Toronto Bayview Village Redevelopment | 113.99m | 30s | bcIMC | DIALOG

We would need to have businesses that wanted to locate here for there to be office towers rising. That may happen someday, but it's hard enough getting businesses to move to Yonge & Eg or Yonge & Shep, let alone Shep & Bayv or Lez.

We would need to have businesses that wanted to locate here for there to be office towers rising. That may happen someday, but it's hard enough getting businesses to move to Yonge & Eg or Yonge & Shep, let alone Shep & Bayv or Lez.

Someday,... really???

I've given up on someday,... many, many days ago,.... many, many moons ago,.... many, many years ago,... Why? Because even within North York Centre Secondary Plan area (Yonge corridor between 401 to Cummer/Drewry north of Finch) we've repeatedly seen residential condo tower built on prime site once zoned for office at intersection of major arteries with subway station (Menkes' GibsonSquare, EmpressWalk, 4800 Yonge (proposed), Tridel's HullmarkCentre (mix), Bazis' EmeraldPark),..... and even at locations for possible future subway stations (Aoyuan M2M, Plaza's 5888 Yonge (proposed), etc,....),.....

Now with all the prime corner location at major intersections serviced by TTC Subway Stations occupied by residential condo towers,..... where are the Office Towers supposed to be built,... when someday comes????? Somewhere? Or No-where????

Look at this Bayview Village site,... prime location for office is at southwest corner of site where they plan on building 2 residential condo towers with direct subway entrance!!!

Long term,.... only downtown get Office towers,.... the rest of Toronto end up being more and more strictly residential with pockets of Vertical Sleeping Communities,.... this isn't how you build a functional Urban City; this is how you build Vehicular & Transit congestion gridlock!

Last edited:
Office towers depend on more than just subway connections. North York admittedly should have pushed for more office than res development, but ain't nobody building significant office at Bayview and Sheppard...

Office towers depend on more than just subway connections. North York admittedly should have pushed for more office than res development, but ain't nobody building significant office at Bayview and Sheppard...
just curios why that is? There are plenty of suburban offices in Mississauga I drive by everyday. KPMG in Vaughan comes to mind. Why is Vaughan a more desirable location than Bayview and Sheppard?

It's an entirely different product with a different target audience. The land costs on those buildings is significantly smaller than on downtown so the buildings can also be smaller rents can be cheaper while still being profitable.

The expenditure of building a new Class A building downtown means you have to charge premium rent. The tenants you'll find who can achieve those rents won't want to locate to Bayview and Sheppard if they can be downtown. It's all cyclical.

Besides, firms keep hearing from the Young Professional demographic that they want to hire from that those people want to work downtown, and they have trouble hiring and keeping workers if they aren't located there. That's the main reason that Canadian Tire cancelled their move from Eglinton station to Leslie: their workforce did not want to lose the connectivity nor the amenities of the area they are in.

which is funny because Eglinton is a surprisingly difficult spot to commute to from a large area of the GTA - its workforce would have to be fairly concentrated in the city. It would be difficult to have a lot of 905 commuters by that location.

which is funny because Eglinton is a surprisingly difficult spot to commute to from a large area of the GTA - its workforce would have to be fairly concentrated in the city. It would be difficult to have a lot of 905 commuters by that location.

This is something that should change once the crosstown & improvements to GO connections are completed. Especially if ever there is fare integration. Connections between the crosstown and various GO lines at Kennedy, Caledonia and Black Creek should make Y & E reasonably accessible to much of the 905 - certainly much more so than today. I wonder if in the long-term that will have a positive impact on the office market at this node.

Young professionals don't live in the 905.

Wait, wait. I'm giving myself a temporary ban for trolling. Let's say… 1 day.

Further refinements have been made:

• West tower height (pictured on the left in the image below) reduced from 33 to 30 storeys.
• North tower floor plate reduced to 750 square metres.
• Total number of units reduced from 1,036 to 1,009.
• Overall density reduced from 1.71 times the area of the lot to 1.65 times.
• Setback employed to provide a minimum 5-metre separation distance to the proposed parkland in the northeast portion.
• Visual and acoustic screen proposed on the north development site to screen truck movements and noise.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4218053

The architecture just screams North York to me, which is like, fair enough, since we are in North York.

I wish there were more variety. It seems that in the 1960s, they built nothing but brick slab towers. Now we're getting a forest of grey glass towers. It's in this sea of monotony that the kitsch of the NY Towers starts to seem brilliant.

Back