Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Although most parks in Toronto is are in quite sad shape, there are glimmers of what the City can do when it acutally devotes time and resoucres to specific partks. The best example of this that I am aware of iin the downtown core is the Music Garden. Even in August when many parks look dry, dirty and tired after a summer of use (and in many cases neglect), the Music Garden still tends to look fresh and tremendously well maintained. One can only assume that if the City had more money to devote to its parks they could all be maintained to this standard...but due to Canada's ridiculous taxation and electoral biases against big cities, I don't see the Parks budget being expanded any time soon. Given this reality, I think that neighbourhood volunteer groups are a decent alternative if people with sufficient motivation are willing to chip in.

What no one seems to have noted is that parks in America and Britan have closing times which are enforced. Often parks (especially in Manhattan or London) are encircled by fences and are patrolled by uniformed officers.

When I was staying in New York last summer I really wanted to see One Madsion Park (the anorexic condo at the south end of the park). The park itself was bordered by a fence but had park benches facing the street. It was later at night (maybe 2am) and I sat on one of these benches to try and steady my camera for some night shots. Within 5 minutes I was asked to leave by a friendly but firm NYPD Officer. Obviously I complied, but the idea that these are not *public* spaces left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll take some shoddy grass over a police presence any day.

Tewder:

Why such low expectations of the city? If you go to Europe you see that parks and public spaces in general are beautifully maintained, and they tend to be far more numerous and 'ornate' than here where shrubs and grassy lawns tend to be the norm. This doesn't preclude private involvement obviously but why set the bar so low in Toronto, and why the free pass for the city?

Sure, but we better be ready for European levels of taxation to support that. Personally though, I think it is healthier for citizens to take the initiative and give back to the public space - it cultivates a sense of ownership.

AoD

Private and public spaces tend to be defined a little more closely in Europe, with hedgerows, gates and walls etc., which probably has to do with the small space and high population density. This may be a similar situation in New York.

I do find European parks to be a little fussy, to be sure, even if very beautiful. I'd like to see some of our parks this way, though, such as the Grange. It would make a nice change of pace.

Activity going on in the park. They have filled a portion of the large oval "flower pot". And they're doing something around the "canoe platform".

Lots of activity in the park. And it looks like the trees have arrived!!!

Attachments

• PDR_1626.jpg
    PDR_1626.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 342
  • PDR_1627.jpg
    PDR_1627.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 325
  • PDR_1628.jpg
    PDR_1628.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 327
Yeah!

Yep, love seeing it get worked on again. You must be in WorstOne too ;-)
I hope they start working on the path extension to the park from our side soon.

the work that goes into project like this is extraordinary. i think toronto will be so grateful when this park is complete; certainly a new 'destination.' i just don't think it will be done by this summer.

Yep, love seeing it get worked on again. You must be in WorstOne too ;-)
I hope they start working on the path extension to the park from our side soon.

Yep, I'm in WestOne. Luv it here, it's getting better. When the building/Cityplace matures (Sobey's opening, park completed, schools/community centre/childcare facility, Parade finished), and Queen's Quay makeover, it will be really nice. It will take at least 5 years for all that to be completed though. I hope they don't take out the Gardiner west of Spadina (I love it at night). :)

With regards to the path extension, that won't be done until they build the TCHC building to the west of us. For now, we can access it through Fort York Blvd.

Last edited:
Cityplace park

I hope they extend it before then since it would connect from Spadina all the way to the new lights and cross walk on Lakeshore. The block west of us is to be the last of the 3 Big Toronto Community Housing Projects so years away.

Sobeys is great but they really should have put more shops and restaurants in the plans for this area. Anyhow that's another topics area ;-)

I hope they extend it before then since it would connect from Spadina all the way to the new lights and cross walk on Lakeshore. The block west of us is to be the last of the 3 Big Toronto Community Housing Projects so years away.

Sobeys is great but they really should have put more shops and restaurants in the plans for this area. Anyhow that's another topics area ;-)

What new lights are you referring to? The ones on Lakeshore (just east) of Panorama? Yes, years away--enjoy the view while you can.

I looked into doing something about shops/restaurant in the area. I looked at the store for lease at ground level of N1 (with the large patio). Unfortunately, rent alone costs $14000/month. Maybe in 20 years... :)

By the way, the trees are going in the ground!! West of the white canoe platform.

Last edited:
Cityplace park

Damn I would have been very happy to buy many many beers on your outdoor patio if you had of opened up something there ;-)

Oh and yes those lights, right now with no crosswalk on our side of Spadina to the water its a pain in the butt..but I guess they do have plans to fix that eventually

the work that goes into project like this is extraordinary. i think toronto will be so grateful when this park is complete; certainly a new 'destination.' i just don't think it will be done by this summer.
Agreed. Now let's hope that the city maintains it properly, unlike every other park in this city.

This little 'green' welcome mat at the western approach to the city will be fantastic. Hope the trees going in look fairly mature.

The trees (from a great distance) look to be about 12-15ft tall. Bare, no leaves of course. About 25-30 trees are in the ground in the west portion of the "podium". They are currently planting on the east part of the podium. Wouldn't be surprised if grass will be laid down soon.

Activity in in full gear now. I am hopeful for a summer/early fall opening.

Back