Mississauga Chicago Condos | ?m | 36s | Daniels | Kirkor

The Brownstones
Ignore the colour difference between the scans. I merged two scans together.
chicagobrownstonesmb3.jpg

I wonder if it would be better if these were live/work units as opposed to just residences? Are there any live/work units already part of the Daniel's Master Plan, and in particular the "Chicago" phase?

Those are quite the brownstones. Didn't Henry James write The Bostonians in the unit on the left?

I'll be six feet in the cold ground before I stop making fun of this development.

To show that Hazel's aiming for something other than a pricy-condo monoculture around these parts, maybe a rental/assisted block named "Gary" will be built close by

I don't think they look too bad. Not the most ornate townhouses ever, but they look kinda classic. Of course I have no idea how "Brownstones" are supposed to look so what do I know.

To show that Hazel's aiming for something other than a pricy-condo monoculture around these parts, maybe a rental/assisted block named "Gary" will be built close by

And if Heartland grows and bleeds Square One's business, it can be like that mall in suburban Chicago that went from hero to zero within only a few years in the 1970s.

Dixie Square One, anyone? Lots of space in that mall.

DixieMall1.jpg

Still a far cry from South China Mall. The world's largest mall- closing three years after opening.

Oh I know, but the trick is to continue with the Chicagoland references, and Dixie Square One does have a nice ring to it, does it not?

At least the bashing now is against dumb marketing instead of the usual MCC debates, a sign perhaps it has gotten beyond the petty Toronto-MCC fights?

"A Limited Collection of Brownstone Townhomes"...limited sure is the right word since there only seems to be 4 of them. Talk about token townhomes!

Oh I know, but the trick is to continue with the Chicagoland references, and Dixie Square One does have a nice ring to it, does it not?

Not to mention the correlation with Dixie Mall over *here*--which, from reports, could have wound up looking just like that had it not cleverly hit value-centre paydirt in the 80s...

"A Limited Collection of Brownstone Townhomes"...limited sure is the right word since there only seems to be 4 of them. Talk about token townhomes!

As far as I know there are more than that... I guess they're just showing a small example to enhance detail.

Site plan:
chicagositepv0.jpg

I don't think they look too bad. Not the most ornate townhouses ever, but they look kinda classic. Of course I have no idea how "Brownstones" are supposed to look so what do I know.

Brownstone is more of an east coast term and refers to the brown sandstone quarried in eastern Pennsylvania that was used to clad upscale townhouses in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington and other seaboard cities.

In his show, Bill Cosby lived in a brownstone. Sesame Street was lined with brownstones. Here is a picture of one in Brooklyn:

brownstone.jpg

In Chicago, where row houses are somewhat rare, housing units in older neighbourhoods are stacked vertically with each floor being one unit. A two floor apartment house is therefore called a two flat. A three floor house a three flat, and so on.

This is a Chicago "3 flat":

IMG_1616.JPG

Somehow the "Three Flats at Mississauga Centre" doesn't have quite the same ring.

After seeing Panic Room, I call them townstones.

Even if there's 12 brownstones, they're still quite token. And that's always a shame because condo base townhomes are sometimes really interesting and would almost always look better in larger numbers, on longer blocks, on both sides of a cute street, etc. But they always get pushed around by driveways, doomed retail units, and endless amenities space. There must be some sort of "you must build 4 townhomes for every 100 highrise units" by-law.

nice post Hipster Duck. The developers should trying using language that at least has some basis in reality..I know it is much to ask from marketing copy but they should see the risk that people might not want to live in a place that isn't really a "brownstone" style in a place called "Chicago".

I still think it is funny that we call these developments this. I was in Chicago and New York I would never see a condo development called "Toronto".

Does it really matter what they call them? It's just for marketing. Will anyone call Chicago that years down the road? Or One Park Tower? Or The Capital, North & South Tower?

Back