News   Jul 26, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 809     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 704     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Clearly neither of us is going to look up old newspaper articles about how much work was done on the Eglinton Subway before it was cancelled, so let's just call it a draw and agree to disagree whether it was a big hole or a small hole.

^ Said city worker was the guy marking up Sheppard East in preparation for Transit City work.

Good. If you told me who the author of the piece was I would mail them a cookie (letter of thanks) for getting the opinion of a person who actually has some knowledge of the situation.

Good. If you told me who the author of the piece was I would mail them a cookie (letter of thanks) for getting the opinion of a person who actually has some knowledge of the situation.

I couldn't find the piece again on Posted Toronto. It was a few months back. And I don't want to buy a NP subscription just to get access to the article.

Clearly neither of us is going to look up old newspaper articles about how much work was done on the Eglinton Subway before it was cancelled, so let's just call it a draw and agree to disagree whether it was a big hole or a small hole.
Why not? I've looked up old newspapers on many things ... it only takes about 20 seconds to call up any issue of the Toronto Star ... shouldn't take long to search a couple of months of issues for the words "Eglinton" and "Subway".

It's not like the old days where you had to go down to Toronto Reference Library and pull out the microfilm ...

Here are the cancellation articles, it sounds like a large portion of the money was spent on buying the tunnel boreing machines, which were then used for Sheppard.

Tories derail Eglinton subway But $945 million Sheppard line gets go-ahead
The Toronto Star
Sat Jul 22 1995
Page: A4
Section: News
Byline: By Bruce Campion-Smith Toronto Star
Work on the Eglinton West subway line will continue into the fall as workers fill holes, relocate utilities and patch up the street - all jobs that must be done to stop a subway line, at least for now.

As expected, the Progressive Conservative government yesterday announced it will delay the massive Eglinton subway project but continue with the $945 million subway line on Sheppard Ave. E. in North York.

"We will proceed with transit projects in a phased approach, beginning with the Sheppard subway line in Toronto," Finance Minister Ernie Eves said.

"We are deferring the Eglinton West project until the province and Metro Toronto have sufficient funding to proceed," he told a news conference.

The true impact won't be known for days or even weeks, but it means uncertainty and unemployment for many of the 1,200 people working on the line.

JOBS TO BE LOST

It's estimated that a further 34,500 direct and spin-off jobs will also be lost.

The $740 million project involved building 4 kilometres of subway line and six subway stations heading west along Eglinton Ave. from the Allen Expressway.

It was to end at Eglinton Ave. W. and Black Creek Dr. at the York City Centre, a new development that would have included a transportation gateway with GO transit and bus terminals with 110,000 square metres of commercial space and 1,600 new residential units.

Nearly $50 million has already been spent on the subway project and contracts approved for another $169 million worth of work, TTC figures show.

Metro is now on the hook to pay at least $6 million to stop construction of the Eglinton line, as well its $31 million share of the committed contracts and the $13.5 million spent so far.

Metro Chairman Alan Tonks, angry at not being consulted about the deferral, is thinking about going after the province to collect the millions of Metro taxpayer dollars spent on the project.

Since the provincial government is backing out of the deal, it should pick up the tab for all of the outstanding debts contracted up to this point, he said.

"I'm also asking staff to apprise me of what our total recourse is on behalf of the people of Metropolitan Toronto," he said.

Projects the scale of the Eglinton subway can't be turned on and off like a faucet, Tonks said, and the Tories should be under some obligation to abide by the commitments of the previous government.

But he said he was "guardedly optimistic" that work on the Eglinton line will resume one day.

Within hours of the announcement, David Gunn, chief general manager of the Toronto Transit Commission, was meeting with his engineering staff to look at the best way to stop the project.

"It's not pleasant but we should be able to do it in a fairly orderly fashion," Gunn told The Star.

"We have to relocate utilities, holes have to filled in, we have to restore the street. We have a lot of engineering work ongoing and that's got to be stopped."

The TTC will also have to store the two huge tunnel boring machines that were built and ready to start cutting the subway tunnels in the fall.

They won't be needed now until the tunnel work starts on the Sheppard line in about 18 months.

Despite suggestions that at least some portions of the tunnels should be built, Gunn said it's best to stop the project in its tracks. "You just have to bring it to a halt.

"The last thing you want are underground structures that have to be maintained and pumped and ventilated.

"You can stop things a helluva lot easier than you can start them."

