News   Jul 16, 2024
 273     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 607     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/get-involved/upcoming-events
Two events next week. They seem mostly to be for Q&A, no presentation, so I probably won't go.

However you can bring up your urgent issues directly with them, like:
-trying to make elevated east side happen
-south side alignment at Leslie
-DRL connection at Don Mills
-stop spacing
-increasing TBM tracker updating frequency to higher than once a week
-whether Johnny Au can be hired as TBM updater
-why the tunnel has caved back in
I can't attend, but I have my resumé ready if they ask me to update the TBM tracker.

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/get-involved/upcoming-events
Two events next week. They seem mostly to be for Q&A, no presentation, so I probably won't go.

However you can bring up your urgent issues directly with them, like:
-trying to make elevated east side happen
-south side alignment at Leslie
-DRL connection at Don Mills
-stop spacing
-increasing TBM tracker updating frequency to higher than once a week
-whether Johnny Au can be hired as TBM updater
-why the tunnel has caved back in

I wrote Metrolinx back in August asking about the first two points. I will continue to wait for a response rather than attending. I suspect a reply should be coming any day now.

only the last 3 are really changable at this point, the EA Process is finished and changing anything else would require an EA amendment which is too late for.

only the last 3 are really changable at this point, the EA Process is finished and changing anything else would require an EA amendment which is too late for.

Agreed, I was just attempting to be tongue in cheek. Although, some people might get a more direct answer to whatever questions straight from Metrolinx if they go.

The map must be indicating that the tunnel caved in all the way back to Keele. Months of work lost!

You have got to be joking. Is this what it really means? I wonder if the ECLRT office is contacted, would they admit thats what happened.

Who really cares about the EA. The tunnelling is the critical path on the whole line anyway. There would still be time to do a full EA on a bridge widening to accommodate a south side LRT and elevated track, and construct the bridge and elevated portion - and it would have no effect on the schedule. The problem is that the Contractor has already been hired for the tunnelling and extra would have to be paid to switch to the simpler plan.

I wrote Metrolinx back in August asking about the first two points. I will continue to wait for a response rather than attending. I suspect a reply should be coming any day now.

They don't reply... ever. Don't bother calling them either. They'll just make up some bs :cool:

The map must be indicating that the tunnel caved in all the way back to Keele. Months of work lost!

Your post terrified me. For a second I thought this was a cave in on the ECLRT and that the TBM tracker that we initially thought was wrong was actually correct. ;)

I can't attend, but I have my resumé ready if they ask me to update the TBM tracker.

Hiring you is absolutely critical for the success of ECLRT. I can’t believe they haven’t hired you. Metrolinx is full of idiots.

Agreed, I was just attempting to be tongue in cheek.

Really? We couldn’t tell... *my tongue is firmly embedded in my cheek* :rolleyes:

It is always changeable. If it becomes an election issue, maybe they would change their minds. Similar thing as the when the SRT was changed to the B-D extension. Its a little later in the game, but as long as construction has not started (or progressed much), it can still be changed and the change cost would be significantly less than the extra paid (planned) for the B-D extension.

Lets say its $50M extra to move the portal 10 m south. That is just the cost of doing business with the current government that always seems to do the wrong thing. It is actually a good deal compared to what was wasted on e-Health, Gas Plants, Green Energy, S/LRT cancellation, etc.

Little bit different of a circumstance compared to Eglinton though. Eglinton is using TBMs, which add the tunnel liners right afterwards. Ottawa is using mining equipment to dig a single, larger tunnel. Most of the tunnel length in Ottawa is through rock that is excellent for this type of excavation (over 10% of the tunnel length is dug already). It should be no surprise that the small length of tunnel that goes through an area known as "Sandy Hill" would cause some problems. The massive rain amounts we go overnight coupled with the recently dug tunnel were the likely culprit. If it had rained a week later, the tunnel would have been re-inforced, and this likely wouldn't have happened.

Little bit different of a circumstance compared to Eglinton though. Eglinton is using TBMs, which add the tunnel liners right afterwards. Ottawa is using mining equipment to dig a single, larger tunnel. Most of the tunnel length in Ottawa is through rock that is excellent for this type of excavation (over 10% of the tunnel length is dug already). It should be no surprise that the small length of tunnel that goes through an area known as "Sandy Hill" would cause some problems. The massive rain amounts we go overnight coupled with the recently dug tunnel were the likely culprit. If it had rained a week later, the tunnel would have been re-inforced, and this likely wouldn't have happened.
Good points.

This is also a downside with letting the lowest bidder to the engineering design of how the tunnel will be constructed, rather than designing it, and then letting the lowest bidder construct to a design. You increase the odds of a company doing a cheaper, but riskier, shortcut.

Back