News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There are 2 rules in Ontario.........one for Toronto and one for everyone else. Torontonians don't seem to realize that there is a place named Ontario where not everybody lives in the GTA. Most Torontonians would faint if you told them that less than half of all Ontarians live in the GTA.
I have always found it amazing how Torontonians constantly manage to bitch at senior levels of government about not getting enough infrastructure funds but absolutely refuse to chip in one nickel themselves. Even the idea of having to come up with one third the cost of transit infrastructure like in the rest of the province is heresy. Torontonians feel they are incredibly hard done by and the rest of Ontario can afford their one third because they don't have Toronto's problems. I know for a fact that my home town of London has decided to abolish all taxes from here on in as all those WASPs have gobs of money to spare.
Toronto bitches but have no idea how good they have it. Any city on this whole planet would gleefully give their left nut to have a senior level government build them a $8.2 mass transit line and not ask for the city itself to chip in anything.
If Sheppard and the DRL don't get done it is 100% Toronto's fault not Queen's Park.

Very True. It's the city council that has ruined this again for all of us. Time for tolls.

Go back to BC. You have no clue where the tax dollars come from.

BTW it's $8 billion over 8 years. $1 billion per year. Toronto sends out far more tax dollars per year than it gets back.

Toronto: 2.5 million people, $7.9 billion in Provincial funding (subtract the Federal funding for Sheppard). Works out to $3,160 in Provincial funding for every person in Toronto.

Ottawa: 900,000 people. $600 million in Provincial funding. $666 per person.

Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge: 480,000 people. $300 million from the Province. $625 per person.

Hamilton: Haven't even gotten a funding commitment from the Provincial government.

Toronto may send out more tax dollars than it gets back, but it definitely doesn't send out nearly 5x what it gets back, which is what it would need to be in order for the amount of transit dollars it gets compared to other municipalities to be fair.

The issue right now is finding a way to get a transit-related item on the council agenda. To avoid going through the committee process -- where any item can get deferred forever --, an item needs 2/3s support from councillors. While the mayor absolutely does not have a majority on his side, he may still have enough friends to prevent council from getting the 30 votes it needs.

Right now, it seems like councillors are seizing on Gordon Chong's Sheppard Subway report (due to come to council in February) as a chance to make significant changes to overall transit plans. This might be a good play, though it's possible the Chair will rule motions that go beyond the scope of the report (ie. private funding for the Sheppard subway) as out-of-order.

If Ford shunted a specific resolution on Eglinton/Shepaprd to committee instead of voting on it, I think there would be hell to pay. The provincial government is already on record saying (was it Wynne? Chiarelli?) that Council should vote on the MOU. If Ford just outright filibusters I think he'll be in an untenable position. (Untenable even for Ford.)

Toronto: 2.5 million people, $7.9 billion in Provincial funding (subtract the Federal funding for Sheppard). Works out to $3,160 in Provincial funding for every person in Toronto.

Ottawa: 900,000 people. $600 million in Provincial funding. $666 per person.

Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge: 480,000 people. $300 million from the Province. $625 per person.

Hamilton: Haven't even gotten a funding commitment from the Provincial government.

Toronto may send out more tax dollars than it gets back, but it definitely doesn't send out nearly 5x what it gets back, which is what it would need to be in order for the amount of transit dollars it gets compared to other municipalities to be fair.

Divide by ridership and it starts to make sense.

GRT: 14 million
OC Transpo: 100 million
TTC: 500 million

Ottawa's deal still looks a bit chintzy. But put in matching funding from the feds and it's similar too.

Dufferin Station
Preliminary Design
Display Panels

can be downloaded in PDF form at this link. It's 43 pages long.

The website for the Dufferin Station is at this link.

Noticed they might be eliminating the two traffic islands (north-west corner and south-east corner) at Dufferin and Eglinton. The Esso gasoline station could be replaced by with the main entrance and the secondary entrance will be just east of the Shoppers Drug Mart and over the current right turn lane.
Thanks for the link. Good to see the plans.

