Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

There was a rendering in todays star (Thursday Jan. 31st). From the smallish rendering it doesn't appear as though they made any changes to the exterior or the building- I think the article even states that changes were made internally, and that D+S are working on further exterior refinements.
Good luck! This goose is cooked!

It looks like the main exterior changes from the last version was to:
re-introduce the angled terraces on the top floors of the building;
the addition of an extra floor to emphasize the step-back effect; and
a more transparent atrium to allow better public view into the inside of the building.

I saw the rendering in The Star. It looks like the first design. I don't think they have released a rendering to the public.

No, the article says that there are slanted roofs and an extra floor which doesn't seem to show in the rendering in yesterday's paper.

The panel approved the project several times - kinda, sorta - then rejected it. Now they've gone back to approving it - kind, sorta. Who knows what they'll do next? Given the suggestions of conflict of interest that have dogged their deliberations, perhaps best not to speculate. They don't always seem to understand their own ground rules either - last summer panel member Hariri Pontarini wanted the building "cantilevered on the lake" when guidelines call for a public promenade designed to keep private businesses from blocking access to it in that way. Seen in this light, clearly D+S are right to focus on substance over spectacle - and the reference to the Sydney Opera House ( a pretty but acoustically-challended example of what is often unthinkingly cited as "great architecture" ) is apt.

This isn't an Opera House.

alklay is right. It doesn't have to be style or substance...it can be both.

So a couple angled walls and a few doors = 4.5M of tax dollars. Is anyone else outraged?
9M tax dollars total! What a waste. So many other projects could use that money instead of throwing it at some office building. May I add that the main view of this is from the water. How many Torontonians will get the luxury of seeing this view?
A total waste.:mad:

So really they just brought it back to the previous proposal...and replaced the egg with a screen. It's not awful...I mean I liked it before it began to be stripped of its interesting features

syn: The reference to the Sydney Opera house was Jeff Steiner's, not mine.

I take his quote, "Not every building will be the Sydney Opera House" to mean that not every building will fail to provide substance, which is the case with the Sydney Opera House - a structure that only works as spectacle.

Wow, that's a pretty banal building, from the exterior anyways. The west facade rendering is ridiculous.

Back