That's a cruel understatement for the municipal politicians who had fought so hard for years to get shovels in the ground only to see their dream dashed in a single announcement.

And though the Tories said they are only deferring the work, Liberal MPP transportation critic and former TTC chair Mike Colle said the project is likely dead forever.

"They're going to put their money where they're going to get their political returns. And their political returns are in Post Rd. and Don Mills and not down in some poor part of Metro," he said. "It destroys our hope for the future."

Yesterday's announcement also chopped $74 million from the capital budget for municipal roads, $36 million from provincial highways, $14.6 million from GO Transit and $33 million earmarked for other transportation initiatives.

© 1995 Torstar Corporation

Illustration:
• Star photo (Power): MAKING TRACKS: North York mayor Mel Lastman leads a celebratory rally at Albert Standing Park yesterday after learning of the provincial government's support for the Sheppard AVe. subway line.

Edition: Sa2
Length: 730 words

Tories look at killing new subway lines
The Toronto Star
Tue Jul 11 1995
Page: A1
Section: News
Byline: by Kelly Toughill TORONTO STAR
The Ontario government may kill Metro's two new subway lines as part of its massive deficit-fighting plan, Dave Johnson, management board chair, warns.

Johnson said in an interview yesterday that the $1.7 billion Eglinton and Sheppard lines, already under construction, are being considered for the axe as are all other government expenditures not explicitly exempted in the Progressive Conservative election campaign platform. About $260 million has already been spent on the two extensions.

"All expenditures, including subway lines, are on the table and they all have to be looked at," he said. "We have to make progress toward balancing the books in the province of Ontario."

Johnson also confirmed that if cabinet decides to kill the two subway lines, it will likely do so immediately rather than wait until the rest of the spending cuts are announced later this month. Cabinet meets tomorrow at Queen's Park.

"Those are the two that would have to be looked at with more urgency because expenditures are being made as we speak on those two lines," Johnson said of the Eglinton and Sheppard lines.

North York Mayor Mel Lastman has estimated that building of the two subway lines and two additional lines would create 27,000 jobs.

Johnson stressed yesterday that just because a program is good or necessary, doesn't mean it will be safe from the axe.

"We are going to have to cut expenditures in many different areas. Subways are certainly a very important part of life here in Metropolitan Toronto.

"There are many programs that are an important part of life not only in Toronto but in the province of Ontario. Unfortunately, they are all going to have to come under review."

The Toronto Transit Commission is scheduled today to award an $80 million contract to dig two tunnels for the Eglinton subway. Commission staff have recommended the contract include a special condition that allows the TTC to back out if provincial funding falls through.

Construction on the $740 million Eglinton Ave. subway began last year. The project involves building four kilometres of subway line and six subway stations between the Allen Expressway and York City Centre along Eglinton Ave. W.

About $123 million has already been spent on the project, including the design and construction of two huge diggers to be used for boring tunnels beneath the road.

The province has promised to pay 75 per cent of the cost of the subway - roughly $555 million.

Ontario has also pledged to pay about $708 million of the $945 million tab for a 6.4-kilometre subway line beneath Sheppard Ave. E. That subway is supposed to run east from Yonge St. to Don Mills and include four new subway stations.

So far, about $136 million has been spent on the Sheppard Ave. project.

The New Democratic government had also pressed Metro to approve two additional lines to extend the subway system north to York University and east in Scarborough. However, Metro Council refused to approve the new lines, saying it didn't know where to get the money.

The TTC and many other agencies were warned almost immediately by the incoming government that all capital spending was under review and that previous commitments by the NDP government might be scrapped by the Conservative cabinet.

Premier Mike Harris warned after his very first cabinet meeting that Ontario faced a financial "crisis" if the government didn't move immediately to slash spending. He also warned that the spending cuts would have to be deeper and faster than he promised during the campaign.

Finance Minister Ernie Eves is expected to deliver a financial statement, including preliminary spending cuts, later this month.

Johnson stressed yesterday that spending explicitly protected in the Tory campaign platform is still considered exempt.

"Everything is on the table except those items that were specifically exempted by the 'common sense revolution:' classroom education, health care and law enforcement," he said.

Harris also repeated his pledge not to cut health-care spending yesterday.

© 1995 Torstar Corporation

It's amazing how a few quick strokes of a pen screwed this city, and this province over so badly... The line that gets me the most is "just because a program is good or necessary, doesn't mean it will be safe from the axe". Unbelievably short term thinking.

