Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

My initial comment was mostly in jest. I wouldn't be upset if no bike posts were put up on this stretch and I wouldn't be upset if they were. Though I'd like to see bicycle parking for busier pedestrian streets delegated to alleys and side streets. This would free up the valuable sidewalk real estate; for instance, by memory, Yonge Street has very few bicycle posts. I'm not trying to suppress the bicyclists, as I think it could be way to bring some more use and activity to the alleys. Seeing as bike theft/vandalism happens right out on our main streets though, there might be some concerns over crime.

As a cyclist I'd rather not see bike racks along the revitilized section of Bloor Street but a serious addition to the streets, or laneways, which surround the area.

Nothing says "serious retail" to me like WINNERS.

I think there's a point here: the best "high-end shopping districts" have one knowing foot in the lower end for egalitarian balance. Not least because you can bet a lot of those Jeanne Beker types quietly get their everyday bargains at Winners, too. One-stop, one-strip shopping.

And re bikes and bike racks, don't forget that (a) there's still office buildings and office floors along Bloor, and (b) even if the shoppers don't bike, those who serve said shoppers might...

I hope it will remain high-end even with the rise of King West. .

There's nothing high-end about King West. It's a great emerging area with a lot of new upscale condos but it is definitely not the location of choice for people with real money to spend. It's not really much a neighborhood and is so boxed in that it will always been a fringe zone at best.

Hipster maybe, not high end.

I walked by thecompleted area this past weekend and noticed that all the flowers in the planters were dug up and removed. Will they be replaced or will we be seeing ugly dry brown patches here for the rest of this year?

The main problem with debacles like this is that those in charge are never fired/penalized. On the contrary, they are usually given even bigger projects to screw up.

I walked by thecompleted area this past weekend and noticed that all the flowers in the planters were dug up and removed. Will they be replaced or will we be seeing ugly dry brown patches here for the rest of this year?

They were tulips, relax. New flowers will be replanted by the City soon.

There's quite a few spots for lease directly on Bloor now, it's funny as at the height of the recession it was extermely difficult to find any space in this stretch or Yorkville.
You have to wonder if it has anything to do with this project, of course it's just short term, but still, it's likely a good year or two for this to complete.

The new trees between Yonge & Church in the centre of the picture are starting to make an impact and when complete there will be a nice line of trees all the way over to Avenue Rd.

bsroof.jpg

Yeah. Looks really great.

I didn't have the camera handy (isn't that always the way?)

But the new flower displays are going in on Bloor..........VERY elaborate.....only comparable with University Avenue, nothing else comes close. Much more interesting that than the nice, but not awe-inspiring tulip effort.

I will get a pic or 2 when I'm next down there, but anyone there regularly should make a point of bring the cam, the displays definitely pic-worthy.....

As a contrast...........I was up in the area of Yonge, north of Eglinton today.....which has really been spruce up.........new multi-tree trenches (open, long pits) similar to Bloor have been put in....

No floral or understory displays..............unfortunately.

But....unlike Bloor, they managed to re-do the street lighting..........and I think it looks quite impressive.....

The street lighting (light standards) along Bloor Street are new, about a year now in the Jarvis-Yonge section on Bloor.

The street lighting (light standards) along Bloor Street are new, about a year now in the Jarvis-Yonge section on Bloor.

Hi DT, thanks, I knew that, I should have specified 'upgraded' as opposed to new/replaced in the context of Bloor.

The new polls are pretty-much carbon copies of the old ones on Bloor, high-mast, stainless steel, cobra-head lights.

The only improvement was changing the bulbs (illumination) from HPS (orange) to Metal Hallide (White).

I just think the fixtures lack character and are not in synch with the rest of the scheme.

Agreed, they totally lack charactor, especially for this revitilized strip.

BLOOR STREET

Construction Update

June 9, 2010

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Temporary Road Closure Notification

Please note that Queen’s Park Circle (Avenue Road) will be reduced to one lane, in each direction (north/south) at Bloor Street beginning at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, June 11th. A full closure will occur at 7:00 p.m., on Friday and north south traffic will remain closed until Monday, June 14th at 6:00 a.m. The southern portion of Bloor Street will be rebuilt at Avenue Road, maintaining the eastbound and westbound traffic on the northern portion of Bloor Street .

Southbound traffic will be diverted to eastbound and westbound Bloor Street , while northbound traffic will be diverted to Wellesley Street or Hoskin Ave.

Once again, eastbound and westbound traffic on Bloor St. will be maintained.

Bloor Street East

Please take the opportunity to visit the east portion of Bloor Street , as the summer plantings have been installed and have been receiving rave reviews. We look forward to the plantings in full bloom, over the next few weeks.

Back