However, somehow all of a sudden it seems anticlimactic. I just hope the City Council don't screw us all over yet again. Just frickin' build the thing dammit!

Divide by ridership and it starts to make sense.

GRT: 14 million
OC Transpo: 100 million
TTC: 500 million

Ottawa's deal still looks a bit chintzy. But put in matching funding from the feds and it's similar too.

I don't think ridership is a good metric to use, especially when you're talking about tax dollars. Why? Because ridership is dependant on funding. If you pump in more money, you're going to get more ridership. If you cut the amount of money going into transit, ridership is going to drop. It's a chicken and egg scenario. How are municipalities going to increase transit ridership if they don't have the money to build the infrastructure to do it?

I think basing the number on population, or more specifically the number of people in a given population who pay taxes, then you get a good idea. It's not like the Provincial funding is only coming from people who take transit. Everyone who pays taxes is helping pay for the infrastructure.

And when you break down the ridership numbers you posted above, Toronto averages 200 trips per person per year, while Ottawa averages 111. 1.8x the number of trips per person per year does not equal 5x the funding per person. If you want to use your funding formula, then Toronto should be getting 1.8x whatever funding Ottawa gets, because that's the ratio of transit trips to population.

Someone tell McGuinty to cut a cheque for $35.00 so Moose Factory can get their population rated share of the transit pie and start on the Birch Street LRT. You have to plan for the future!

Looking at one metric, such as population, to determine correct funding allocations is dumb. Larger and denser metro areas have more complicated transit needs that are naturally more expensive. Toronto should be getting more dollars per person than Kitchener or Hamilton and there are places in Ontario that should be getting 0 transit dollars.

Last edited:
I don't think ridership is a good metric to use, especially when you're talking about tax dollars. Why? Because ridership is dependant on funding. If you pump in more money, you're going to get more ridership. If you cut the amount of money going into transit, ridership is going to drop. It's a chicken and egg scenario. How are municipalities going to increase transit ridership if they don't have the money to build the infrastructure to do it?

I think basing the number on population, or more specifically the number of people in a given population who pay taxes, then you get a good idea. It's not like the Provincial funding is only coming from people who take transit. Everyone who pays taxes is helping pay for the infrastructure.

And when you break down the ridership numbers you posted above, Toronto averages 200 trips per person per year, while Ottawa averages 111. 1.8x the number of trips per person per year does not equal 5x the funding per person. If you want to use your funding formula, then Toronto should be getting 1.8x whatever funding Ottawa gets, because that's the ratio of transit trips to population.

That's why I mentioned the federal funding.

If you want per capita "transit" funding, Hudak's your man. But come on, a lot of TTC riders don't even live in the city of Toronto.

Looking at one metric, such as population, to determine correct funding allocations is dumb. Larger and denser metro areas have more complicated transit needs that are naturally more expensive. Toronto should be getting more dollars per person than Kitchener or Hamilton and there are places in Ontario that should be getting 0 transit dollars.

So just because someplace is bigger that means that they should be getting a disproportionately large amount of the transit dollars available? Toronto gets $8.2 billion in transit funding from higher levels of government, and doesn't even have to put in a penny, while cities like Ottawa and Kitchener need to put in over 1/3 of the cost of their projects, just because they don't have as "complicated transit needs" as Toronto does? What a croc of crap.

I have no problem with Toronto getting more money than Ottawa does, because Toronto has 2.8x as many people than Ottawa does. But does that mean that Toronto should get 6.8x as much funding as Ottawa does (when federal funds are factored in)?

I'm not saying Toronto should get fewer transit dollars than it is currently getting, but you have to admit that the deals that Ottawa and K-W got look really shitty in comparison.

Just to further on that, what I'd ultimately like to see is a permanent Provincial Infrastructure Funding Arrangement (PIFA) created. What this would entail is a simple $X/citizen for every City, Region, or County in the Province that can be spent on anything transportation related. It would be a steady source of funding for municipalities to arrange capital transportation infrastructure projects. For a nice round number, something around $200 per citizen per year.

