Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

Ok, and since BSN is already out of date, but has yet to be completed, it accomplishes this how?

BSN is not out-of-date. It can't be out-of-date, since it has the kind of look which can last decades, IMHO. Casa, on the other hand, can become the architectural equivalent of a TWIT/TMIT (and even a TWIF/TMIF) in a matter of years. It's like....oh, I don't know...Robarts Library and practically everything else built in the late 1960s and early 70s.

BSN is not out-of-date. It can't be out-of-date, since it has the kind of look which can last decades, IMHO. Casa, on the other hand, can become the architectural equivalent of a TWIT/TMIT (and even a TWIF/TMIF) in a matter of years. It's like....oh, I don't know...Robarts Library and practically everything else built in the late 1960s and early 70s.

Without the use of tenuous analogies to fashion, can you point out which architectural features of BSN imbue it with this timeless quality in contrast to Casa?

I would also implore the Casa fans to likewise defend their building using the same criteria.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the fashion vernacular-impaired.

I could be mistaken, as it was about 5 pages back and I'm not about to go back and search, but was Casa at one point being compared to skinny jeans?

To throw my two cents in, I think BSN is mediocre. It worked better as the original midrise building it was supposed to be, but then they went and tacked on a tower that doesn't fit with the terraced lower section. I'm sure it will be nice to live in and all that, though.

Neither exists in some sort of "timeless" limbo, they're both products of Toronto in the early noughties. What differentiates them - as buildings under construction, seen from the outside - is their form, proportion, and what they express. One is resolutely Modernist, by a leading local architect, with a handsomely proportioned all-glass form that's the ultimate pared-down expression of the values of clarity and legibility that Modernism represents and is arguably his best large scale design so far. The other is less comely and doesn't express Modernist values as well.

A modern classic has to "work", regardless of time period.

Like this font?

prosplogo.jpg

You're missing one key thing here, and it's that not "everything else built in the late 1960s and early 70s" is out of style. As far as blanket statement generalizations go, that one just took the cake.

BSN is no more than an average (at best) piece of knock-off historicism. If anything its appearance will look more dated by the year's end, than Casa's will during its entire lifespan.

You're missing one key thing here, and it's that not "everything else built in the late 1960s and early 70s" is out of style. As far as blanket statement generalizations go, that one just took the cake.

BSN is no more than an average (at best) piece of knock-off historicism. If anything its appearance will look more dated by the year's end, than Casa's will during its entire lifespan.

Yeah, I found that statement bizarre considering that the style of the 1960s seems to have made a comeback evident in Casa itself and quite a few buildings.

The whole "timeless" notion in today architecture seems so naive, given the fact that many styles disappeared in the 1950s. The only thing that's timeless is the basic need for shelter.

^How can you target "young, hip women" prosperegal if you like old-fashioned unhip "classics" like BSN?

BSN=really bad louis vuitton knockoff

Casa=good Prada knockoff

BSN is not terrible as far as highrise buildings go; but for its Toronto context (aka surrounded by dreary highrises), it truly is bad news. Casa, on the other hand, is great news, refreshingly different, and down-right "classy!"

BSN is like wearing BUM jeans from Wal-mart while Casa is Ernest Sewn.

Or maybe BSN is like one of those Rockwell Jeans trucks that goes up and down Yonge now and then...

Considering pepper79 has only made 8 posts and created a rather entertaining and whimsical uproar I have to think that he is either "ryeuinfinity" turned sour... or an intern or family member of someone who has worked on this very storied project. Either way, it is time to ignore... not because I disagree with him... but because he hasn't said anything.

That's probably the ultimate point here: the fact that he seems to be here only for the sake of puerile rebuttals on behalf of BSN. Like, disgruntled chip-on-the-shoulder stuff.

With friends like that, BSN doesn't need enemies.

my 2 cents worth on BSN is ... I admit there were two moments that I liked the project and found it acceptable:

1. back when the original proposal was launched at 20 storeys with terracing built form that made sense to create an interesting building
  2. when BSN was being built, after the yellow cladding was installed, but before any of the ugly forest green windows/spandrels were installed (they totally clash IMO) :eek:

I sort of like BSN for its ungainliness. For what it lacks in beauty and grace it makes up for in character, imo. Casa is gorgeous and works well in its location but there is plenty of room for buildings that are not 'gorgeous'. Too much of a good thing becomes vacuous eventually

Casa:
b1e5c8e41a86f712

BSN:
epgz079b.jpg

*sorry for the dated references but somebody brought up bell bottoms and love beads here.

A bit of a change of topic but I am really curious what everyone's thoughts are on this as it impacts BSN and Casa - how does everyone feel about the proximity of these 2 condos to the Brass Rail strip club? Does having the condos close to a strip club hurt their value at all? Are there any safety and security issues to worry about by living that close to the strip club? For people that are moving into either building that have kids, does this worry you at all?

It is a topic I have not seen discussed and I was pretty curious to see what everyone thinks about this one

Back