News   Jul 09, 2024
 737     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 600     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I think to differentiate LRT routes from subway lines the subway lines still be numbered but use letters for the LRT routes where most of them are on the road and are really enhanced local service as opposed to rapid transit.
The boat has sailed on this. We should re-name this thread. It's called Line 5 Eglinton. Which - for the record - is just fine by me.

I have ten fingers; however, so I can count higher. We should get on with harassing - sorry - pushing - the provincial government with getting Line 7 and Line 8 (whatever they are) under way. (Since out of a - very nice and very large commitment - April 2019 - we could only build one line, re-number it as 3 (Ontario) and then extend 1, 2 and 5 again)

The one good thing about this signage is that is does indicate what GO line is at each interchange, rather than just a generic GO logo. But otherwise, why didn't they just let the TTC do the damn signage?
Looking at it again. Yes, It says "Barrie Line"

But it would have been clearer with a logo "GO Barrie". Or "GO Kitchener". And folks, this from the organization that runs GO Transit. It is sad that the jurisdictional stupidity runs to TTC not putting GO logos on maps and GO not putting TTC logos on maps. Their spitting contest outweighs the need to help travelers navigate clearly.

I would prefer heavy-rail subway lines to use letters, like in New York. Could be A,B,C,D, or could be Y, B, S for Sheppard, R for Scarborough RT while it still runs. LRT lines would have numbers, starting from 1 for Eglinton, buses would be numbered 20+, legacy streetcars 500+.

But it doesn't really matter much. As long as the numbering system is consistent, riders will learn it and they will be comfortable.

Last edited:
The boat has sailed on this. We should re-name this thread. It's called Line 5 Eglinton. Which - for the record - is just fine by me.

I have ten fingers; however, so I can count higher. We should get on with harassing - sorry - pushing - the provincial government with getting Line 7 and Line 8 (whatever they are) under way. (Since out of a - very nice and very large commitment - April 2019 - we could only build one line, re-number it as 3 (Ontario) and then extend 1, 2 and 5 again)
When we decided on the numbering, I think we secretly admitted that we never want to go above 9.

I would prefer heavy-rail subway lines to use letters, like in New York. Could be A,B,C,D, or could be Y, B, S for Sheppard, R for Scarborough RT while it still runs. LRT lines would have numbers, starting from 1 for Eglinton, buses would be numbered 20+, legacy streetcars 500+.

But it doesn't really matter much. As long as the numbering system is consistent, riders will learn it and they will be comfortable.
The thing with most of the letters - is that it rarely needs explanation. When you say Y and B - everyone knows what you mean. When they say line 3, 4 or 6, you have no idea and have to look it up.
We are committed to these LRT's, so I say they get the same letters as subway.
Subways. O (Ontario) + the ones you mentioned.
LRT's = H (Harbourfront), C (st. Clair), P (sPadina), F (Finch), E (Eglinton), J (Jane)?

HA YBS. Thats what I ask myself about the TTC when im stuck in another delay.

"Y BS? Y!!"

I'm confused. I find letters are what need to be explained while numbers are what is standard. Like what the TTC uses ( Line 1 Yonge, 505 Dundas, 35A Jane). And the subway lines are numbered 1 to 4. Which makes sense as we have 4 lines and will add numbers as we add lines. Why would the TTC start grabbing random letters from each route name to differentiate between the lines?

"C (st. Clair), P (sPadina) " - really...?

You can also run into the issue with having multiple routes with the same initial letter in the name. There's also the fact that letters are useful to differentiate between different branches of the same route, as the TTC does for its busses and Europe does with its branching metros. You don't have to worry about reusing the same letters because they only apply within the line/route.

I hope it stays an idea. haha
Let's not take NYC's subway lettering as an example of how to do things. It is by far one of the most confusing naming systems I have seen...

I'm confused. I find letters are what need to be explained while numbers are what is standard. Like what the TTC uses ( Line 1 Yonge, 505 Dundas, 35A Jane). And the subway lines are numbered 1 to 4. Which makes sense as we have 4 lines and will add numbers as we add lines. Why would the TTC start grabbing random letters from each route name to differentiate between the lines?

"C (st. Clair), P (sPadina) " - really...?

You can also run into the issue with having multiple routes with the same initial letter in the name. There's also the fact that letters are useful to differentiate between different branches of the same route, as the TTC does for its busses and Europe does with its branching metros. You don't have to worry about reusing the same letters because they only apply within the line/route.
I took the Sheppard East bus for about 2 years and the Finch East for 4 years going to university. I have no idea what number they were.
Yonge subway was always Yonge, or Yonge-University, or Yonge-University-Spadina.
Just because TTC came up with an illogical numbering system a few years ago - doesn't mean it's intuitive to people.

I took the Sheppard East bus for about 2 years and the Finch East for 4 years going to university. I have no idea what number they were.
Yonge subway was always Yonge, or Yonge-University, or Yonge-University-Spadina.
Just because TTC came up with an illogical numbering system a few years ago - doesn't mean it's intuitive to people.
The recent numbering is for the subway lines. Buses have had number since forever. Or even when I was a student. Islington 37.

As for going to university, normally one who completes university is observant. And an observant person might have noted the bus number on the roll sign Or transfer after six years riding a bus. But I digress. Given an avatar of a university lecturer such as Ludwig Von Drake, someone must be an absent-minded professor.

I hope it stays an idea. haha
Let's not take NYC's subway lettering as an example of how to do things. It is by far one of the most confusing naming systems I have seen...
New York's is very intuitive if you're not colourblind and understand the system. Letters for BMT/IND, Numbers for IRT. Colours for the main subway line, numbers/letters for the route. If you need to go down 8th avenue, you'll go down 8th avenue if you take any blue train.

The recent numbering is for the subway lines. Buses have had number since forever. Or even when I was a student. Islington 37.

As for going to university, normally one who completes university is observant. And an observant person might have noted the bus number on the roll sign Or transfer after six years riding a bus. But I digress. Given an avatar of a university lecturer such as Ludwig Von Drake, someone must be an absent-minded professor.
Forgot to mention that I also often took the Carlton Streetcar - again with no idea of the number.

Back