Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

like the computer game sims...

If you leave the guy in the pool without any handles to get out the person dies...

Casa Condominium Progress Oct 2, 2007

Rainy Tuesday morning...

DSCN1047.jpg

That's a lot of work for one guy...

DSCN1049.jpg

BELOW: South east corner...

DSCN1050.jpg

BELOW: Battle of the Cresford cranes... BSN vs CASA.

DSCN1051.jpg

Casa Condominium Progress Oct 5, 2007

A full compliment of workers this morning busily building away!

Keep up those daily shouts of encouragement, Jaborandi!

DSCN1085.jpg

I think I'm wrong about the crane positioning. It's so close to the elevators that it will have to be within the building as it goes up. (I guess there'll be some sort of shaft there for a/c or something.)

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

DSCN1088.jpg

^I figured as much but it just seems odd not to place it where there will already be a common shaft from top to bottom. Any ideas on how they choose the ideal position for the tower crane?

^I figured as much but it just seems odd not to place it where there will already be a common shaft from top to bottom. Any ideas on how they choose the ideal position for the tower crane?

I believe they play pin the tail on the donkey.

What's with those three pits that they have dug on the west side of the site? It really is very interesting to check out the site every day and see what is happening. I've been leaving an offering of raised maple doughnuts each morning to spur them on. Once they hit street level, it will be crullers, providing they're not too lardy.

I'm just curious about the crane as well. how does the crane adjust one floor higher? is it moved to pour the concrete in its place?

In the Casa case they will now build floors around the crane. When the time comes they will jack up the crane using those floors to keep the crane from falling over. Those floors will then keep the crane fastened in place. Once the crane has passed above the floor openings they will go back and fill in the holes with concrete. At that point you'll never know the crane once resided there.

Any ideas on how they choose the ideal position for the tower crane?

They pick a place that is close to the centre of the site but also one that isn't in the way of anything structural or close to any surrounding buildings.

I figured as much but it just seems odd not to place it where there will already be a common shaft from top to bottom

Always wondered why they didn't use the elevator shaft. Maybe because they are too big or maybe not in the ideal position as mentioned in the post above.

Casa Condominium Progress Oct 6, 2007

DSCN1090.jpg

^Northeast corner

DSCN1092.jpg

^Northwest corner

DSCN1093.jpg

^The calm before this afternoon's storm

DSCN1092.jpg

casaguy

I made an enquiry about those pits this morning. Apparently they are for the footings for the support columns. I also asked about the skid of bricks that are down there. They are to line the pits so that the rebars are not touching the dirt (or mud) when they pour the concrete. I offered up my bod for the best worker - I think they would prefer the raised maple doughnuts.

Thanks, Jaborandi!

I was wondering about those pits too.

It seems odd that they would be so wide and take up so much space where I assume parking spots will be... especially since the building will not rise above them higher than the 5th floor. (The outdoor pool and other amenities will be above those pits as pictured below.)

DSCN0888.jpg

I'll try to swing by on Saturday to get some update pics.

Back