For a City like Toronto, this would be about $500 million per year from the Provincial government that they could put into anything transportation related, but for a larger city like Toronto it would hopefully be spent on transit. The course of a big infrastructure project is usually about 8 years, so the City could count on about $4 billion for that project over the planning/construction period.

For a City like Ottawa, it would be around $180 million per year. Still nothing to sneeze at, as it would have funded a significant portion of the LRT project.

Even for a small town, it could mean a renewal of Main Street, or building a new bridge.

But the biggest benefit of all would be the elimination of the 'hat in hand' method that is currently employed every time a municipality asks for funding. A constant and dependable stream of money to help build infrastructure. If they want more, implement revenue generation tools to come up with the money on your own (ex: road tolls).

If I may throw a dark cloud into the proceedings, what happens if those expected Provincial budget cuts this spring reduce transit funding to Toronto even more? An Eglinton line that only goes from Black Creek to Don Mills perhaps??

Last edited:
But come on, a lot of TTC riders don't even live in the city of Toronto.
Which does raise the question of why they are paying the same TTC fare as those that live in Toronto, given that about 1/3 of the cost of operations comes out of the City of Toronto budget.

Which does raise the question of why they are paying the same TTC fare as those that live in Toronto, given that about 1/3 of the cost of operations comes out of the City of Toronto budget.

This line of thinking is very dangerous. It's a real threat to the proper integration of transit across the region. And it's a threat to the city's own interest. You can impose additional fees for out of towners, or give discounts to residents. But what if the 905'ers decide then that they don't want to pay for subways in Toronto? What if they start pressing politicians to reduce GO service in Toronto (or charge more to 416 residents)? And what happens if the burbs respond in kind? Imagine the mess we'll have as people flock to their cars in response.

Proper public transit service is as much in our own interest as it is in theirs. Also, there's no way that more than 1/3rd of the TTC's ridership is composed on non-residents. So you could argue that the city is still mostly subsidizing Toronto residents.

This line of thinking is very dangerous.
I completely disagree. I'm not suggesting that they pay more fares. I'm suggesting that TTC be funded appropriately from other Regional and Provincial governments to account for the very high number of non-Toronto residents who use TTC, in comparison to Toronto residents who use other systems.

Proper integration of transit isn't going to happen without appropriate funding being provided to the agency (TTC) that would take the biggest hit.

Also, there's no way that more than 1/3rd of the TTC's ridership is composed on non-residents. So you could argue that the city is still mostly subsidizing Toronto residents.
That's a very odd piece of logic. Simply because most riders are Torontonians doesn't mean Torontonians should be subsidizing the 905ers who use TTC.

Just to further on that, what I'd ultimately like to see is a permanent Provincial Infrastructure Funding Arrangement (PIFA) created. What this would entail is a simple $X/citizen for every City, Region, or County in the Province that can be spent on anything transportation related.

This is a lousy way to do it from a business perspective. Given every department an equal $N without regard to actual requirements or income from that area. It might appear most fair but can really hurt the pocket book of everybody in the provice.

How does it hurt everybody?

Different regions have different constraints on their economic growth. Targetting those specific constraints will best boost all growth overall. Toronto's main constraint at this time is in moving people. Building a new highway in Thunderbay (something they want) isn't going to help the jobs situation there thus no new hospital/education money (income tax revenue).

Growing Toronto does mean new hostpital/education money and that does tend to get distrubuted pretty evenly; with Toronto reveiving significantly less than paid in those categories.

So, how do you improve health-care in Thunderbay? Projects like the Georgetown corridor and Union Station capacity improvements is one way to do it. It's indirect and time consuming, but it is sustainable income that does not require long term deficit spending to accomplish.

That's why Toronto deserves higher than normal transportation spending at this time. FYI, a Toronto specific road toll or tax would be an acceptable way to accomplish this higher spending level but we don't seem to be able to do that.

It would take one heck of a huge tax ($30 or more per day) to offset the benefits a DRL and electrification of GO would have. $5/day/person would be easily absorbed by the region if GO capacity doubled.

Last edited:

Back