Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
The international design competition is intriguing however, more times often them not the end result is not any better than the standard we see today. Absolute was different in the sense that the public was very much a part of the process. I'd rather just see the developer commit to one of the top international firms than a design competition.

Also remember that the architects in an international design competition are usually not engineers, and their designs often need to be redone by an engineering firm in order for them to remain standing after they have been built. This is what happened with the Absolute towers in Mississauga.

Having said that, I think this is great news.

There will still be community input along with the Councillor, City Planners and the usual players.

So we can look forward to the DRP shooting down whatever competition-winning design gets chosen?

Hopefully given the design competition they'll limit themselves to nitpicking a couple of things and then sign off on it, presuming it's an exciting and unique design.

Let me assure you, the architects on most projects are not engineers!

I knew that already, however, don't architects have a general grasp on what's possible and what's impractical? Anyone with an imagination could draw a building (I've done many) but I would have hoped that a professional architect would at least have a basic idea on the engineering required to build their design, otherwise why draw it in the first place? As Mongo pointed out, they have to totally redesign it in order to build it, seems, to me at least, a colossal waste of time, time that could be spent building, and not re-designing, just saying.....

I don't want to kickstart any sort of hysteria, but I noticed recently that they were tearing up a small section of the parking lot, close to 18 Yonge, of an area the size of 3 cars or so. They only tore it up for a day or so and then patched it up. I guess it's possible that some sort of soil analysis was going on.

I don't want to kickstart any sort of hysteria, but I noticed recently that they were tearing up a small section of the parking lot, close to 18 Yonge, of an area the size of 3 cars or so. They only tore it up for a day or so and then patched it up. I guess it's possible that some sort of soil analysis was going on.
Now you've done it! Sit back and wait for the inevitable requests for photos of the excavation.

I can post a pic. if people require it, but it's really not much to see.

I say post it. It could be the beginning of something. Someone might see something that you didn't as well.

I think Sitq is looking for gold - to offset their investment in a piece of land they have done nothing with for a long time.

Either that or Peter Munk is their silent partner and he thinks there is gold there somewhere.

Back