News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I can't understand how this station got put back in when it is a maximum 4 minute walk away. You will be able to see ferrand station from Don mills station.

Well, it's probably a little closer to 6 minutes, since the access to Ferrand will be at the intersection with the off ramps. Unless you jay-walk across Eglinton to get to the west end of the platform. Which no one would do.

You're making the assumption that everyone who wants to use the Eglinton line is standing on Eglinton when this thought occurs to them. But they aren't. There are a number of large residential and commercial buildings north and south of the stop that will be withing 5-6 minutes' walk of Ferrand, therefore 11-12 minutes from the Don Mills station. This would be why local residents spoke up for restoring the stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
[I can't understand how this station got put back in when it is a maximum 4 minute walk away. You will be able to see ferrand station from Don mills station. ]

Well, it's probably a little closer to 6 minutes, since the access to Ferrand will be at the intersection with the off ramps. Unless you jay-walk across Eglinton to get to the west end of the platform. Which no one would do.

You're making the assumption that everyone who wants to use the Eglinton line is standing on Eglinton when this thought occurs to them. But they aren't. There are a number of large residential and commercial buildings north and south of the stop that will be withing 5-6 minutes' walk of Ferrand, therefore 11-12 minutes from the Don Mills station. This would be why local residents spoke up for restoring the stop.

Unless those buildings are located within the DVP ramp loops, the residents will not have to walk all the way to the DVP off ramps. Thus, the 6 minute walk is not accurate. Thus they would still be 10 minutes walk or less from the Don Mills station.

How odd. Last month Ferrand was out "due to geometric constraints," now it is back in exactly the same place as before.

Could it be that Metrolinx just wants to get rid of it because of speed and thought they would try to slip it through with the Don Mills launch plan?

Besides the Ferrand stop that cannot be built - but now suddenly can, I would also like to understand the portal relocation better as well.

Property Constraints. The questions to answer are; why was this condo project allowed to proceed and interfere with the biggest transit project in Toronto's history, now that it is built What would the cost of shoring the building foundations be, and How much can people from the condos complain about noise when other launch and extraction sites are not that far removed from residential areas and the condo is at a site that has been known to be under construction (for the portal) for about 5 years.

Traffic Impacts. A large source of the traffic impacts are due to the median LRT that is trying to be designed, requiring a realignment of Eglinton Ave. If the portal is on the South side of Eglinton for a South Side alignment, traffic disruption would be greatly reduced or almost eliminated.

Slope Stability. The concerns seem to be on the north side of Eglinton, thus simply locate the LRT on a South side alignment and not in the median.

Soil Contamination. What would the cost be to remove this soil. Although there is a great extent of contaminated soil shown, only that in the vicinity of the portal and West abutment (for the bridge over the West Don) would have to be removed.

I didn't say that residents would be 6 minutes further from Don Mills, I said that that was the walking time between the "entrances" to the two stops. Anyone on or along Ferrand/Deauville is going to be, yes, 4 or 5 minutes closer to the Ferrand stop, and the buildings on the east side of the DVP would be closer to it than to Wynford.

My point is that you have to consider desinations off Eglinton and whether there are enough riders to justify the stop. Clearly not for a deep underground station at Leslie, but the Ferrand stop is going to cost peanuts to build and put many more people within a short distance. It's a democracy; they asked, they got.

IMO both decisions, the removal of Leslie and the reinstatement of Ferrand, make sense; as long as the Ferrand stop does not interfere with the ability to short-turn trains at Don Mills.

I'm always shocked how despite the prominence of this project, that many don't seem to know about it. I bumped into a young, intelligent, engineer who lives in Toronto and takes transit a lot. They made an off-hand comment about it's a shame there's no subway on Eglinton. They were surprised (and pleased) when I mentioned this project and it should be open in 2020.

Maybe TTC should do what Montreal does, and put under-construction projects on the subway map ...

Maybe TTC should do what Montreal does, and put under-construction projects on the subway map ...

It may be a bit harder to do on the new TRs because it's the lighted board.

But yes, they should at the very least add Spadina, and maybe wait until the TBMs start actually digging on Eglinton to show that on there too.

The fact that the TTC map hasn't needed to be changed in just over a decade is pretty sad (aside from adding a few accessible station icons).

But yes, they should at the very least add Spadina, and maybe wait until the TBMs start actually digging on Eglinton to show that on there too.

The fact that the TTC map hasn't needed to be changed in just over a decade is pretty sad (aside from adding a few accessible station icons).

Well the good news is that the TTC certainly has quite a few changed to make in the next few years. :) We will certainly be seeing the Eglinton Crosstown, Scarborough RT extension and Spadina Extension in 2016 and 2022, the Finch and Sheppard LRTs (fingers crossed) and most likely a DRL in the next 15 years and Yonge extension immediately after that.

Good times for transit in Toronto

On the TRs, they'll just be unlit faded lines.

Ah, good point. I spend most of my time on the BD line.

If we ever get the subway system we want, they are going to have to move away from these long narrow maps of the entire system, and simply put the line in question on the strip, use a typical portrait format for the system map.

That's supposed to be within days or weeks though, isn't it? Mid-February 2013 was the target date only 5 months ago.

Ah, good point. I spend most of my time on the BD line.

If we ever get the subway system we want, they are going to have to move away from these long narrow maps of the entire system, and simply put the line in question on the strip, use a typical portrait format for the system map.

Yup I think that certainly makes sense. For YUS, rotate the U on it's side for the overhead line map (will also be easier to fit in the Spadina and Yonge extensions when they come to be). It would look pretty squished otherwise. B-D is pretty obvious because it's more or less a straight line except in the east.

That's supposed to be within days or weeks though, isn't it? Mid-February 2013 was the target date only 5 months ago.

True. On 2nd thought, I think it would make sense to only add it a couple years before it's supposed to arrive (~2 years away on Spadina now). Don't really want it showing as "coming" for over half a decade.

The TR map is essentially a Lite-Brite underneath (remember those?). It will be able to handle the Spadina extension no problem. Might be a challenge to fit in the station names for the Eglinton line, however.

Actually, you can see what the map will look like with the Spadina extension added to it on the TYSSE website: http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/TTC_System_Map.jsp or see the PDF: http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/PDFs/Subway RT with TYSSE.pdf

The TR map is essentially a Lite-Brite underneath (remember those?). It will be able to handle the Spadina extension no problem. Might be a challenge to fit in the station names for the Eglinton line, however.

Actually, you can see what the map will look like with the Spadina extension added to it on the TYSSE website: http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/TTC_System_Map.jsp or see the PDF: http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/PDFs/Subway RT with TYSSE.pdf

Hahaha, I wasn't sure what the tech was, I haven't really looked at them too closely.

I think when Eglinton comes online they're definitely going to need to switch to line-only maps for the overhead maps. Like nfitz said, put one of the full system maps in a couple of the poster spots besides the door. Just show where the line connections are on the overhead maps.

LOL, or some of the Montreal lines they used to show, such as Line 5 to Lafleur and Montreal-Nord ... or later line 7 to Montreal-Nord ...

Yeah, don't want the system map looking too much like a fantasy map, haha. Only add the line when it's passed the point of no cancellation.

Back