News   May 09, 2024
 152     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This is a constant anxiety of mine for the elevated portion of the line. I anticipate many accidents and disruptions.

Via Twitter.
You mean the at grade portion of the line... the elevated is raised above ground on its own viaduct... but yes I anticipate many dumb and aloof drivers who deserve suspensions and revocationa getting into accidents with the trams

The problem in Kitchener is the number of times that the tracks enter and exit the roadway.

I don't hear of either the Queensway or St Clair as being excessive in accidents - certainly there are some, as there will be on Eglinton - but this is not a huge showstopper.

What I do worry about is that the signage at intersections on Eglinton has been overthought - there are more different signs and lights at an intersection than a driver may be able to spot and absorb while in motion, and if there is a larger vehicle ahead or beside them, the key sign for their passage may be hidden. Likewise, there are near side stop structures that actually block a driver's view of the signage. But that's a function of the traffic engineering, not the decision to build at ground level.

"Slow down for safety" is a good rule, but some will learn it the hard way.

- Paul

Yep, as crs1026 points out, the ION is really quite different from the ELRT, being really a tram-train with significant street running throughout the cities, many esoteric types of intersections and switches in which side of the road it's running in, and where many of the accidents happen with people making turns into the road from driveways. Now I do expect more than a few problems with people making left turns at intersections and delaying the whole system (they could have just elevated the thing east of Don Mills, damnit) but it shouldn't be as prone to these problems as ION

I, also wish they elevated the surface section. It bothers me how the conversation/narrative is a focus on transit effectiveness or on cost. Fiscal conservatives really are frustrating.

As I have heard others mention, splitting the line seems more likely than real transit priority. Frustrating also talking about priority as anything but extremely unlikely.

I'm going on the optimistic side and saying that Line 5 and 6 both open on Monday, September 16, 2024. That's six months from today!

the September opening date does sound very convincing to me as a target for Metrolinx. I honestly think they may be shooting for September as well. Schools open, students return to the city, traffic congestion is usually pretty high.

But I am going to guess Monday, November 4, 2024

Im thinking that Metrolinx wants to open in September but there will be inevitable delays that push them from that date.

1000056024.jpg
1000056022.jpg

I wonder if they'll ever address this difficiency. These 4 lights have been perpetually on 24/7 ever since they were installed about 5 years ago. Ice raised this to ML before via their X page but theve never looked into it... 🫠

the September opening date does sound very convincing to me as a target for Metrolinx. I honestly think they may be shooting for September as well. Schools open, students return to the city, traffic congestion is usually pretty high.

But I am going to guess Monday, November 4, 2024

Im thinking that Metrolinx wants to open in September but there will be inevitable delays that push them from that date.
One thing to keep in mind.....

The opening date will be set by the TTC, not Metrolinx. They are the ones operating the line, and they will need to do their own testing and burn-in once they have been given the go-ahead by Metrolinx & Crosslinx. All Metrolinx & Crosslinx will announce is a hand-over date.

This also means that the opening date will likely occur on the start of a board period - which is always a Sunday.

Dan

I wonder if they'll ever address this difficiency. These 4 lights have been perpetually on 24/7 ever since they were installed about 5 years ago. Ice raised this to ML before via their X page but theve never looked into it... 🫠

Don't assume that just because it isn't remedied, it hasn't been noted or examined. Five years is a long time, but even so - the cost of five years' wasted energy versus the cost of a day's delay in the project - I'm content if they are simply letting this one stand while they attack other things.

- Paul

Don't assume that just because it isn't remedied, it hasn't been noted or examined. Five years is a long time, but even so - the cost of five years' wasted energy versus the cost of a day's delay in the project - I'm content if they are simply letting this one stand while they attack other things.

- Paul
Considering the amount of electual work that's been done at that area since this deficiency first came about, they could have easily fit it in to the work orders if it was actually noted. Then again, this is CTS we're talking about here and construction management hasn't exactly been Their sharpest point

5 years and counting for addressing a deficiency as relatively simple as this is honestly very unacceptable Especially since They tore up and repaved brand new curbs Three times in this same Time span.

My honest guess is that the foreman is either too aloof or doesn't care enough to make this an issue to be fixed. Or it could be the underlying issue as described above.

Last edited:

Back