News   Jul 17, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 781     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I prefer indoor, secure bike parking stations. I worry that the ECLRT bike facilities will be nothing more than the typical on-street bike parking.

The main difference...price. A bunch or rings attached to a concrete pad should only cost $5000-20,000. A building, maintenence, janitorial, security, etc....I'd be scared how much the City paid for it.

As well, there are a lot of smaller areas that can be converted for outdoor bike parking. The indoor one would not fit into the dense urban envionment at most stations.

I agree with the other comments. Buy a beater bike and a good lock (which could cost you more than the beater bike).

I hope the City gets their act together and puts bike parking at every station where there is room.

It's a great idea to have bike parking near transit stations.

Many people can transform their 10-20 min walk to the subway station into a 3-10 min bike ride. Feeder buses are good but bikes can extend the reach of the stations into areas & streets which are more difficult for buses to serve.

One thing about the Eglinton crosstown is that some entrances are in what are currently plaza parking lots. Hopefully they become small public squares, maybe smaller versions of something like Mt Royal station in Montreal:

Fullscreen%20capture%2028122012%2035211%20PM(1).jpg

It could be done at stations like Bayview or Laird.

From the plans I've seen many stations will have plaza's out front or immediately beside them. From memory I know Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin and Chaplin will all definitely have notable public spaces.

I know you're kidding, but it doesn't necessarily take any space away from cars:

http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/bayview-station

bayviewprimaryentrance_1.jpg

That's the current plan for bayview station. You can see there's room for bike racks in front of the station.
That's just replacing a McDonalds.

There should probably be a bike parking station at Eglinton station too, maybe where the abandon bus bays are now.
The people who designed that illustration must be holding a grudge on fast food.

Perhaps Bayview station (on the Crosstown) can have a McDonald's built above the southeast entrance; after all, Dundas West and St. Clair stations both have McDonald's within the paid area and McDonald's would help offset the cost of maintaining the station.

I know you're kidding, but it doesn't necessarily take any space away from cars:

http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/bayview-station

bayviewprimaryentrance_1.jpg

That's the current plan for bayview station. You can see there's room for bike racks in front of the station.
That's just replacing a McDonalds.

There should probably be a bike parking station at Eglinton station too, maybe where the abandon bus bays are now.

A slab of concrete and a nondescript rectangular box? Surely Metrolinx can do better. At least plant a tree or something.

The people who designed that illustration must be holding a grudge on fast food.

Perhaps Bayview station (on the Crosstown) can have a McDonald's built above the southeast entrance; after all, Dundas West and St. Clair stations both have McDonald's within the paid area and McDonald's would help offset the cost of maintaining the station.

Ha ha.. common Johnny. There are plenty of McDonald's around.

A slab of concrete and a nondescript rectangular box? Surely Metrolinx can do better. At least plant a tree or something.

It's just a mock up of the built form, it doesn't necessarily mean it won't have trees or look exactly like that :)

I remember seeing a bike parking lot in Malmo Sweden. Even their "suburban" areas had bike lanes everywhere (at least what the part I saw near the turning tower).

They also had extremely frequent bus service everywhere.

Yah I am noticing this weird thing in Poland (where I am staying for the month) where even in the suburbs and countryside, there are people biking everywhere. Even on the highways. It seems as if every possible demographic minus the elderly and disabled are riding bikes too.

I don't get North America sometimes....

Yah I am noticing this weird thing in Poland (where I am staying for the month) where even in the suburbs and countryside, there are people biking everywhere. Even on the highways. It seems as if every possible demographic minus the elderly and disabled are riding bikes too.

You can thank urban sprawl. I'm so glad Toronto resisted it better than most other NA cities.

You can thank urban sprawl. I'm so glad Toronto resisted it better than most other NA cities.

Yeah, Toronto suburbs are way different than most American suburbs.

In North America, there are cities where biking is relatively successful, Montreal, Portland. I would say the west end of downtown Toronto is a very successful cycling area as well (despite the lack of infrastructure).

In terms of adding bike infrastructure, NYC is a pretty exciting transformation to watch. Although, they're also adding public spaces and things for pedestrians too, it's not just about cycling.

If you're commute was say Yonge-Eg to King-Spadina, a bike commute is only ~30 minutes over ~10km. That's very competitive with transit and driving in traffic (and parking etc).

NA was the only continent that decided that rich people should live in the suburbs. Unsuprising than Chicago, LA, NYC, Mexico City, Guadalajara and Toronto have the worst commutes on the planet.

Back