News   Jul 12, 2024
 874     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 783     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The 109 is fine as it is. It serves the local neighbourhood, doesn't inconvenience anyone else, and provides additional accessibility to the area, especially as only Eglinton West is equipped with elevators right now along that stretch.

There are certainly some stops that I would like to cut (Queen/Victoria, King/Victoria, Queen/Simcoe, etc), but some of those stops that are located outside the station are quite useful, especially ones outside complex stations where the path back to street level is complicated (such as at Yonge and York Mills or Islington and Bloor).

But Lawrence West is not complex.

But Lawrence West is not complex.

I honestly think a simple solution to the TTC stop spacing is to make a simple rule that stops will be only at Traffic lights and no more stops on both sides of the lights. Traffic lights symbolize high traffic areas. I am a transit advocate but the system slows down when everyone starts wanting their own stops at random areas.

I'm sure there are better threads to discuss TTC stop spacing, maybe we should get back to discussing the Crosstown though? I feel mighty bad that I've led the thread this far off on a tangent, my last post was trying to do that.

The 109 is fine as it is. It serves the local neighbourhood, doesn't inconvenience anyone else, and provides additional accessibility to the area, especially as only Eglinton West is equipped with elevators right now along that stretch.

There are certainly some stops that I would like to cut (Queen/Victoria, King/Victoria, Queen/Simcoe, etc), but some of those stops that are located outside the station are quite useful, especially ones outside complex stations where the path back to street level is complicated (such as at Yonge and York Mills or Islington and Bloor).
Route 109 (along Marlee) can get rather busy, especially given that the Roselawn and the Ridelle stops can get rather busy.

I can walk to Glencairn station, but I prefer to wait to catch the bus instead. I was exaggerating a little.

Also, Lawrence West is a fairly simple station with easy access to the Bus Loop - this is also not always the case, and sometime the travel time for the bus through the station, plus having to walk through the station and back out can be significant. Let's not think about the average able bodied person, but maybe someone who has difficulty walking and would greatly benefit from these stops. Yes the route as a whole may be slowed down slightly, but its not just a waste for lazy people.

The only time I use stops right outside of station is when I see my bus go into the station. I may not have enough time to pay and walk through the station before my bus leaves. So I'll just wait at the stop outside the station. I actually did this today at Wellesley.

Also at sprawling megastations (Downsview, Wilson etc...) the stops right outside the station are invaluable. It can be quite the walk from the street to the bus bays, especially for persons with mobility challenges.

I honestly think a simple solution to the TTC stop spacing is to make a simple rule that stops will be only at Traffic lights ...
Given the Eglinton stops will all be in the middle of the street, it could get pretty messy if they start putting stops where there are no lights!

Cycle Toronto: "John Tory's proposal to cancel Eglinton Connects irresponsible and short-sighted"

Last week, John Tory released his "Fighting Gridlock Initiative" which included a proposal that if elected Mayor, would see him cancel "the $150 million 'Eglinton Connects' proposal, which will increase traffic congestion by reducing traffic lanes." Eglinton Connects is a small component of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project, to which the province is committing $5.35 billion. Eglinton Connects is a transformative plan that is driven by a Complete Streets vision for Eglinton Ave. Tory's proposal would eliminate the plan for Complete Streets, as well as proposed streetscape improvements along Eglinton including the creation of wider sidewalks, protected bicycle lanes, great trees, mid-rise development, street furniture and patio space.

Tory's irresponsible proposal to cancel Eglinton Connects goes against strong support of the plan from schools, community groups, business improvement areas (2), school trustees (2) and residents’ associations, and many individuals who live, work or study near Eglinton. The project was even awarded Transportation Project of the Year Award from the Institute of Transport Engineers. Cycle Toronto fully supports the Eglinton Connects plan for its investment in 11km of protected bike lanes through midtown Toronto.

