Toronto Casey House | ?m | 4s | Hariri Pontarini

Is that ample set-back imaginary? My memory tells me that Casey House is basically sitting on Isabella...

Yup. The old mansion is set back quite far off the street. The yard is currently breeding Tim's cups, for future roll up the rim contests.

I really hope they are successful in removing all the paint from the brick, that rendering looks really good. Sad that the coach house has to go though. Coach houses don't get no respect.

they are really are going to have their work cut out for them, because that building is in extremely rough shape. i used to work at a production company that rented the entire building back in the late 1990s and it was in a pretty neglected condition even then. that said, its got some beautiful features--inside as well...

Excerpt from the Star

By: Susan Pigg Business Reporter, Published on Tue Apr 01 2014

It’s definitely not an April Fool’s joke. And it may turn out to be more wishful thinking than economically viable.

But the HIV/AIDS treatment facility Casey House is offering up its 1889 coach house on Isabella St. for free. You just have to move the 3,000 square foot historic brick home from its long-time location just south of Bloor off Jarvis St.

The coach house has been home since the late 1990s to a labrynth of crammed offices and meeting rooms for community nursing staff, finance employees and Casey House Foundation fund-raising staff.

Beloved Casey House co-founder June Callwood used to hang out there.

The property, which is located just across the street from the main care facility on Huntley St., was originally to have been integrated into a massive redevelopment of Casey House, set to open in late 2016.

That 48,000-square foot new inpatient and outpatient hospital was to involve the restoration and integration of two historic properties on the block-long site — a derelict 10,000 square foot Jarvis St. mansion known simply as The Grey Lady, built in 1875, and its adjacent coach house, built over a decade later.

“We’re just not able to do everything and care for our patients,” said Stephanie Karapita, chief executive office of Casey House in an interview Tuesday.

So what's the point of listing these buildings with heritage designations if they just tear them down, or offer them for free if you can move the house off the property to a new location? Unacceptable.

I don't know if they're "just" doing anything here. The story makes it pretty clear that this is a last resort.

caseym7.jpg

It is the sandstone elements that look particularly degraded: these likely need replacement, whereas the brick could simply be repointed. Old City Hall and the Legislature are always have their sandstone components mended, so I suppose both supply of stone and expertise in their restoration is available.

An iPhone snap from Saturday

Back