Doesn't putting the subway in a trench down the Richview corridor sterilize those lands for future development? Is that really what we want to do? I certainly agree that tunnelling/bridging might be appropriate (perhaps the appropriate word is a "fly-over").

So cover the trench with development...condos, playgrounds, fountains, whatever. Simple and obvious.
Yep pretty much. Putting it in a trench means that people can develop right over the subway corridor. And who woule give up the opportunity to develop right over a subway? :p

Really, you pro-TC guys really seem to be picking at air right now. There's really no reason that Eglingon shouldn't be built along the richview corridor other than "LRTs look pretty"

Doesn't putting the subway in a trench down the Richview corridor sterilize those lands for future development? Is that really what we want to do?

Maybe this is the reason. They should, at least, have included this option in the EA analysis, and perhaps reject it if they deem it unsuitable.

What they did instead - copied the explanation about the intersecting minor streets and driveways from the Sheppard EA. Even though it clearly does not hold for some sections of Eglinton.

The option Scarberian mentioned - covering the trench and building over it - is at least worth a consideration. Perhaps it is a better way to build underground rail, rather than building highrises first, and starting underground construction afterwards.

^^ Yeah, that's it. That allows development to be built as transit-friendly as possible, and so that it muffles the vibrations of vehicles.

But the biggest one is cost. The cost of simply digging a hole along the Richview corridor is much less expensive than complicated tunneling underneath preexisting buildings.

As I've said before, use the money to get a subway started from Jane-Don Mills started. The rest can go to the DRL, or a Sheppard extension, or a B-D extension. Once that's built, the subway can be extended further towards Kennedy/Kingston Road and Pearson. If you ask me, a subway could get built along the entire Eglinton corridor in 20-30 years, and I think that's many times better than a LRT along the entire route within 10.

What I don't get is if they are so sticky about it being on street why not use the Richview corridor just for contstruction. Build some blacktop to serve as Eglinton while construction is going on. Then cut and cover the whole corridor to build a subway/tunneled LRT) and then move Eglinton back over the tunnel. That should preserve the Richview lands for development.

It would add only a couple of million per km in construction costs to move the road. Extending the tunnel, however, would have huge pay-offs.

^^ That's actually a pretty cool idea. Then again, you could just move the Richview lands to the other side of the road, couldn't you?

That said, I don't actually think there's any problem with developers building on top of a trenched subway. The Yonge subway from just past Rosedale to St. Clair was all trenched, and developers jumped on that opportunity pretty quickly. With such a big empty corridor waiting to have something done with it, I think the entire route could be trenched and then developed pretty easily.

But I think all in all, this needs so much more work than "let's build pretty LRTs all over the city," and this section of Eglinton is a great example of why it doesn't work. True RT along Eglinton through Etobicoke would be a great asset, and needs the speed and capacity to properly intercept bus routes. With the Richview corridor just sitting right there, it'd take an absolute moron to instantly ruin that out.

And then if they do decide to build it as RT (as I believe they should,) they'd need to plan and figure out how to make sure transit friendly development comes to the area. LRT certainly isn't going to turn Eglinton West into a beautiful avenue lined with cafes and coffee shops, but the development that subway could bring very well could.

EDIT: As I think about it, this really is urban planning at it's absolute worst. There is no way that a LRT will bring high density, mixed use development to Eglinton west. It won't provide rapid transit to the airport, and might not even be able to support the weight of 5 feeder bus routes.

The smart thing to do would be to have a plan for Eglinton. Build a subway along the central stretch so that it immediately relieves the many bus routes that get totally bottlenecked along the central portion between about Keele and Laird. With the Don Mills LRT/DRL and Jane LRT though, extending it to Jane and Don Mills could have a lot of merit.
Once that gets done, start planning for Eglinton West. Get some developers who will commit to planning some areas at intersections like Eglinton and Islington, and then follow through with your plan. Once you get anchor points like that, the corridor's pretty well set.

But I see absolutely none of this further thinking in any of Transit City, and that's the reason I pretty well completely hate it. Some of the concepts and routes and visions are quite good, but the reasoning and method is absolutely abysmal. The real transit need and network connectivity is horrible, most of the visions are unrealistic, and there is no bigger picture that any of the LRTs belong in.

Last edited:

Back