News   Jul 17, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 778     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Does anyone know if there is any actual data as to the number of cyclists on any given route or at an intersection?

So far, without any real numbers, all of this boils down to "I cycle, ergo untold millions cycle" or "I drive, ergo nobody cycles". It seems that neither side has any particular data beyond the anecdotal in this discussion.

In terms of spider being afraid that he "won't be allowed to drive anywhere in 10 years", my personal prediction is that traffic will be so bad in the future that people won't even want to drive. Things that allow you to the possibility to not be in traffic like subways, LRT and BRT will be even more valuable. In a way this is already happening. Traffic will get worse and worse in the future as our population grows.

The War on the Car will be glorious. Mark my words, Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard are just the beginning. Soon we'll be expanding LRT and BRT to Eglinton West and Jane and Don Mills. And where there isn't demand for LRT or BRT, we'll still rip up driving lanes for measly bicyclists and bus lanes, just to screw with drivers. Eventually, we'll close entire streets to cars. Do you like driving on Queen or on Yonge? What about the Gardiner? Better enjoy it while it lasts because it won't be long before they're gone. Oh I can hear the screams of horror from drivers and I love it. [Insert sinister laugh] :cool:

Does anyone know if there is any actual data as to the number of cyclists on any given route or at an intersection?

So far, without any real numbers, all of this boils down to "I cycle, ergo untold millions cycle" or "I drive, ergo nobody cycles". It seems that neither side has any particular data beyond the anecdotal in this discussion.

It is easy to count how many bikes there are in the summer. Generally you see a fair number around U of T and Ryerson and some other parts of downtown, and some neighbourhoods immediately east and west of downtown but very, very few elsewhere in Toronto. Yonge/Eglinton and the surrounding area there are very few (even though this isn't really that rich a neighbourhood - there are very expensive houses here, but there are many low income apartment buildings where students live as well). Never mind Mississauga, where there are bike lanes in some areas where bikes are a very rare sight. Or Statistics Canada keep track of how many people ride bikes to work - tends to be around 1-2% in most places, which is practically a rounding error.

Personally I think that bicycling is a fad and it will go away. The many money-losing bike sharing systems that hardly anyone uses is an obvious sign of this. Riding a bike on busy roads with or without "bike lanes" is too dangerous and most people realize this. Practically everywhere where the bike fad is popular it is easy to get around using transit which is much safer. Many of the "bike lanes" in Toronto where roads were narrowed, such as Dupont, are very underused, and mostly serve to make traffic worse.

It looks like you can look up how many people ride a bike to work on Statistics Canada by riding (2011 voluntary long form census, so probably not that accurate, look for "NHS Profiles"). It's only 2.1% in Toronto but 7.8% in Trinity-Spadina, and 2.4% in St. Paul's (the riding where most of the Yonge/Eglinton area is located in). It seems like this number is unusually high in a few NDP ridings where Olivia Chow will likely do well but very low elsewhere.

Personally I think that bicycling is a fad and it will go away. The many money-losing bike sharing systems that hardly anyone uses is an obvious sign of this. Riding a bike on busy roads with or without "bike lanes" is too dangerous and most people realize this. Practically everywhere where the bike fad is popular it is easy to get around using transit which is much safer. Many of the "bike lanes" in Toronto where roads were narrowed, such as Dupont, are very underused, and mostly serve to make traffic worse.

I make regular use of the Dupont bike lanes. The runnymede bike lanes, on the other hand, I think are a mistake. I lived in the area and 90% of the time I'd find the cyclists either 1) going the wrong direction or 2) on the sidewalk, even though the bike lanes were there.

Riding a bike on busy roads with or without "bike lanes" is too dangerous and most people realize this.
Automobiles are too dangerous. But they're most dangerous for people outside the car than inside of it. Like 7-year-old girls crossing the street. The chance of someone else being injured because you drove your car is far greater than if you had chosen to walk or cycle.

The War on the Car will be glorious. Mark my words, Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard are just the beginning. Soon we'll be expanding LRT and BRT to Eglinton West and Jane and Don Mills. And where there isn't demand for LRT or BRT, we'll still rip up driving lanes for measly bicyclists and bus lanes, just to screw with drivers. Eventually, we'll close entire streets to cars. Do you like driving on Queen or on Yonge? What about the Gardiner? Better enjoy it while it lasts because it won't be long before they're gone. Oh I can hear the screams of horror from drivers and I love it. [Insert sinister laugh] :cool:

LOL

Yeah it's such a fad. The >100 year old fad ;)

Cars are the fad. Rising gas prices and congestion will combine to make the driving experience hell. We in North America will pay the price for building our cities auto-centric instead of for people.

Cars are the fad. Rising gas prices and congestion will combine to make the driving experience hell. We in North America will pay the price for building our cities auto-centric instead of for people.

If gas prices really rise a lot then it will actually "solve" congestion ;).

Many parts of major North American cities are actually well suited to adapt to a scenario where gas prices skyrocket beyond what people can afford, assume transit runs and can pick up the ridership boost.

Many cores of North American cities were not built for the car, they were built before we started building for the car.

Examples: Much of New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal, downtown Toronto, Boston, Portland etc, could adapt to significantly less car usage.

Even LA could adapt as long as they run frequent bus services, they're rapidly improving their system and bus network.

Was there such a thing as a bike lane before WWII when car ownership was not widespread? Subways, trains and streetcars were popular ways of getting around in those days, but I don't think bike lanes existed in those days. Given that taking the train is far safer than driving, and riding a bike is far more dangerous, I don't think that the government should be encouraging people to use an unsafe method of transportation. It makes no sense to waste $150 million putting bike lanes on Eglinton if 98% of the population does not bike to work.

Who said John Tory doesn't like bikes?

BtVVdNoCIAAsO0w.jpg

John ToryVerified account ‏@johntoryTO

Great bike ride and conversation with @JaredKolb this morning @cycletoronto #TOpoli #Toronto pic.twitter.com/EEHjgMZecn

Retweet
Favorite

Embedded image permalink

In terms of spider being afraid that he "won't be allowed to drive anywhere in 10 years", my personal prediction is that traffic will be so bad in the future that people won't even want to drive.
No my friend, Spider's fear is not because of your dystopian view of the future it is because he will be 89 years old, not too many people this age still driving. Maybe justifiably so in most cases.

Back