News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 820     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

They're very expensive, but you can buy basically unbreakable locks now -- even power tools will wear out before they are cut.
Litelok X1 and X3, as well as the Hiplock D1000. I have the X1; it’s a chonker and significantly heavier than my Abus Granit. I cant imagine how heavy the X3 and D1000 are.

Litelok X1 and X3, as well as the Hiplock D1000. I have the X1; it’s a chonker and significantly heavier than my Abus Granit. I cant imagine how heavy the X3 and D1000 are.
$252 though? I imagine that's as expensive as the average rider's bike.

Any locking technique has to be a balance between what you’re willing to spend and the cost of what you’re securing.

Often the best strategy - as @evandyk pointed out - is to make your bike harder to steal than the surrounding ones. Or, just use Bikeshare.

Also, I think it’s a little sad that the vast majority of people have never experienced (or will never experience) anything better than a department store bike. They are awful. One would be better off buying a used bike from a coop. That said, I don’t judge people for buying what they can to get some wheels.

Two things....First, you get what you pay for.

And second, $252 wasn't even half of average price of a rider's bike when I was last in the bike industry almost 20 years ago.

To reiterate @evandyk 's point.....I recall many, many years ago interacting with bike courier downtown who had a very high-end carbon fibre bike frame well before they were commonplace. He wrapped his frame in electrical tape so as to disguise what it actually was. He had it for many years. But if you knew, you knew.....

Dan

as someone that owns a high end bike worth over $3000 I think the whole "someone cut my lock" is a bit exaggerated.

In the way that you cant buy a $15 wallmart lock expecting it to keep the bike safe, you have to invest in a good lock.

This isnt an ad, but I use a "kryptonite new york lock" which comes with insurance because they are so confident its that hard to cut. They will give you the full cost of the bike if your bike gets stolen while locked up
Its just over $100.

Two things....First, you get what you pay for.

And second, $252 wasn't even half of average price of a rider's bike when I was last in the bike industry almost 20 years ago.

To reiterate @evandyk 's point.....I recall many, many years ago interacting with bike courier downtown who had a very high-end carbon fibre bike frame well before they were commonplace. He wrapped his frame in electrical tape so as to disguise what it actually was. He had it for many years. But if you knew, you knew.....

Dan

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate paying for quality as much as the next person, just had a bit of sticker shock. A Kryptonite lock in the $100-150 range was more so my expectation.

As a pretty casual rider who mainly uses BikeShare now I might be a bit out of touch to what daily cyclist commuters are using these days. I guess it's very possible most people are riding $1000 bikes and locking them up outside..

as someone that owns a high end bike worth over $3000 I think the whole "someone cut my lock" is a bit exaggerated.\
It's not.

I worked at a host of different bike stores in my youth, most in the east end but one in Cabbagetown. In the east end, we'd get a couple of people a week coming in looking for a new bike because their previous one had its lock cut. Downtown, it was more like daily.

And that was 25 years ago. More people are cycling today. I don't have any hard numbers unfortunately, but it stands to reason that more people are getting their bikes stolen, too.

In the way that you cant buy a $15 wallmart lock expecting it to keep the bike safe, you have to invest in a good lock.
Agreed.

This isnt an ad, but I use a "kryptonite new york lock" which comes with insurance because they are so confident its that hard to cut. They will give you the full cost of the bike if your bike gets stolen while locked up
Its just over $100.
It's way more than $100. I used to sell them by the tonne at $150, and that was 25 and more years ago.

Dan

Lots of new detail on the Eglinton East LRT here:

Apparently the EELRT will use different vehicles because of how the tunnels will be positioned away from Kennedy station and the SSE (Line 2 extension to STC)

It's not.

I worked at a host of different bike stores in my youth, most in the east end but one in Cabbagetown. In the east end, we'd get a couple of people a week coming in looking for a new bike because their previous one had its lock cut. Downtown, it was more like daily.

And that was 25 years ago. More people are cycling today. I don't have any hard numbers unfortunately, but it stands to reason that more people are getting their bikes stolen, too.

Agreed.

It's way more than $100. I used to sell them by the tonne at $150, and that was 25 and more years ago.

Dan
I got this for 130$ total 2 years ago
inflation hurts

my point was that there is alot of people who buy sub-100$ cable locks and think its good enough.
You say people came in saying their lock was cut, but didnt say which one. How do you know they didnt use cable locks?

Apparently the EELRT will use different vehicles because of how the tunnels will be positioned away from Kennedy station and the SSE (Line 2 extension to STC)
Yes, the reason for this is explained in Steve Munro's post here from 2022:
The problem originates in a design change made by Metrolinx in the design at Kennedy Station. When the line would have had through running to STC via an LRT replacement for the SRT, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT was to be at the same depth as the existing subway with a common mezzanine above for transfers between the two lines. With the decision to extend the subway, the Crosstown’s elevation was changed to be at mezzanine level to reduce the cost of excavation for the new station.

If the EELRT was to through-run with the Crosstown, it would have to cross under the GO corridor just above, but to the north of the subway tunnel. The geometry of the situation was such that the EELRT, instead of surfacing east of Kennedy Station, would have to run underground through a Midland Station and then rise to the surface.

The subway tunnel was not designed by Metrolinx to carry the load of an LRT line immediately above it, and there were also clearance problems with the southeastern abutment of the Eglinton Avenue bridge over the GO corridor. The lack of a joint tunnel design for the two services says something about the lack of commitment to project integration.

Also, I am old enough to remember when this thread was about the Eglinton Crosstown. Two pages on bike locks, my god. Make a different thread

Yes, the reason for this is explained in Steve Munro's post here from 2022:

Also, I am old enough to remember when this thread was about the Eglinton Crosstown. Two pages on bike locks, my god. Make a different thread
Just what we need, more orphan threads with less posts than I have fingers

Newbie Ottawa riders thought that they could force the doors to stop closing - or reopen - by brute force.
I thought the issue was derailments? In this video Alstom is blaming loose wheel nuts.

Let's hope we don't suffer such issues with the Crosstown.

Last edited:

Back