Key facts:
- Eglinton is not going down "from 5 lanes to 3", as Tory claims. Most of Eglinton has from 2-4 rush hour traffic lanes, with 1 or 2 rush hour bus/taxi lanes (which are parking the rest of the time).
- The new plans have 4 rush hour full traffic lanes over most of Eglinton. In many places this is an increase in auto lanes over what exists today, and much fewer buses on the street.
- The section of Eglinton near Yonge St, which sees the lowest auto traffic of all (600-900 cars per direction per hour), is planned to have 3 traffic lanes - but the heavy bus traffic into Eglinton station will be gone.
- The Yonge & Eglinton intersection moves 70% more pedestrians than cars and is the second busiest pedestrian intersection in the city.
- The Eglinton Connects project will fight congestion by increasing the people-moving capacity of the avenue.
- The LRT can carry up to 15,000 people per hour per direction - the car lanes top out at 2,000.
- The street designs for Eglinton Connects have been worked out in meticulous detail through a community consultation process that has taken into account the needs of all of Eglinton’s users, including motorists

The Eglinton Connects study won unanimous approval at Public Works & Infrastructure Committee and Planning & Growth Management Committee earlier this month and heads to City Council in May. We urge John Tory to revise his position on Eglinton Connects and fully support the proposal.

http://cycleto.ca/news/2014/04/22/j...nton-connects-irresponsible-and-short-sighted

Cycle Toronto: "John Tory's proposal to cancel Eglinton Connects irresponsible and short-sighted"

Last week, John Tory released his "Fighting Gridlock Initiative" which included a proposal that if elected Mayor, would see him cancel "the $150 million 'Eglinton Connects' proposal, which will increase traffic congestion by reducing traffic lanes." Eglinton Connects is a small component of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project, to which the province is committing $5.35 billion. Eglinton Connects is a transformative plan that is driven by a Complete Streets vision for Eglinton Ave. Tory's proposal would eliminate the plan for Complete Streets, as well as proposed streetscape improvements along Eglinton including the creation of wider sidewalks, protected bicycle lanes, great trees, mid-rise development, street furniture and patio space.

Tory's irresponsible proposal to cancel Eglinton Connects goes against strong support of the plan from schools, community groups, business improvement areas (2), school trustees (2) and residents’ associations, and many individuals who live, work or study near Eglinton. The project was even awarded Transportation Project of the Year Award from the Institute of Transport Engineers. Cycle Toronto fully supports the Eglinton Connects plan for its investment in 11km of protected bike lanes through midtown Toronto.

Key facts:
- Eglinton is not going down "from 5 lanes to 3", as Tory claims. Most of Eglinton has from 2-4 rush hour traffic lanes, with 1 or 2 rush hour bus/taxi lanes (which are parking the rest of the time).
- The new plans have 4 rush hour full traffic lanes over most of Eglinton. In many places this is an increase in auto lanes over what exists today, and much fewer buses on the street.
- The section of Eglinton near Yonge St, which sees the lowest auto traffic of all (600-900 cars per direction per hour), is planned to have 3 traffic lanes - but the heavy bus traffic into Eglinton station will be gone.
- The Yonge & Eglinton intersection moves 70% more pedestrians than cars and is the second busiest pedestrian intersection in the city.
- The Eglinton Connects project will fight congestion by increasing the people-moving capacity of the avenue.
- The LRT can carry up to 15,000 people per hour per direction - the car lanes top out at 2,000.
- The street designs for Eglinton Connects have been worked out in meticulous detail through a community consultation process that has taken into account the needs of all of Eglinton’s users, including motorists

The Eglinton Connects study won unanimous approval at Public Works & Infrastructure Committee and Planning & Growth Management Committee earlier this month and heads to City Council in May. We urge John Tory to revise his position on Eglinton Connects and fully support the proposal.

http://cycleto.ca/news/2014/04/22/j...nton-connects-irresponsible-and-short-sighted

I agree, John Tory is making a huge mistake. This will not win him votes from urbanites.

I agree, John Tory is making a huge mistake. This will not win him votes from urbanites.

A lot of the "urbanites" I've talked to all seem, at this point, to take a cautious liking to John Tory for some reason. This kind of thing is good because it shows them, and anyone else who may be drawn to voting for the man, that he's no compromise builder or friend of urbanism - he's still a fundamentally Tory individual, with no pun intended.

Back