Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Couriers will certainly be locking their bikes to trees or whatever else they can find--as will many other cyclists. It's not a question of being "inconsiderate jerks" but of having no other available option. This issue must be addressed for this stretch of pavement. There has to be some happy medium between utility and aesthetics.

Locking bikes to trees is a good point, witness Bay & Dundas in front of Ryerson/Best Buy/Canadian Tire. I never even considered bike couriers, the Yorkville BIA probably didn't either.

But it's in the interests of the BIA to have bicycle parking, because it's good for business. If cyclists don't feel welcome there, they won't shop there much.

Not an issue. People who ride bikes as their primary mode of transport certainly aren't the people who shop here. Problem solved.

Not an issue. People who ride bikes as their primary mode of transport certainly aren't the people who shop here. Problem solved.

I do!

Some of the BIA might have thought like that, but some of their customers do come by bike. Even if they're in the minority, there's still the matter of the people who visit the offices along this stretch of Bloor, the variety of retail beyond the luxury boutique, the banks, and the restaurants.

Does this project extend to Jarvis or just to Church? I looks like they are done going East and I thought I read the updates would extend to Jarvis St.

This is the downside to working with BIA's, the work just ends at some boundary, even if it's mid-block.
bt1.jpg

It unfortunately ends mid block at St. Pauls Square. Looks silly doesn't it

What happned to all the planters?!?!!? I just saw them all bare on the NE side of Y&B...did everything die?

What happned to all the planters?!?!!? I just saw them all bare on the NE side of Y&B...did everything die?

Are the trees gone? The City has taken out tulips most everywhere now and prepared the ground for the next planting so if it's just the flowers that are gone I wouldn't be concerned.

Locking bikes to trees is a good point, witness Bay & Dundas in front of Ryerson/Best Buy/Canadian Tire. I never even considered bike couriers, the Yorkville BIA probably didn't either.

I think the trees at Bay and Dundas are looking alright, though?

I agree, too bad they didn't install proper bike posts. The trees are located in the middle of raised rectangular sections (haha, people used to trip over these all the time because the elevation is not always obvious). Bike posts/racks could have been put on these raised sections under the trees. There are tons of cyclists around bay and dundas.

Even up on Bloor street, there are many cyclists and I think they add activity, life and character to the streetscape

It unfortunately ends mid block at St. Pauls Square. Looks silly doesn't it

Hopefully, adjoining areas will see the good in replicating this sidewalk treatment. Entire central cores of cities in Europe install high quality/durable granite. It's more expensive, but it looks 100 times better, and lasts much longer. I'm hoping that all downtown streets will get this sidewalk eventually. I've always hated concrete sidewalk and was shocked that it was to be found even in the bigger cities of Canada.

Upgrading to granite would require co-ordination with city road crews. They need to start putting sidewalks back the way they found it after 'road' work. Just filling in the hole with asphalt is a massive waste of money, looks horrible, and is tantamount to vandalism. Install granite blocks, remove the blocks to access underneath, then place the granite block back in afterwards. They do this all over Europe. Is it really that difficult?

Thats the complete opposite of what was found in a recent study on the demographics who shop at these stores and how they arrive believe it or not.

Back