Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Presentation for the 4 designs was supposedly taking place today. No more info available, sorry. Guessing they pick a design, and make an announcement. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Apparently, mgmt is quite excited about making their mark in TO with this one.

Will post back when it's official. Hope I didn't share tmi.

11x....great job on the reporting....any chance to share the names of the 4 architectural firms competing?

Hope I didn't share tmi.

You will know it wasn't too much info when 100 more members post on this thread in the next few days while wiping the frothing foam from their information hungry faces. My curiosity about this project is approaching near painful levels. A design competition in a location like this is enough to make me extremely excited to see some renderings.

well! I don't kno about the original design but I would like to see a triangular or circular skyscraper, because there r a lot of rectangular boxes in Toronto.

The feds own that property and would have to publically market it if they were going to sell it. to date they HAVE NOT put that site on the market or informed any of the usual suspects (pension funds etc.) that it is available.

I agree that Nordstrom would be a great fit there (hopefully with a massive food hall a la Harrods to fee the core) and a tower behind that, podium over the tracks and another tower on the other side of the tracks would be wonderful. Pretty much the book end and somewhat mirror to what Oxford had wanted to do at Spadina.

The above post strikes me as the most relevant so far in the thread. Until there's some clarification about the ownership situation of the Dominion Public Building, this all sounds like a Blue-Sky exercise with little connection to reality. Unless the Feds are the JV partner. Has that ever happened in a similar urban core high density development situation?

This thread from way back deals with the feds planning to offload real estate:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/7939-The-Star-Have-we-got-a-real-estate-deal-for-you

Are the feds legally required to publicly market a building for sale? I don't think there are as many rules around this as there are for procurement, although there is always the issue of optics of course.

Plus, if part of this involves federal funding for a coach and GO bus station, the optics wouldn't be that bad.

Last edited:
The fed's own that property and would have to publically market it if they were going to sell it. to date they HAVE NOT put that site on the market or informed any of the usual suspects (pension funds etc.) that it is available.

I agree that Nordstroms would be a great fit there (hopefully with a massive food hall a la Harrods to fee the core) and a tower behind that, podium over the tracks and another tower on the other side of the tracks would be wonderful. Pretty much the book end and somewhat mirror to what Oxford had wanted to do at Spadina.

Does Nordstrom have a food hall in any store, anywhere? I've never seen one.

This thread from way back deals with the feds planning to offload real estate:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/7939-The-Star-Have-we-got-a-real-estate-deal-for-you

Are the feds legally required to publicly market a building for sale? I don't think there are as many rules around this as there are for procurement, although there is always the issue of optics of course.

Plus, if part of this involves federal funding for a coach and GO bus station, the optics wouldn't be that bad.

here is the Treasury Board directive http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=12043&section=text

Does Nordstrom have a food hall in any store, anywhere? I've never seen one.

No I don't think so. It was just wishful thinking on my part. They normally do a restaurant, bistro and espresso bar in their bigger stores.

As for if it has been presented for sale, it HAS NOT been to Oxford, Cadillac or Brookfield and CBRE's investment team was surprised to hear me ask. If they haven't seen it or heard of it, I would hazard to guess AMIco, CPPIB, Dundee, H&R, HOOPP etc. haven't heard of it either. There would be an uproar from many of them if they didn't get a chance to bid.

Back