Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

These birds pass through Toronto, using our airspace without stopping to spend so much as a dime, and then we have to turn out the lights to stop them from circling to death. What a bunch of dumb freeloaders.
Don't forget they have no respect or working knowledge of hygiene, and are liable to relieve themselves at any opportunity.

This is great news, woohoo! This explains why each day and night on my way home I see elevators seemingly stopped in the shaft. I noticed in the GO train Monday morning that the elevator on the North side had workers doing something with what looked like the door open on the elevator car. It's about bloody time.

Funny thing is I don't recall it being lit up in the 90's or ever! For something that's held the title as the worlds tallest free standing structure for 30 yeasr it demands some bling. And if migrating geese fly into it, to bad! Weed out the dumb I say!;)

Why would they light it "red, white, and blue on American Independence Day" as the article suggests? Sure, that holiday commemorates an event of significance in world history, but these it seems more of a distinctly American holiday.

Red-White-Blue lighting will probably be done for the American tourists. I think it's a good idea. Besides... at many border cities across Canada and the U.S. both sides celebrate July 1st and July 4th together.

Red, white and blue is in the Toronto flag as well. Be that as it may, some visitors will always refer to it as the "CNN Tower."

The Needle

I've heard some American tourists call it "the needle". Once a tourist stopped and asked me for directions to the "L Hotel". I said never heard of the L Hotel. She said their travel agent said its beside "the needle" After I stopped laughing my head off, I gave them directions back to Pearson.

This explains why each day and night on my way home I see elevators seemingly stopped in the shaft.

I've also been noticing that on the south side at night.

I think the tower needs some kind of change to spice it up- this should help a lot. Hopefully it will be done tastefully, too much of that LED strip lighting can look pretty tacky. Glad they're being conscientious about the migration seasons as well- thumbs up for that.

I thought this would have been posted already, but it turns out there are plans for lighting up the tower: (ETA: Oh, never mind, I came to this already existing thread first, but there is a thread already talking about this. Never mind. )

Come Canada Day, CN Tower will once again light up the night

TheStar.com
May 30, 2007 04:30 AM
Debra Black
Staff Reporter

Shanghai has one. So do New York, Paris and London. And now so will Toronto come Canada Day.

Like the Shanghai Tower, Empire State Building and London Eye, the CN Tower will also be ablaze at night with light and colour.

Toronto's internationally known landmark and the world's tallest freestanding tower is to be outfitted with 1,330 brilliant LED lights that will shoot up the elevator shaft, over the "bubble" and straight to the mast.

"We were conspicuously not lit at night," said Jack Robinson, chief operating officer of the CN Tower, in a phone interview with the Star. "The reason for lighting it is to celebrate Canada's national tower and national icon ... We want to have the tower as a beacon for the city of Toronto and Canada."

The 553-metre CN Tower, which has 2 million visitors a year, was once ablaze with lights, beginning when it first opened. But 10 years ago the incandescent lights, the size of washing machines, were permanently dimmed because they were expensive and inefficient to repair. The tower remained barely visible in the night sky with only enough lighting for airplanes.

But now thanks to these new energy-saving computer-programmed LEDs, the tower will be seen in all its glory and most importantly will be energy-efficient, using 10 per cent less energy than current lighting and 60 per cent less than when the tower was last fully lit in the 1990s, Robinson said.

The new lights, programmed from a desktop computer, will all be in place on the tower by early June and testing is to begin sometime after that.

CN Tower officials say that they still must decide whether the tower will be lit up all night long, but that during spring and fall bird migration season the lights will be off.

I wish it's similar to the Effiel Tower, lit up the lights from the ground all the way to the top...clear/white/red colours would be nice...
eiffel1.jpg

Um, I not going to expect anything exciting about this...

1 - LED is not bright. Look at the ones they use during Xmas on Yonge Street...very dark.

2 - Similar to the 90s? I didn't recall any bright lights, big CN Tower in the 90s.

3 - Worst of all....red white and blue on July 4? Since when we celebrate another country's holiday? Why don't they do it for all other international holidays too then, why just the US?

4 - Are they going to make the tower rainbow like during Pride? I don't think so!

Looks as though they're attaching cables to the edges of of the of the shaft on all three sides.

Back