Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
If the feds are moving, would Nordstrom occupy that building on Front? That would be very cool!

Assuming this includes a new coach terminal, would GO and coach buses both use a new terminal south of the tracks that would be connected to Union by tunnels and skywalks? This would leave the existing GO bus space open during construction and would leave room for a massive tower. 3 million square feet of office could easily be built with two towers, one on the GO bus terminal lands and one on top of the new coach terminal at 45 Bay. There would be no need to deck over the tracks, other than building a skywalk or two.

Nice surprise for sure....there is enough detail in the info to suggest that something is indeed happening...

I think the 'if true" part is rather important! Looks like a newbie 'red herring' to me!

To be fair to the guy who posted it - he's posted pieces of information on this building over a year ago

I can echo the comment above.

Looks like SITQ/Ivanhoe has a JV partner on this site. This will be very interesting to watch unfold.

I can't say anything more, but in my sleuthing I've discovered some interesting things that validate the post from last night.

I think the 'if true" part is rather important! Looks like a newbie 'red herring' to me!

That's a bit cynical. There are lots of members, new and old, who have access to lots of different types of development information. Something significant IS happening here.

I understand the scepticism; heck first thing that popped into my mind after "wow" was this might signify the end of the current boom/cycle.

Should have more details soon. Would love to get a copy of the design proposals. I think they get revealed today. Will update.

Sorry question, what FED building are we talking about ?? The one next to union station, isn't that GO's office's ? They recently renovated and moved into that building no ?

Go is in union station itself.

No weren't they moving into the east wing (i.e. the building to the east of Union station) ? If not who is in that building now ?

taal:

re: Federal building - it's called the Dominion Public Building (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Public_Building) currently hosting the CRA and customs I think. The GO bus lot is south of it...

re: Nordstrom at DPB - I would have difficult envisioning how that building could be refit for retail, particularly along the Front facade.

AoD

Last edited:
69 x 30, 000 sq ft (tower only minus 20, 000 sq ft for the mech on 25/26) is a lot more than 1.7 million.

First Canadian is actually:
2,293,449 sq. ft

^ This likely includes office space in the base (not retail though, just the office space). It has a lot of retail as well (i.e. 200K or so).

I'd doubt you could shoehorn a department store into the DPB - given the size of the floorplate and columns and that sort of thing. If true (yes, I'm in that camp), I bet the Feds would sell, then lease the space back. They wouldn't be moving into the new building (government doesn't want to pay for Class A space, Class A landlords don't want civil servants (apart from the Department of Justice the Exchange Tower and the CPP Investment Board going into the new E&Y building) because they are really hard on space. Query also if they would build over the tracks or if the air rights are transferred to the plot to the south.

Back