News   Jul 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 992     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 850     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There's no real reason they couldn't add some cross-overs near the ends of the tunnel so that certain trains would only run the tunnel length, is there? Have every-other train just do the tunnel and the others go to the end.

Actually, I'm a bit curious. What are they planning to do with this? When are shovels going to hit the ground and actually start digging for the line?

And will they start the tunnel section first or the on-ground LRT? If they start with a tunnel, a future mayor could easily turn this into a shorter subway ready for expansion.

2010 is the plan. I'd think that they'd probably start a couple of things simulataneously ... 2-3 boring machines at various locations, and surface construction both in the east, and the west.

Actually, I'm a bit curious. What are they planning to do with this? When are shovels going to hit the ground and actually start digging for the line?

And will they start the tunnel section first or the on-ground LRT? If they start with a tunnel, a future mayor could easily turn this into a shorter subway ready for expansion.

When Harris canceled the Eglinton Subway project in 1995, construction had already started with steel girder pilings at Allen Station. So if you want to be picky, construction had already started on a rapid transit line on Eglinton. They'll probably use the pilings already in place and continue from there.

Long coffee break.

I do wonder how many pilings are there that they can use.

Exactly. The terms "Crosstown" and "LRT" are kind of at odds with eachother. People should NOT be under the impression that this will be a new easy and fast way to get across Toronto. It will not be. LRT is designed to carry medium loads over medium distances.

The best "crosstown" on this corridor would be an express bus that only stops at Kennedy, Don Mills, Yonge, Allen, and Jane, on its way to Pearson. That would mimic car speeds along the corridor.

The best crosstown option for Eglinton - if they're only going to build part of the line as rapid transit - is the Bloor-Danforth subway.

When Harris canceled the Eglinton Subway project in 1995, construction had already started with steel girder pilings at Allen Station.
It's hardly comparable; as far as I remember, the only contract that had been tendered was for the moving some utilities, and some site preparation at Eglinton West Station. They hadn't tendered any of the tunelling or station contracts. There's a huge difference betwen the Eglinton West situation and Sheppard LRT by December 2010. It's more comparable to the situation with the Sheppard subway in 1995, where the province cancelled that funding as well, but the project was already far enough advanced, that the city felt that they might as well continue.

It's also not comparable, as there wasn't a Provincial/Federal agreement that had been signed on Eglinton West subway. It would be difficult for either government to change it, even if Toronto asked, at this point ... unless Toronto was to kick in the extra $billion to cover the cost ... and yeah, that's who I'm going to vote for ... someone who wants an extra $billion of my tax money for an unnecessary subway!

Last edited:
It's hardly comparable; as far as I remember, the only contract that had been tendered was for the moving some utilities, and some site preparation at Eglinton West Station. They hadn't tendered any of the tunelling or station contracts. There's a huge difference betwen the Eglinton West situation and Sheppard LRT by December 2010. It's more comparable to the situation with the Sheppard subway in 1995, where the province cancelled that funding as well, but the project was already far enough advanced, that the city felt that they might as well continue.

It's also not comparable, as there wasn't a Provincial/Federal agreement that had been signed on Eglinton West subway. It would be difficult for either government to change it, even if Toronto asked, at this point ... unless Toronto was to kick in the extra $billion to cover the cost ... and yeah, that's who I'm going to vote for ... someone who wants an extra $billion of my tax money for an unnecessary subway!

IIRC there was a big to-do about them having to fill the holes back in that they dug for the subway.

DRL Loop perhaps?

They would have to start construction with the tunnel first. That's why this line is going to take so long. Only as they're wrapping up (or at least significantly completed) the tunnel can they start concurrent construction on the street portion. That does allow for plans to be changed in the years ahead.

I don't think any of these lines are going to be anywhere close to on time. In one national post article, one city inspector said that he thought it would take 8 years to finish Sheppard. I don't know if it'll take that long but I do question the 2012 timeline. This means there's going to be sometime to debate this line and make changes.

In one national post article, one city inspector said that he thought it would take 8 years to finish Sheppard.

Did this city inspector have anything to do with the project or is he equally as well informed as we are? I presume, at very least, he is from Toronto.

I always get a kick when a paper quotes an expert city inspector, a restaurant by-law officer from Chicago, on some construction project in Calgary.

In case you didn't notice, I don't really trust anything papers write.

Last edited:
^ Said city worker was the guy marking up Sheppard East in preparation for Transit City work.

The estimated completion dates for Sheppard East LRT are 2014 at the earliest and 2015 for either conversion of the subway or extending the subway to Downsview. I doubt any TC project will be done by 2012.

IIRC there was a big to-do about them having to fill the holes back in that they dug for the subway.
That always seems to be an urban myth that get's bigger with each telling to me. How big is a hole going to be if they hadn't started pouring foundations? I don't believe the construction of the new station had been tendered, so what was the hole for? They were moving utilties ... which requires digging a hole, and then filling it back in again ... like they also did at Union station recently, and that's still going ahead.

That always seems to be an urban myth that get's bigger with each telling to me. How big is a hole going to be if they hadn't started pouring foundations? I don't believe the construction of the new station had been tendered, so what was the hole for? They were moving utilties ... which requires digging a hole, and then filling it back in again ... like they also did at Union station recently, and that's still going ahead.

I guess only the people who lived on or near Eglinton West could tell you how far they got in terms of construction before it stopped. I'd hardly call it an urban myth considering construction DID commence (it got further along than SELRT is now).

I guess only the people who lived on or near Eglinton West could tell you how far they got in terms of construction before it stopped. I'd hardly call it an urban myth considering construction DID commence (it got further along than SELRT is now).
And construction started on the Union station platform expansion 2 (or was it 3) years ago ... but it doesn't mean much at this stage.

I'm quite sure that the newspaper at the time was quite detailed ... it's pretty easy to go to the library website and read the Toronto Star articles about the cancellation.

Back