. “This will not end up being taller than Minto. If the developers insist on going as far as they have proposed, they are going to have a fight on their hands.”

3 years later: it's under construction and taller than Minto.

Eglinton Connects specifically calls for redevelopment of many areas where the LRT is, so from a city planning perspective, there's no doubt development will happen. Any developer can point to the LRT and Eglinton Connects.

The proposal looks to be 3/4 mixed residential and commercial with the remaining land being commercial only. Sounds like a good thing to me. I like these mixed use developments.

If this was Vaughan or Markham I'd applaud it too.

For something more in the city, I would prefer something that didn't have so much dead space. I don't know, perhaps it is just the European in me speaking out, I should just face it that we will never build livable cities in North America. Just more and more of the same appeasement to the car, even in an area that will likely be the future interchange station of two transit lines.

Last edited:
If this was Vaughan or Markham I'd applaud it too.

For something more in the city, I would prefer something that didn't have so much dead space. I don't know, perhaps it is just the European in me speaking out, I should just face it that we will never build livable cities in North America. Just more and more of the same appeasement to the car, even in an area that will likely be the future interchange station of two transit lines.

A bit of an overstatement in my opinion. Many cities in North America are livable..

A bit of an overstatement in my opinion. Many cities in North America are livable..

Sure, Boston and New York for instance. They also happen to be one of the few cities that grew and expanded before the car.

The downtown core in Toronto doesn't have it so bad either, I just wish we could take that model and expand it outside the core. (And also to the waterfront, but that seems to be a lost battle judging from the sea of condos)

Sure, Boston and New York for instance. They also happen to be one of the few cities that grew and expanded before the car.

The downtown core in Toronto doesn't have it so bad either, I just wish we could take that model and expand it outside the core. (And also to the waterfront, but that seems to be a lost battle judging from the sea of condos)

Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Montreal, just to name a few. There are some great cities in North America, at least I think so.

I think many places are interesting and have charm in Toronto's suburbs too. Maybe not in terms of a built-form or architecture perspective, but to me, many strip malls in Scarborough for example have very interesting retail & culture. It's not a situation where it's all McDonald's and Walmarts.

Anyways back on topic, the development at Eglinton & Don Mills replaces vast acres of parking lots in an extremely suburban intersection with mixed use & high density. If it happens it could be a great example of transit oriented development. I think it's a great thing.

Ok, I was just walking the dog and I saw in the span of 2 minutes of walking on Eglinton about 6 or 7 cyclists pass me by, at 10pm. All of them happened to be on the sidewalk as well.

I know for a fact that even more cyclists use side streets like Roehampton and Soudan to avoid the busy road.

The argument that bike lanes won't work on Eglinton is utter bullshit. Calling it out as it is.

The tunnel tracker hasn't been updated in almost three weeks now. Hmmmm.
The headwalls for Oakwood station are no where near being ready. In fact, only utilities were relocated in that area, and headwall construction has not started yet. Hence, the TBMs will be idle for a while now.

The headwalls for Oakwood station are no where near being ready. In fact, only utilities were relocated in that area, and headwall construction has not started yet. Hence, the TBMs will be idle for a while now.

wow no wonder construction is going to take until 2020.... no sense of urgency and coordination....

Back