News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Does any one know whether this line (and the other LRT lines) will, like the SRT, be represented on the TTC's subway maps as though it's a regular subway line, or will it be it be unrepresented on the subway map like the Spadina and St. Clair street car lines?

Does any one know whether this line (and the other LRT lines) will, like the SRT, be represented on the TTC's subway maps as though it's a regular subway line, or will it be it be unrepresented on the subway map like the Spadina and St. Clair street car lines?
I don't think anyone knows.

There has to be a point where TTC moves to what many other cities have, and only put a map in the car for the line the train is on.

I don't think anyone knows.

There has to be a point where TTC moves to what many other cities have, and only put a map in the car for the line the train is on.

Or they could move up to the 21st century and use LCD screens to display variable route maps.

Or they could move up to the 21st century and use LCD screens to display variable route maps.
I can't say I've seen that anywhere yet. Which city is doing this?

Seems an unnecessary use of a powered system, given that most large systems dedicate equipment to specific line(s). Why create an unnecessary system that will require maintenance?

The newest MKII SkyTrain cars (delivered in 2009 for the Expo Line / M-Line) have LEDs on the route map (not an LCD screen). It would be an odd sized screen if it were to be LCD screen (i.e. expensive).
That looks like what's in our subway trains. Which is similar to what's in New York City subway trains.

But who is using LCD?

That looks like what's in our subway trains. Which is similar to what's in New York City subway trains.

But who is using LCD?

New York's are better than ours by far. They show you the amount of time between stops and they change. If only I knew where to find a picture of them.

New York's are better than ours by far. They show you the amount of time between stops and they change. If only I knew where to find a picture of them.
That's interesting ... the ones I recall seeing was a lot more similar to ours - but that was back in 2007, so perhaps this is something on a different rolling stock.

Still, they only seem to show one line. Which is what I was thinking we'd eventually move to. And this is LED, not LCD. The suggestion from Voltz was that instead of moving to just showing one (or a few lines), they should should "move up to the 21st century and use LCD screens to display variable route maps". Again I wonder who is doing this?

That's interesting ... the ones I recall seeing was a lot more similar to ours - but that was back in 2007, so perhaps this is something on a different rolling stock.

Still, they only seem to show one line. Which is what I was thinking we'd eventually move to. And this is LED, not LCD. The suggestion from Voltz was that instead of moving to just showing one (or a few lines), they should should "move up to the 21st century and use LCD screens to display variable route maps". Again I wonder who is doing this?

I was agreeing with you that LED works just fine if done like in NY. I don't like ours. Although I do think they use LCD .... somewhere.

They have LCD maps on a lot of the trains in Japan.

Tokyo

Sapporo

Last edited:

I have a number of photos that shows the time between stations, the running time as well where it started from on my trip.

These next stop signs were found on buses, trams, metros and rail. On top of that, it show what other routes where at various station were as well how long you will have to wait for them.

Zurich
8084631261_49236748c4_b.jpg

8090965849_35df505f6f_b.jpg

Barcelona Spain
8001845425_db0faebc61_b.jpg

8009617480_7f3d627409_b.jpg

Paris France and not a great shot
7968709944_6a9ccbd793_b.jpg

Madrid
7975383084_09561b70f2_b.jpg

Milan
8038193308_81c496cd13_b.jpg

I am hearing a number of issues regarding this line is under review with the departure of various personnel and rethinking on things.

GO Wants stations at all rail corridors along this line. Needs to be from day one.

The Laird launch site is going to have to be relocated due to soil and other issues for this site.

The TMB will not be allow to tunnel under the Yonge line.

Oakwood station will not be built at this time, but end walls will be place for future need.

An EA is still has to have to be done for Black Creek to Jane St.

Until there is more detail, hearsay.

They have LCD maps on a lot of the trains in Japan.

Tokyo

Sapporo
Again, those are both route maps. Actually only a small part of the route map.

The example given originally was of the system map being LCD - which would require a much bigger screen. It's this I was curious about who is doing.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...rs-leery-of-metrolinx-s-control-of-lrt-design

Councillors leery of Metrolinx’s control of LRT design

The drama over the city’s transit plans hasn’t ended yet. Some Toronto councillors are threatening to try to stop the city from signing a master agreement with Metrolinx and the province to build four LRTs in Toronto.

The councillors say the agreement gives Metrolinx too much authority over the scope of the project, particularly the placement and distance between stations.

They fear that as costs rise, Metrolinx will cancel some stations or build them so far apart the TTC could be forced to run buses along light rail routes.

There is “disaster lurking” in the agreement, said Councillor Gord Perks (Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park). He believes Metrolinx wants the Eglinton LRT to serve the region as much as the city.

“What the province has put in front of us opens the door to them running it as a regional-only service and forcing us to try to carry any local trip on a bus running alongside the light rail line. It’s terrible transit planning, and I will not vote for an agreement that cedes control over local transit planning to an unaccountable body like Metrolinx,” Perks said.

The agreement that goes before council next week spells out the ownership and responsibilities for the LRTs to be built on Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard and the Scarborough RT with $8.4 billion in provincial money and about $300 million in federal funds.

Councillor Joe Mihevc (Ward 21, St. Paul’s), a former transit commissioner, said the section in the agreement that refers to the scope of the projects “raises red flags.”

“Are there any plans to reduce the stations or stops? If it’s about that, we should know about that publicly,” he said. “We’re either partners in this or we’re not. We recognize their regional perspective. They have to recognize our local perspective.”

The Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT has an approved environmental assessment calling for 26 stops spaced about 800 metres apart on average, said Metrolinx spokesman Jamie Robinson.

Metrolinx, should it want to change that plan, would have to seek an amendment to the environmental assessment, requiring more public consultations.

“We’re in a stage now when all stations are under review because when you do an environmental assessment, it’s all concepts,” Robinson said. “But as you begin to do further work in terms of the station design, it brings more definition to what you’re planning to build.”

The exact location of the stations, which will cost about $100 million each, won’t be confirmed until around the summer of 2014.

Concern over the master agreement surfaced a day after the councillors on the transit commission officially designated a downtown relief line as a transit priority and then went on to reopen the subway-versus-LRT debate by voting for a feasibility study on two Scarborough subway options.

The move annoyed some city councillors who say Toronto has vacillated too long on the kind of transit technology it wants; that transit riders just need something to be built.

Not signing the master agreement isn’t an option, said TTC commissioner Maria Augimeri, councillor for York Centre. “He who pays the piper calls the tune. The money involved is provincial money, and the province doesn’t have time for our dilly-dallying,” she said.

Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker (Ward 32, Scarborough Centre), vice-chair of the TTC, said the concerns might be legitimate, but he’s not worried, particularly on the Eglinton LRT, which will run underground for 11 kilometres.

“Eglinton is a very tight road. That’s why they’re going underground. That’s why there’s very few places you can put a station,” he said. De Baeremaeker said he believes Metrolinx is acting in good faith.

TTC CEO Andy Byford has not yet signed the master agreement.

The only place where the TTC currently runs buses along a subway line is at the north end of Yonge St., where the stops are farther apart.

Can someone shut Mihevc and Perks up?

Last edited:

Back