News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 365     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This is a very high estimate. The original EA predicted peak demands <2k people west of Jane. The airport in particular is a very weak draw, with peak demand apparently at about 500 passengers during peak hours. (see exhibit 5.1)

Airports are not very good transit destinations. People (here and elsewhere) routinely overestimate their importance as destinations since they seem so emblematic of "travel" and are, by and large, PITAs to get to. The bulk of transit commutes are normal people using transit to get to normal jobs.

Also, I'm not sure a ECLRT would be particularly desirable to YYZ. It wouldn't be much faster than taking the 192 and bloor-danforth.

There are lots of normal jobs in and around the airport. The types of jobs people in Mount Dennis, Oakwood and mid Etobicoke might have.

It certainly wouldn't be a substitute for the ARL or the 192 but it'd be another way for commuters and some air passengers to access the airport. Don't forget the various bus connections - both TTC and suburban (Mississauga, Brampton).

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think it needs to be studied. I'm not expecting huge ridership. 7,000 people would be my high estimate.

From the mobility hub profiles I linked to earlier:

Hub: Start (Transit Share) | End (Transit Share)
Jane @ Eglinton: 4,430 (37%) | 1,860 (13%)
Renforth: 1,670 (10%) | 4,410 (10%)
Airport: 110 (?) | 1,090 (6%)

I predict that the ridership levels for Eglinton are low-balling the potential ridership.

Further, this isn't Sheppard. Sheppard has low ridership because it is a stub, it doesn't go anywhere and it doesn't even connect the Yonge line with the Spadina line. Eglinton, especially with the Eglinton West portion, has many destinations, connects to several lines and major employment areas and would be so long that it'll connect with many connecting bus routes.

Nobody thinks the airport itself will be a major destination on its own, though just having it accessible by our subway system is good enough.

People say the airport and surrounding areas would be a major destination because the airport is surrounded by businesses and offices and factories all around it, not to mention the airport itself. It would generate ridership from people looking for an alternative to reach their workplace. The airport&surrounding region is a major employment area.

There are lots of normal jobs in and around the airport. The types of jobs people in Mount Dennis, Oakwood and mid Etobicoke might have.

It certainly wouldn't be a substitute for the ARL or the 192 but it'd be another way for commuters and some air passengers to access the airport. Don't forget the various bus connections - both TTC and suburban (Mississauga, Brampton).
Exactly. Plus it it would cut commute times in half and open up a variety of ways to get to Dowtown, NYCC, STC, and ECC. It allows people from Martin Grove to get to Scarborough without going downtown, or passing through Bloor Yonge.

The Airport has more jobs then all the town centers too.

If you're doing it trenched in the corridor, or elevated, it adds to the costs of the station since you would likely need elevators to make the stations accessible, rather than a simple surface stop with no elevators/escalators and no staff.

They are already laying sewer and water pipes, digging foundations, and pouring concrete for developments along the north side of Eglinton Avenue West from Martin Grove Road to about half-way to Islington Avenue.

They are already laying sewer and water pipes, digging foundations, and pouring concrete for developments along the north side of Eglinton Avenue West from Martin Grove Road to about half-way to Islington Avenue.

Sheer idiocy. The corridor would make for such easy grade separation!

Any word on what the nature of those developments is?

Sheer idiocy. The corridor would make for such easy grade separation!

Any word on what the nature of those developments is?

There are a number of different townhome developments in the area of Kipling / Eglinton to Martin Grove / Eglinton. Not sure if anything taller has been proposed there lately.

There are a number of different townhome developments in the area of Kipling / Eglinton to Martin Grove / Eglinton. Not sure if anything taller has been proposed there lately.

Brilliant. Town homes next to rapid transit. How appropriate.

Brilliant. Town homes next to rapid transit. How appropriate.

That is funny....i was just reading in another thread how it is not unusual to run rapid transit through neighbourhoods of single family dwellings.....get's confusing following all this stuff.

See this link for the
[h=1]Widdicombe & Eglinton Condos[/h]
on Urban Toronto.

urbantoronto-8697-29565.jpg

Frankly when the time comes to build Eglinton West I would say just expropriate and bulldoze the damn townhouses, clear the Richview corridor, and build it there anyways. Who will really miss them?

That is funny....i was just reading in another thread how it is not unusual to run rapid transit through neighbourhoods of single family dwellings.....get's confusing following all this stuff.

Wasn't the point of that thread that the homes were already there? Here there was a chance to build something more dense. Very different.

Back