Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

That would have been a good question for the architects to ask themselves. People keep stuff on their balconies, even if regulated by the condo board. A building that showcases that stuff with clear balcony glass seems ill conceived.

The tower looks like a mess--like it's under construction. I'd prefer a solution that hints at the life within while not putting it on full display unless the architect would coordinate everyone's balcony furniture in patterns (which would be a waste of time). Frosted glass railings would achieve that.

The tower looks like a mess--like it's under construction. I'd prefer a solution that hints at the life within while not putting it on full display unless the architect would coordinate everyone's balcony furniture in patterns (which would be a waste of time). Frosted glass railings would achieve that.

Do people constantly tell you that you're a "glass half-empty" kind of person? I'm guessing you hear that a lot.

Do people constantly tell you that you're a "glass half-empty" kind of person? I'm guessing you hear that a lot.

Never because I'm an optimist. But I know exactly what doesn't work and I'll you. You should be happy someone calls out the bullshit. There's plenty of good design in this town--including other aA buildings--that I don't concern myself with pretending to like something that I know doesn't work.

Too bad. It looked good when it was new and the balconies were empty. But even then, the doors should match the window glass perfectly. This is minimalist architecture--you have to get even the seemingly trivial details right or it fails.

It's really no different then one of my hobbies: walking any random old residential street in Toronto and "spying on" the junk people put on their front porches. I can easily see it and find it makes the city more interesting. While I think the 100% clear glass balcony look is past its prime--now every mediocre architect in town is onto this trend--there's nothing wrong with having several dozen buildings of the tens of thousands in town displaying their residents tastes--some good some bad--to the nosy public.

Never because I'm an optimist. But I know exactly what doesn't work and I'll you. You should be happy someone calls out the bullshit. There's plenty of good design in this town--including other aA buildings--that I don't concern myself with pretending to like something that I know doesn't work.

Too bad. It looked good when it was new and the balconies were empty. But even then, the doors should match the window glass perfectly. This is minimalist architecture--you have to get even the seemingly trivial details right or it fails.

The door glass is the same as the window glass, the doors look darker because of the screen doors.

By these wonky balcony arguments, people shouldn't be out on them, using them, either. Those bothersome human units distract from the "minimalist design" that the architect envisioned...

^30 years from now these glass balconies could be replaced with perforated aluminium railings--much like how some tired old condo boards have replaced their metal railings with glass these past few years.

27 July 2014: After walking from Danforth & Woodbine via Gerrard, Carlaw, Queen etc I was too tired to bother getting close to this eyesore:
8sKvbvw.jpg

Back