Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Amazing views from Uptown Benito! ^

Today:

14359599242_775a731a65_c.jpg

Not as good as your photos Steve, but you're welcome.

It's not that Modernism is timid, it just seems to have forgotten many great design ideas that are compatible with its philosophy. The warm beige brick and dark green windows are a great historicist colour combination. In a world of flat glazed facades, terracing is an appealing architectural idea. Bloor Street Neighbourhood is an interesting development. Everyone can enjoy its warm and inviting presence.

It also costs a lot more to terrace a building. A bill not all developers are willing to foot.

BSN is fantastic with its unique L massing, confident terracing and then the sheer tower. It's one of the more unique condos in the city.

Glad I'm not the only one who like BSN :D

Actually, BSN is waaaaaay better than that generic Glass rap-around gray blaaaah ugly giant box next to it.

It's not that Modernism is timid, it just seems to have forgotten many great design ideas that are compatible with its philosophy. The warm beige brick and dark green windows are a great historicist colour combination. In a world of flat glazed facades, terracing is an appealing architectural idea. Bloor Street Neighbourhood is an interesting development. Everyone can enjoy its warm and inviting presence.

Am I the only one who remembers how BSN was being relentlessly slagged when it was under construction? It seems like almost everybody hated it.

Just goes to show that opinions made during construction, before a building is completed, do not always have great predictive value.

Am I the only one who remembers how BSN was being relentlessly slagged when it was under construction? It seems like almost everybody hated it.

Just goes to show that opinions made during construction, before a building is completed, do not always have great predictive value.

It's still atrocious imo.

Agreed. It's one of the clumsiest condominium developments of Toronto's last decade. The upper tower is especially poorly tacked on, with no real attempt to integrate it. They're just counting on nobody looking very critically at it, or at least they're not caring that some of us do.

Almost everyone, but there is at least one member who thought it is "great", and being utterly obnoxious about it.

AoD

Agreed. It's one of the clumsiest condominium developments of Toronto's last decade. The upper tower is especially poorly tacked on, with no real attempt to integrate it. They're just counting on nobody looking very critically at it, or at least they're not caring that some of us do.

It doesn't deserve all the criticism. It handles the awkward site with grace thanks to the L massing. It doesn't overpower its heritage neighbour in spite of being significantly bigger thanks to the terracing. The tower could have been better, but it's hardly a disaster.

It doesn't deserve all the criticism. It handles the awkward site with grace thanks to the L massing. It doesn't overpower its heritage neighbour in spite of being significantly bigger thanks to the terracing. The tower could have been better, but it's hardly a disaster.
I agree. There are a lot of hideous buildings in this city, and this one is not one of them.
Wait, isn't this the Chaz thread? :p

BSN is awful. It sits on the site like a hulking tacky fauxhistoric mcmansion does on a side street in Mimico. It is beige, cheap and phony.

I do not debate materials--that's a $/sqft issue. I debate design. Get aA to clad a building in any material and they will get the design right. A good architect could design a proper historicist building and it would look fantastic. BSN and Chaz fail because the key ingredient--a quality architect--is missing.

It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is: modern high-rise infill with an interest in history, if not a commitment to historical recreation. Is it cheap? Not really. Everything is holding up. It looks brand new. That brickwork on the podium is unique. The terracing helps to lighten its presence. Chaz will also be fine--probably better than BSN if not as good as Casa.

BSN is awful. It sits on the site like a hulking tacky fauxhistoric mcmansion does on a side street in Mimico. It is beige, cheap and phony.

BSN is awful for you. I think sometimes you should put a "IMHO" at the end of your sentence. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I guess you need to revise your values scale ;) Maybe you should try to visit some other country, then you'll get a whole new perception of the word awful, that you like to use so lightly.

Last edited:
Of course it's all opinion, but some things are uglier than others. I can accept different styles. There are buildings I don't like, but can appreciate the architecture. But BSN looks like crap IMO because of the ugly green they used. Along with the weird proportions and ugly stucco. There are many things I like about it, but it falls short. Reminds me of Uptown a few blocks away. Terrible execution.

Back