News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I live close enough to marlie to not understand why it even has a bus route. I see people waiting for busses one stop away from Eglinton to get to Eglinton west. Its a 3 minute walk but people dont do it because they know if they wait a bus comes. Honestly I am so pro transit but I think there is an excessive number of bus stops and street car stops.

So they would get to the station faster if they walked anyways :)

This is a problem throughout the city, bus/streetcar stops only steps away from the subway station.
Given how long I've stood on a streetcar, trying to enter a subway station, and not being able to because of congestion, aren't stops just outside the subway station a good idea?

Given how long I've stood on a streetcar, trying to enter a subway station, and not being able to because of congestion, aren't stops just outside the subway station a good idea?

I guess in that scenario.. I've never experienced that personally, where a streetcar/bus is very close to the station but can't move any further for a long time. I don't know how often that happens at say Lawrence West as the original poster mentioned or the Eglinton bus stops right beside Eglinton station.

If it's really completely stuck and you're a hundred or two hundred meters from the station though.. wouldn't the driver let you off anyways? I'm not sure how much of a reason that is for having stops within 200 meters of the subway station.

I guess in that scenario.. I've never experienced that personally, where a streetcar/bus is very close to the station but can't move any further for a long time. I don't know how often that happens at say Lawrence West as the original poster mentioned or the Eglinton bus stops right beside Eglinton station.

If it's really completely stuck and you're a hundred or two hundred meters from the station though.. wouldn't the driver let you off anyways? I'm not sure how much of a reason that is for having stops within 200 meters of the subway station.

Let me paint the picture. Half of the fight is trying to get to the stop at Marlee Avenue, due to the aforementioned congestion and light timing. It's usually not close enough that the driver can just let people off, because safety etc. Then it takes a whole cycle at the Marlee traffic light for people to get off/on, when if there had been no stop, we would have made both that light and the one at the ramps. Instead its an extra 3-5 minutes waiting for the light cycle, which includes a very long advanced green for WB traffic on Lawrence, and the ramps light.

Anyway, its a lot to say there are existing issues to address before they consider closing the Allen to expedite construction of the real subject of this thread.

I live close enough to marlie to not understand why it even has a bus route. I see people waiting for busses one stop away from Eglinton to get to Eglinton west. Its a 3 minute walk but people dont do it because they know if they wait a bus comes. Honestly I am so pro transit but I think there is an excessive number of bus stops and street car stops.
I rely on the 109 Ranee bus route, which runs along Marlee. I live a few steps from the Ridelle Avenue bus stop.

I rely on the 109 Ranee bus route, which runs along Marlee. I live a few steps from the Ridelle Avenue bus stop.

RELY seems to suggest that if the 109 did not exist you would not be able to get to Glencarin or Eglinton West by foot and would therefore HAVE to drive.

Exactly. The stops outisde stations are not just for "lazy people" who dont want to walk to the station. There are riders who are not going to the station.

Exactly. The stops outisde stations are not just for "lazy people" who dont want to walk to the station. There are riders who are not going to the station.

Also, Lawrence West is a fairly simple station with easy access to the Bus Loop - this is also not always the case, and sometime the travel time for the bus through the station, plus having to walk through the station and back out can be significant. Let's not think about the average able bodied person, but maybe someone who has difficulty walking and would greatly benefit from these stops. Yes the route as a whole may be slowed down slightly, but its not just a waste for lazy people.

RELY seems to suggest that if the 109 did not exist you would not be able to get to Glencarin or Eglinton West by foot and would therefore HAVE to drive.

The 109 is fine as it is. It serves the local neighbourhood, doesn't inconvenience anyone else, and provides additional accessibility to the area, especially as only Eglinton West is equipped with elevators right now along that stretch.

There are certainly some stops that I would like to cut (Queen/Victoria, King/Victoria, Queen/Simcoe, etc), but some of those stops that are located outside the station are quite useful, especially ones outside complex stations where the path back to street level is complicated (such as at Yonge and York Mills or Islington and Bloor).

Last edited:
This is a problem throughout the city, bus/streetcar stops only steps away from the subway station.

Victoria on the Queen Streetcar is a perfect example of this. The front of the streetcar is at Victoria, but the back of it is almost closer to Yonge than it is to Victoria.

I agree that the TTC needs to set up a minimum walking radius from subway stations, and have no bus/streetcar stops inside of that radius, unless they're the loading/unloading stop for that particular station.

Back