News   Jul 17, 2024
 442     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 974     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Don't you love it when some earnest young fellow, maybe not even old enough to vote, takes time out of his busy day to explain the ways of the world as he knows them to be. I am patient and grateful for his efforts but unlike him I have been here before, several times.

My two oldest children are now in their fifties and do you know what, they knew everything you know 30 years before you were born and were not the least bit shy about sharing their prescient insights with their good old Dad in a gentle but condescending manner.

Right, individuals change as they age. That doesn't mean they made the wrong choice when they were younger; they simply made different choices. The preaching probably wasn't necessary though.

That said, you must also be aware that there are and will always be others who are younger than their fifties who replaced your former 30 year old kids and may want to have that lifestyle for a decade or two; and when those people hit their fifties they too will be replaced by others who are younger who may want that lifestyle.

Infrastructure should cater to everybody using it, and that includes considering today's 10 to 15 year olds who will be 20 to 25 by the time Eglinton is done. Given the trends for downtown, there ought to be a very large number of 20 to 35 year olds living in the area at that time.

From a selfish point of view (and I don't ride a bike), I like cyclists because they keep the tax bills low. Moving a cyclist takes 1/10th the resources of a car driver and those are taxes I don't need to pay for roadway/parking/transit expansion. Really, cyclists are incredibly cheap to the city. Pedestrians are much the same.

Anything the city can do to move that modal split even 5% toward cycling and walking will save me thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

Last edited:
The only reason I got a drivers license was so I could present ID at bars. :)
Why not get Ontario Photo ID - https://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card - which is what we used to do before they put photographs on driver's licences (though it was a different agency issuing them back then, I think ...).

Though perhaps if yours was from the USA, they ddin't have that there ...

Fortunately we live in a city where the car is not essential. Just got the car back from the garage yesterday (alternator failed) and they had a list of about $1,500 in upcoming repairs (which isn't shocking after nothing major previously on 8-year old car). So it's time to play fix it or trade it.

Sadly i still need a car. Car sharing doesn't work with baby seats

What do you mean - don't the cars used in car sharing have LATCH connectors?

Was there such a thing as a bike lane before WWII when car ownership was not widespread? Subways, trains and streetcars were popular ways of getting around in those days, but I don't think bike lanes existed in those days.

There are numerous examples of dedicated bike tracks/roads even before WW1, and bike lanes as we know them, both on-street lanes and sidepaths, definitely existed before WW2.

Given that taking the train is far safer than driving, and riding a bike is far more dangerous, I don't think that the government should be encouraging people to use an unsafe method of transportation.

Is driving on the highway more dangerous than driving within an urban centre? I don't think the government should be encouraging the former over the latter.

TBM tracker updated, one of them is past Dufferin now: Link

Thanks for putting us back on topic.

Does anyone know what's happening to Dennis, Lea, Humber and Don when the ECLRT is done? Or are they going to be in limbo like the YUSSE tunnel borer?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's happening to Dennis, Lea, Humber and Don when the ECLRT is done? Or are they going to be in limbo like the YUSSE tunnel borer?
Given the manufacturer is out of business, and there's no staff left to refurbish and maintain these in the future, I'd think they are done. The only thing I can possibly ponder is a small run from Don Mills station under the 404 to a portal west of Consumers Road ... but I wouldn't be surprised if this was already in the bid documents ...

Back