Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

I understand that it's hard to read through any number of pages in any number of threads, but the fact that the new structure's podium does not make any decent attempt to 'mirror' the existing building is something which has been discussed at some length here. What's more problematic however, is that a progressive office block by an accomplished and now-deceased architect is being destroyed so that Edenshaw can toss up another condo.

If you really want to press it though, I'm sure adma would be happy to go more directly for the jugular.

I can't see much of a "TD Centre / X condo"-ish homage to DuBois in this tower, especially since the more significant of the two dies so the lesser one can be born.

... in fact, I can't think of any local buildings that successfully ghost what went before on the same site ... though there might be examples. When it comes to homage structures, apart from TD / X, only Darling and Pearson's 1925 Trinity College ( a clear derivative of Kivas Tully's original Trinity, which was still standing at the time the new version was built ) comes to mind.

I understand that it's hard to read through any number of pages in any number of threads, but the fact that the new structure's podium does not make any decent attempt to 'mirror' the existing building is something which has been discussed at some length here. What's more problematic however, is that a progressive office block by an accomplished and now-deceased architect is being destroyed so that Edenshaw can toss up another condo.

If you really want to press it though, I'm sure adma would be happy to go more directly for the jugular.

ummmm....when you say "another" Edenshaw condo i think you mean to say "its first"

I'm not saying it's good at it or anything, but IIRC the Direct Energy Centre ghosts the old Electrical Building and various livestock-pavilion elements...

Its' rather reminiscent of the way that real estate types have been pushing the edge of The Beach further north for years, practically into East York. By the time Chaz is built it will have been renamed Chaz East Annex of Yorkville-South Rosedale-New Cabbagetowne… and I know that Cabbagetown is not spelt with the last 'e', but while you are re-writing the city's geography, why not spruce up the orthography a bit too?

Its' rather reminiscent of the way that real estate types have been pushing the edge of The Beach further north for years, practically into East York. By the time Chaz is built it will have been renamed Chaz East Annex of Yorkville-South Rosedale-New Cabbagetowne… and I know that Cabbagetown is not spelt with the last 'e', but while you are re-writing the city's geography, why not spruce up the orthography a bit too?

LOL....on the floor.

Demolition has started.

chazn24.jpg

This morning they were cutting down the large tree that was in front of the building. I wonder if they even considered trying to save it?

Front page story has a peek inside the new Presentation Centre on Yorkville Avenue.

ummmm yeah so hey Edenshaw, FYI - Church and Charles is NOT Yorkville.

I also wonder why it is being called "Yorkville". In fact I found in many cases surrounding nodes are being called "Yorkville" for some reason, for example: anywhere south of Bloor. Yorkville only exists west of Bay and north of Bloor, doesn't it?

Church/Charles is more wellesley village than Yorkville. It is not even that close to Yorkville.

Back