Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Some possibly unseen renders...

proj_commons_03_a.jpg

proj_commons_03_b.jpg

proj_commons_03_c.jpg

proj_commons_03_d.jpg

Great renders. Thanks. If Concord hands this over to the city upon completion, I expect to enjoy it for one year before it starts falling apart, just like the Great Gulf-built park behind 18 Yorkville.

Last edited:
Great renders. Thanks. If Concord hands this over to the city upon completion, I expect to enjoy it for one year before it starts falling apart, just like the Great Gulf-built park behind 18 Yorkville.

Seemed perfectly fine to me last summer

Seemed perfectly fine to me last summer
Dead trees and shrubbery (they were dead last summer); crumbling tree-planters; burnt out up-lights at the base of the sculpture eliminating it's key night-time effect; key-scratched plaques explaining the area's history; blue garbage bin that I'm pretty sure wasn't part of Janet Rosenberg's original design vision, etc. Apparently, the residents of 18 Yorkville are so appalled they're pooling their own money to bring the park back to good repair. All this after, what, three years under the city's 'care?'

Last edited:
Dead trees and shrubbery (they were dead last summer); crumbling tree-planters; burnt out up-lights at the base of the sculpture eliminating it's key night-time effect; key-scratched plaques explaining the area's history; blue garbage bin that I'm sure wasn't part of Janet Rosenberg's design vision. The residents of 18 Yorkville are apparently so appalled that they're pooling their own money to bring the park back to good repair. All this after, what, three years under the city's 'care?'

Actually sorry I was referring to 2 summers ago moreover it was during the day time so I wouldn't have noticed the lights.

This doesn't surprise me to much unfortunately.

Dead trees and shrubbery (they were dead last summer); crumbling tree-planters; burnt out up-lights at the base of the sculpture eliminating it's key night-time effect; key-scratched plaques explaining the area's history; blue garbage bin that I'm pretty sure wasn't part of Janet Rosenberg's original design vision, etc. Apparently, the residents of 18 Yorkville are so appalled they're pooling their own money to bring the park back to good repair. All this after, what, three years under the city's 'care?'

Sad, but pretty much sums things up.

The city needs a stronger force when it comes to basic upkeep of our public spaces. Even a volunteer group, or something. I'd volunteer my spare time to help with general upkeep and maintenance, because seeing such promising areas in shambolic states is upsetting and frustrating. Also, the trees. Hopefully the trees in Cityplace's park don't end up like most of our newly planted trees.

You know, I had a walk by the square yesterday. Clearly I couldn't tell if the trees were alive or not :)

But everything else looks fine to me! The circular base where the trees grow from are a bit chipped in a few locations. Other then that though it doesn't look to bad at all. I'll come back in the summer to see how the trees are doing.

egotrippin:

I think looking for the city for detailed stewardship of all public parks is unrealistic - it's a very labour intensive job (just think how much work maintaining a backyard entails - much less flowerbeds, etc). The only way this sort of thing can be done is through volunteer efforts like what 18 Yorkville residents are doing.

The question that *should* be asked is - why is the space getting all banged up in the first place? That suggest vandalism - which is something that should be severely dealt with, considering how much repairing the damage costs society. This includes littering.

AoD

Some kind of decentralization would probably help. Instead of waiting for Parks+Rec to get around to cleaning/fixing your park, neighbourhoods should be able to organize the maintenance of their local parks and to decide their character.

Some kind of decentralization would probably help. Instead of waiting for Parks+Rec to get around to cleaning/fixing your park, neighbourhoods should be able to organize the maintenance of their local parks and to decide their character.

This idea is currently making its way through city hall. Kind of like the Dufferin Grove experience.

egotrippin:

I think looking for the city for detailed stewardship of all public parks is unrealistic - it's a very labour intensive job (just think how much work maintaining a backyard entails - much less flowerbeds, etc). The only way this sort of thing can be done is through volunteer efforts like what 18 Yorkville residents are doing.
AoD

Why such low expectations of the city? If you go to Europe you see that parks and public spaces in general are beautifully maintained, and they tend to be far more numerous and 'ornate' than here where shrubs and grassy lawns tend to be the norm. This doesn't preclude private involvement obviously but why set the bar so low in Toronto, and why the free pass for the city?

Back