Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Here is a reply I got back from the CN Tower last Friday which I should have posted originally.....

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the CN Tower, Canada's National Tower and Wonder of the Modern World.

As it has for over a decade, the CN Tower supports bird friendly practices by reducing exterior lighting during migration periods to prevent potential bird collisions and at the same time conserve energy.

September 4 to mid-November 2007: standard lighting program will be reduced during this time of year. Onlookers will see a streak of light that travels from bottom to top and changes colour each circuit from blue, green, yellow, orange and white. The ‘Top of the Hour’ lighting effect during this time of the year, will feature a 5-minute rotating white light around the Radome.

Regards,

CN TOWER/LA TOUR CN
Canada's Wonder of the World/Notre Merveille du Monde
301 Front Street West/301, rue Front Ouest
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2T6
t:416 86 TOWER
www.cntower.ca

Lighting Canada’s National Tower

Beginning at Sunset June 28, 2007

Illumination de la Tour nationale du Canada

à compter du coucher de soleil, le 28 juin 2007

Is this designed to scare the shit out of the birds so they won't hit the tower?

Something like that....

Did anyone see the tower this past Sunday (September 23)? They had an incredible lighting scheme.

What time of day were you watching Syn?

Yeah, that's been going on since bird migrating season started.

I think it makes sense. It's not a permanent light. By the time it gets the birds' attention, the light is off for another 5 to 10 minutes so they won't fly into the thing.

I like it but I wish they'd increase the frequency to every minute or so.

Yeah, that's been going on since bird migrating season started.

I think it makes sense. It's not a permanent light. By the time it gets the birds' attention, the light is off for another 5 to 10 minutes so they won't fly into the thing.

I like it but I wish they'd increase the frequency to every minute or so.

When I saw the light show it was definitely less than a minute in frequency.

I watched it last night.

A pulse races up the tower shaft from the bottom, swirls around the radome, swirls around the outdoor observation level, the continues upward again to the top, before reversing that pattern all the way down. Within a couple seconds of hitting the ground the pattern is repeated in a different colour. This light show is playing constantly, with no change at the top of the hour, and likely takes less than I minute to complete each cycle - I didn't time it.

The current lighting design at the top of the hour is a little different. For about 5 minutes a coloured pulse moves slowly from the bottom up to the radome while the matching colour of the radome rotates slower than usual but somewhat brighter than the standard lighting pattern now being used for the other 55 minutes of the hour. Above the main observation deck, dimly lit pulses flashes the matching colour in each of the 4 or 5 sections below the space deck and up into the antenna but they do not move up or down. It's somewhat different, but boring all the same.

Happy Halloween

halloween1-Oct31-07.jpg

halloween3_Oct31-07.jpg

Haha that's pretty cool!
It doesn't seem to be very lit up though. Only partially. I guess that's cuz of the birds?

Yes, their participation in the FLAP program continues until mid-November.

Back