News   Jun 26, 2024
 250     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

View attachment 573297
The time for discussing how the line should have been built is 14 years gone. It's a waste of time to talk about. The only thing to talk about now is what steps can be taken to mitigate the shortcomings of the line in its present form.

The first question we should be asking ourselves is why is the line nearly flush with the roadway to begin with? Putting up a raised concrete or steel divider can't prevent access to the trackway in all circumstances, but could have prevented this particular incident.
Automatic Retractable Hydraulic Bollards.

We're being way to lenient on these idiot drivers. I say we install electric shock fences, that should work pretty well.

We're being way to lenient on these idiot drivers. I say we install electric shock fences, that should work pretty well.
Said it somewhere before, but we could try the Japanese method of making people sit through a "refresher" video whenever it's time to renew their licence.

naw we need to go all the way, forced driver tests every 5 years. watch peoples skills in driving immediately improve
All the regulations in the world will not help you if the regulations are not followed.

A friend of mine told me that when she was doing some road test or other, after failing at some manoeuvre (I can't remember what), the driving instructor told her that he probably should've failed her, but he was going to go ahead and pass her. As long as you have these benevolent goofballs that look the other way, then having all the strict rules in the world isn't going to make things any better. And the situation looks it: it is patently clear to anyone who has had the misfortune of seeing a street in Ontario that the only de facto requirement to get a driver's license in this province is to have a pulse.

Perhaps, if the risk of being held legally liable for stuff your driving students do was held over your head, some of these instructors might actually behave with integrity...

All the regulations in the world will not help you if the regulations are not followed.

A friend of mine told me that when she was doing some road test or other, after failing at some manoeuvre (I can't remember what), the driving instructor told her that he probably should've failed her, but he was going to go ahead and pass her. As long as you have these benevolent goofballs that look the other way, then having all the strict rules in the world isn't going to make things any better. And the situation looks it: it is patently clear to anyone who has had the misfortune of seeing a street in Ontario that the only de facto requirement to get a driver's license in this province is to have a pulse.

Perhaps, if the risk of being held legally liable for stuff your driving students do was held over your head, some of these instructors might actually behave with integrity...
As far as I know blowing a stop sign or ignoring the rules are automatic fails. But they are supposed to pass you at 80% or so.

When I did my tests back in 2017 I actually failed for not "keeping with the speed of traffic" which was 75kph on a main road.
It took me 2 retries to pass my G test. Its harder than you think.

As far as I know blowing a stop sign or ignoring the rules are automatic fails. But they are supposed to pass you at 80% or so.

When I did my tests back in 2017 I actually failed for not "keeping with the speed of traffic" which was 75kph on a main road.
Isn't it more likely that there are different instructors with different levels of severity? I'm sure they aren't all horrid at their jobs, but if it was harder than I think to get a license, then seeing a bad driver would be like winning a lottery ticket, instead of the present situation where seeing a good driver is like winning a lottery ticket (and there certainly wouldn't be an epidemic of trucks driving around with their buckets up...)

As it stands, a good 80% of people on the roads have no business riding a bicycle, never mind driving a car.

yea can sympathise... the aurora test centre uses Wellington rd, which is 50kph but everyone drives at 70 there. its definitely tricky dealing with everyone zooming beside you.

not to mention in 2020/2021 during the height of covid they were under intense pressure with the insane backlog of test appts. i can guarantee that they dropped their testing standards to deal with the backlog.

View attachment 573297
The time for discussing how the line should have been built is 14 years gone. It's a waste of time to talk about. The only thing to talk about now is what steps can be taken to mitigate the shortcomings of the line in its present form.

The first question we should be asking ourselves is why is the line nearly flush with the roadway to begin with? Putting up a raised concrete or steel divider can't prevent access to the trackway in all circumstances, but could have prevented this particular incident.

Two issues. One is emergency vehicles. And the other, you'll have have the UT crowd yelling that it ruins the streetscape. No winning here, unfortunately.

The tests in Canada are a joke. Sure, you have to deal with the occasional conundrum of keeping up with traffic vs breaking the speed limit, but other countries have much more intense tests, including having to prove that you can maneuver your car through an obstacle course, which most drivers here would fail at. Here, it's basically drive to the highway, get on the highway, get off the highway, parallel park, you're done.

The tests in Canada are a joke. Sure, you have to deal with the occasional conundrum of keeping up with traffic vs breaking the speed limit, but other countries have much more intense tests, including having to prove that you can maneuver your car through an obstacle course, which most drivers here would fail at. Here, it's basically drive to the highway, get on the highway, get off the highway, parallel park, you're done.
Yup and they also have to pass night driving too on roads and highways. I'll bet a huge number would fail here

Even doing that is enough to be considered a good driver. The whole obstacle course thing they do on that Canadas worst driver is just for show really. I mean when you have 15 collisions you have other problems than not knowing how to go around pylons.

When youre doing highway driving, changing lanes you kind of are doing an obstacle course.

Back