Toronto Casey House | ?m | 4s | Hariri Pontarini

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/07/0...ore-1875-heritage-mansion-at-jarvis-isabella/

New Casey House HIV/AIDS health care building will restore 1875 heritage mansion at Jarvis & Isabella

The city has scheduled a community consultation meeting for tomorrow evening (July 7) to obtain neighbourhood input on a redevelopment proposal that would see a new Casey House HIV/AIDS health care facility constructed along the south side of Isabella Street, between Jarvis and Huntley Streets. The new building would include a five-storey structure rising behind and attached to the William R. Johnston House at 571 Jarvis Street, a brick mansion built in 1875.

From its 22.7-metre peak height behind the mansion, the new building would terrace down to three storeys toward Huntley Street, where the entrance to an underground parking garage would be situated — directly across the street from the existing Casey House hospice at the southeast corner of Huntley & Isabella.

Although Toronto heritage building enthusiasts will be relieved that the historic mansion will be saved and incorporated into the new facility, they undoubtedly will be dismayed that a handsome 122-year-old coach house at 119 Isabella Street will be destroyed during construction. Built at the southwest corner of Huntley & Isabella in 1889, the coach house is currently used by Casey House for administration and training space. Since it couldn’t be included in the new building design, its demise appears likely — unless an individual or organization with property to which the coach house could be relocated steps in to save it.

http://caseyhouse.akaraisin.com/Donation/Event/Home.aspx?seid=4001

caseyhouse.jpg

This is an interesting project but demolishing the coach house would be a true tragedy. I lived directly across the street from it for a year (NW corner of Isabella and Huntley) and the architecture adds tremendously to this little "island" of older architecture (surrounded on all sides by creeping high-rises, Rogers, etc.), and a particular style that's not that common in the downtown.

I did a photo shot of this place last year. I saw something that told me something was going to take place here soon and better get the shots before it was too late.

Don't support any part of this building to be torn down. It needs to stay as is, but fix up and expanded around it with no parking at all.

Have no issue with what this building will be used for, but the destruction is a no go. Too many walkabout in this area growing up to see these homes being destroy.

For those unfamiliar with the building or the neighbourhood, below are several shots as it is today. To say it's a diamond in the rough is an understatement, it looks like one of those homes an old lady lived in with 200 cats. I was sure it would see the wrecking ball one day soon in favor of another tall, glassy condo. Thankfully new life will be breathed into this historic, 120 year old mansion adding yet another surviving gem to the historic Jarvis Street [highway] corridor. 571 Jarvis is located on the S/E corner of Jarvis and Isabella Sts., directly south of the Rogers buildings.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Facing Jarvis Street

Isabella Street side

Rear of the property

Development proposal sign up

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

This is good news. There are so many great looking mansions/houses in this area that need some TLC

You know, there are just as many charmers over on Sherbourne Street. I found myself walking down there on Friday and I was surprised at the volume of great looking buildings, I never realized how many there were. I think I generally missed most of them because I used to cycle down there which requires all possible grey matter to keep from getting killed in those broken up bike lanes. Some are abandoned (not a good sign) yet others are really run down, especially as one approaches the Dundas Street area. Many appear to be on their last legs as rooming houses.

You know, there are just as many charmers over on Sherbourne Street. I found myself walking down there on Friday and I was surprised at the volume of great looking buildings, I never realized how many there were. I think I generally missed most of them because I used to cycle down there which requires all possible grey matter to keep from getting killed in those broken up bike lanes. Some are abandoned (not a good sign) yet others are really run down, especially as one approaches the Dundas Street area. Many appear to be on their last legs as rooming houses.

I know. It's a shame really

I really hope they are successful in removing all the paint from the brick, that rendering looks really good. Sad that the coach house has to go though. Coach houses don't get no respect.

Back