News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

http://thecrosstown.ca/tbmcontest

Please vote for my submission: Criss and Cross.

From the nearly 500 entries submitted to The Crosstown TBM Naming Contest, our selection committee has nominated the following six finalists.

Now it’s up to you to vote for the winner!

Voting is open until November 21. The two entries with the most votes will win!

http://thecrosstown.ca/tbmcontest

Please vote for my submission: Criss and Cross.

I took a look at the names and some are silly. Bacon & Eggs? Thor & Loki? The former is best for breakfast, while the latter belongs in Norse mythology. My choices are Criss and Cross and Dennis and Lea (not in that particular order). Don and Humber is my third choice.

Criss and Cross sound best.

Don and Humber would be misleading, as we don't expect the line to be tunneled under those rivers. Unless those TBMs can build bridges as well ...

Last edited:
I was going to vote for your suggestion just to support another UT member, but I ending up voting for yours because the others just sound too silly as well.

Even Dennis and Lea? I think that one is really clever, as it references the neighbourhoods where the two tunnel portals will be located (Mount Dennis and Leaside).

The City has just launched their parallel study (which we are part of) that will look at the entire Eglinton corridor. This study will focus on the built form and streetscape that will come with the new LRT. There's quite a bit of information up on the City's project website already (including a survey). There's also a large public kick-off event November 28th at North Toronto Collegiate featuring Antoine Grumbach (of the Paris Tramway fame).

MODS - not sure if this needs a separate thread (as its quite apart from transit and infrastructure), but it does seem to make sense to keep it all integrated. I'll leave it up to you.

I think the 2 tunneling machines should reflect the transit agency. They should reflect the citizens confidence in Metrolinx building it on time and on budget.

With that in mind how about "Fat and Chance"....."Good and Luck"...."April and Fools"..."Just and Kidding"...."What and Budget".

Three things I have thought about regarding ECLRT.

1. How can they award the contract for tunnelling when they have not decided what to do with the fill? I assume the General Contractor will have to do the tunnelling, lining and removal of fill. I guess none of those fancy plans are in consideration (fill in Allen, Islands in Humber) and the contractor will have to haul it outside of Toronto.

2. The cost of the extension to YYZ seems rather expensive. According to the One City plan – which the TTC Chair was involved with so I imagine may be somewhat accurate – the cost is $1.9B for 11 km ($170M/km). This is for a line that is 70% in the median and 30% elevated. The Canada Line in Vancouver was $110M/km (maybe $140M including inflation) for a line that was 60% buried and 40% elevated. Is that large cost all related to the station at YYZ?

3. The costs of the interchange stations seem very high since they are built under the existing subway lines. Maybe is would save money if a station was built immediately West of Yonge/Eglinton and another one immediately East of it. Passengers could go to the one terminal station and transfer by walking through the mezzanine level of the existing Yonge/Eglinton station to the other terminal station to continue their crosstown trip. In reality, most will probably transfer to the subway. This could be repeated at Eglinton West and Kennedy.

1. How can they award the contract for tunnelling when they have not decided what to do with the fill? I assume the General Contractor will have to do the tunnelling, lining and removal of fill. I guess none of those fancy plans are in consideration (fill in Allen, Islands in Humber) and the contractor will have to haul it outside of Toronto.

2. The cost of the extension to YYZ seems rather expensive. According to the One City plan – which the TTC Chair was involved with so I imagine may be somewhat accurate – the cost is $1.9B for 11 km ($170M/km). This is for a line that is 70% in the median and 30% elevated. The Canada Line in Vancouver was $110M/km (maybe $140M including inflation) for a line that was 60% buried and 40% elevated. Is that large cost all related to the station at YYZ?

3. The costs of the interchange stations seem very high since they are built under the existing subway lines. Maybe is would save money if a station was built immediately West of Yonge/Eglinton and another one immediately East of it. Passengers could go to the one terminal station and transfer by walking through the mezzanine level of the existing Yonge/Eglinton station to the other terminal station to continue their crosstown trip. In reality, most will probably transfer to the subway. This could be repeated at Eglinton West and Kennedy.

That fill is mostly "clean" fill. Not dirt from contaminated industrial land, but several metres UNDER the roadway. It can be reused, even for aggregate to be mixed with, for concrete for the lining of the tunnels. There used to be several quarries or sand pits along or near Eglinton Avenue before development pushed them out.

Dirt closer to the asphalt roadway is what we have to worry about contamination. Dirt near the surface or the slopes and raised roadway along Eglinton Flats or other built-up slopes maybe has contaminated dirt they have to worry about. Eglinton Flats (not the current roadways) used to be garden farms.

Last edited:

Spoil is always the responsibility of the contractor. They will have to test it to ensure that it is clean (depending on groundwater conditions contaminants can travel pretty significant distances underground), filter it to remove larger contaminants (slurry walls for the stations excavations), etc.

As for where to dump it, there are several locations in the City that the contractor can use should they choose. It all comes down to cost.

As has been said here and elsewhere many times before, you can't compare the construction situation elsewhere to what happens in Toronto. The variables are inevitably different. It may cost more to build something here than in Vancouver, but it is a veritable bargain compared to some places like New York or London.

And what would reconfiguring the interchanges to what you propose do to the passenger flows? Would fewer people transfer? Would the lines be loaded differently? All these things have to be taken into account.

And in any case, I don't know if it would change the costs greatly, because you still have to build underneath the existing lines in any case. You still need to dig them out, brace them, etc.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back