Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Am very dissapointed with the creativity of our engineers and architects and above all, the city to be allowing to build these cookie cutter, lookalike buildings. on top of it all They pay no attention to the street level. All u see as u walk by is glass... Often dirty glass. Btw the new ritz going up on Michigan avenue is ugly! So Chicago builds ugly buildings as well.

WTF??? This is by no possible stretch of this imagination "cookie cutter". I fully expect that when is is completed, it will be regarded as one of the most unusual buildings in the area. Are you actually looking at the renders at all?

Am very dissapointed with the creativity of our engineers and architects and above all, the city to be allowing to build these cookie cutter, lookalike buildings. on top of it all They pay no attention to the street level. All u see as u walk by is glass... Often dirty glass. Btw the new ritz going up on Michigan avenue is ugly! So Chicago builds ugly buildings as well.

What building(s) does Chaz resemble?

I find Chaz to be one of the most exciting projects downtown. It is far beyond "cookie cutter in my opinion.

What would you like to see at street level? I'd much rather see this than what is currently on site at Chaz right now.

chaz-podium.jpg

What would you like to see at street level? I'd much rather see this than what is currently on site at Chaz right now.

Though as has been inferred over and over in this thread to the point where I can't bother belabouring it any longer, what's currently on site is even *less* "cookie cutter"...

Sorry guys I seem to have written in the wrong heading!! I thought I was commenting about ice not Chaz. I posted my comment in the wrong box. I do like Chaz. Oops!!!

Sorry guys I seem to have written in the wrong heading!! I thought I was commenting about ice not Chaz. I posted my comment in the wrong box. I do like Chaz. Oops!!!

Best not to suggest that in the ICE thread either! :)

Last edited:
Though as has been inferred over and over in this thread to the point where I can't bother belabouring it any longer, what's currently on site is even *less* "cookie cutter"...

..and if I may build on that: to its detractors, its non-cookie-cutterness may be its major shortcoming. (Whereas the much more cookie-cutterish 50s/60s brick walkups and 60s/70s slabs around it come through acceptably benign by comparison.)

So you prefer the project which destroys a then-progressive (and in many ways, currently-progressive) office block in favor of a pretty standard tower (with certain site-specific nods) as opposed to one which uniquely deploys a canopy in favor of the standard 'podium' and is built on greyfield(s)?

Just got the meeting notice for this project re the height increase from 39 to 47 storeys. YMCA on Grosvenor, 2nd flr auditorium, Nov 8, 6:30 - 9 pm.

Thanks androiduk. is there an open house first at 6:30 and then the meeting at 7 or does everything kickoff at 6:30?

What building(s) does Chaz resemble?

I find Chaz to be one of the most exciting projects downtown. It is far beyond "cookie cutter in my opinion.

chaz-podium.jpg

I actually think Chaz resembles, or has accents, of the current bldg on site. I like that.
The current bldg actually REALLY resembles Hamilton's Central Public Library (pre-renovation):

07HPL.jpg

source

vs 45 Charles Toronto:
url

source

Back