News   Jul 16, 2024
 411     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 527     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The last thing we need is another level of government.

This^ The province should just upload regional transit to Metrolinx and make it a crown agency. We don't need another level of government. In fact we should have LESS government involved in the decision making process of transit lines.

Why is the second TBM so far back? It seems to be going really slow. Is that so it maintains a certain amount of distance from the 1st?

Can they not start building stations once the TBM hits the Allen and remerges up and then goes back down the shaft on the other side? But I guess if its due to money it needs to wait till all the tunnelling work is done. It just seems so long doing it that way.

This^ The province should just upload regional transit to Metrolinx and make it a crown agency. We don't need another level of government. In fact we should have LESS government involved in the decision making process of transit lines.

We could create the province of Toronto, that way there wouldn't be an extra level :). Of course this has been discussed on another thread.

Can they not start building stations once the TBM hits the Allen and remerges up and then goes back down the shaft on the other side? But I guess if its due to money it needs to wait till all the tunnelling work is done. It just seems so long doing it that way.

No, they couldn't start building tomorrow if they wanted to because the stations haven't been fully designed yet.

As I understand it, the way the process works is that Metrolinx has handed over the station designs at a rough sketch level to the two competing private consortiums that are bidding for the project. Each team will separately have their engineers/architects draft the designs up to a much more detailed level, and that in turn will inform the price they'll bid.

No, they couldn't start building tomorrow if they wanted to because the stations haven't been fully designed yet.

As I understand it, the way the process works is that Metrolinx has handed over the station designs at a rough sketch level to the two competing private consortiums that are bidding for the project. Each team will separately have their engineers/architects draft the designs up to a much more detailed level, and that in turn will inform the price they'll bid.

They do, however, construct the station headwalls first. The TBM's bore through those concrete headwalls. See this link.

Why is the second TBM so far back? It seems to be going really slow. Is that so it maintains a certain amount of distance from the 1st?

The TBMs need to run a certain amount of distance apart from each other - something like 2 to 3 weeks apart at least - in built-up areas in case of subsidence.

They do, however, construct the station headwalls first. The TBM's bore through those concrete headwalls. See this link.

The headwalls only dictate where the station will be built, not in what form.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For those who live on Eglinton West where construction is currently happening:
How is it there? Do you feel noise or vibrations from your homes? I'm assuming there isn't construction at night right?

TBM tracker updated today. First TBM at Gabian way (about 500 meters from Caledonia Rd), second TBM finally crossed Keele st.
Link

Back