Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

I think I would prefer a developer that gets it right more often. Cityzen has created some serious crap prior to the Marilyns and L Tower.

Besides some of the stuff in North York (Aria, etc) what else have they completed that was "serious crap" in terms of residential ?

Their three most recent projects are Absolute, L Tower and Pier 27. I don't know if any other developer can boast three projects like that in their current portfolio.

Does anyone know the timeline on reopening Ireland Park and the access to it on the east side of the silos? Will this remain closed indefinitely? Do we know if the Famine survivor statues were removed to protect them?

Other than the above application for a parking lot, we haven't heard much on the progress of this project in a long time.

Site Plan Approval for new long and short term surface parking lot, taxi stand and limo standby area to serve Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on the lands occupied by Canada Malting Co. Proposal includes upgrades to the existing public road way to accommodate the proposed works.

Finally! After years of grand proposals, dreams, and false starts, at last we have a visionary plan for this site that we can all get behind! A surface parking lot! And a taxi stand! Be still my beating heart!

Besides some of the stuff in North York (Aria, etc) what else have they completed that was "serious crap" in terms of residential ?

Their three most recent projects are Absolute, L Tower and Pier 27. I don't know if any other developer can boast three projects like that in their current portfolio.

Not to mention The Shores in Oakville, which is a great building.

Does anyone know the timeline on reopening Ireland Park and the access to it on the east side of the silos? Will this remain closed indefinitely? Do we know if the Famine survivor statues were removed to protect them?

Other than the above application for a parking lot, we haven't heard much on the progress of this project in a long time.

Here is info on the reopening of Ireland Park, from WT site:

Along the Portland Slip, Waterfront Toronto is working with the City of Toronto to ensure that required municipal infrastructure repairs result in a new, vibrant promenade and a safe way to access Ireland Park. The City of Toronto has started a first phase of improvements to the Canada Malting Silos site which include repairs to the east dockwall and the demolition of the germination and kiln buildings on the western part of the site.

Once the City has completed the east dockwall repairs, Waterfront Toronto will make improvements to the water’s edge in this area and will build a first phase of water’s edge promenade next to the silo site. The new 130 metre-long stretch of water’s edge promenade will help connect Queens Quay to Ireland Park, an often overlooked public space tucked behind the Canada Malting Silos.

As far as I could see a few weeks ago the dockwall work seemed to be proceeding and now visitors will also have a convenient car park. :->

Here is info on the reopening of Ireland Park, from WT site:

Along the Portland Slip, Waterfront Toronto is working with the City of Toronto to ensure that required municipal infrastructure repairs result in a new, vibrant promenade and a safe way to access Ireland Park. The City of Toronto has started a first phase of improvements to the Canada Malting Silos site which include repairs to the east dockwall and the demolition of the germination and kiln buildings on the western part of the site.

Once the City has completed the east dockwall repairs, Waterfront Toronto will make improvements to the water’s edge in this area and will build a first phase of water’s edge promenade next to the silo site. The new 130 metre-long stretch of water’s edge promenade will help connect Queens Quay to Ireland Park, an often overlooked public space tucked behind the Canada Malting Silos.

As far as I could see a few weeks ago the dockwall work seemed to be proceeding and now visitors will also have a convenient car park. :->

Thanks for the info DSC ... Much appreciated. This one has really been dragging. Its been over a year now since they closed off the park.

As I read the City report on the Island Airport / sewer mains tunnel, the entire Canada Malting Silos site (including Ireland Park) is potentially subject to lease to the Toronto Port Authority for parking lots, cabs and construction staging. I am confused as to the potential for any of Ireland Park to be publicly accessible at any time prior to 2015. Am I alone in my confusion?

It should be accessible along the eastern side of the silos, no?

^Could be, but the Term Sheet between the TPA and the City (attached to the city report) doesn't really limit the areas to be leased to the TPA, nor does it limit the term of the lease:

"Use: The TPA will be permitted to move commercial parking, taxi queuing and other parking uses by the TPA on lands that the TPA owns or leases at the foot of Eireann Quay to the Canada Malting Site and to use the Premises for construction staging."

"Term: 3 years, or longer if available, and subject to a right in favour of the TPA to terminate early on not less than 3 months' notice."

"Premises: Certain portions of the Canada Malting Site, subject to the use by the City's Forestry Services Division, subject to a 15 ft. buffer around the silos, and subject also to temporary use by Waterfront Toronto and the City to complete dockwall and promenade improvements on the west side of the Portland Slip currently scheduled to take place commencing late in 2011 and continuing to late summer or early fall of 2012."

"The City will use its best efforts to provide sufficient area to accommodate the TPA's permitted uses."

I could drive a truck through ^that.

Last edited:

Look no further than the buildings right behind Absolute.

Their three most recent projects are Absolute, L Tower and Pier 27.

Those are good ones and definitely they have improved as of late with the only one I would be concerned about being Aria. If you could get a list of pre-Absolute projects you would see what I am talking about. One can hope that after they launched the Marilyns that they have seen the light. Great Gulf and aA have better consistency through the past decade though.

6428728265_147c967bc9_b.jpg

By Me

Beautiful - well done!

Back