Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

Yes it was cloudy, but it was also 2:00am with a lot of mixed lighting sources which is why I had white balance on "auto". Looks like it is just my monitor here at work, because at home it looks fine (though a bit warm like you said). Thanks forthe kind words. BlogTO published the first photo in their Morning Brew article on Tuesday which was nice.

Yes, wonderful photos and I must say that now the other buildings are gone I understand better why the silos ought to be retained. Thanks!

Well....there is a discussion going on over at SSC, regarding this vision for the Malting Silos, by an Italian architect named Mirko Daneluzzo - conversion into a concert hall.....no idea if this is just a fantasy or what? Very organic looking....

thesis_p1.jpg

toronto2.jpg

lots more info here....

http://3ddreaming.blogspot.com/2011/04/sensitive-fleshmusic-center-toronto.html

New-Music-Center-for-Toronto%E2%80%99s-Waterfront-4.jpg

New-Music-Center-for-Toronto%E2%80%99s-Waterfront-1.jpg

New-Music-Center-for-Toronto%E2%80%99s-Waterfront-2.jpg

Squid-Music-Centre-Toronto-Waterfront-3.jpg

New-Music-Center-for-Toronto%E2%80%99s-Waterfront-3.jpg

Last edited:
The capable Canada Lands Company is presently looking at how Montreal's gigantic Silo No. 5 can be reused, so I hope we do something interesting with ours since comparisons may be inevitable. The silos are quite interesting markers of our city's industrial past as a port city that are irreplaceable and add another layer of history to the waterfront. Silo structures are seldom adapted for anything, yet seem versatile. Silos can be converted into buildings, or simply function as the core of a building with elevators, stairs, a parking system. I think an international design competition should eventually be in order for the silos that bookend the west side of Toronto's downtown waterfront because of how unconventional a project it would be; it would be best to see many different approaches.

A lot of the directions that modern technology has allowed engineers to push boundaries and enable architects to design structures that were never before possible, has been a boon to modern architecture.

However, in my opinion, this is under the category: Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

My first thoughts too. Straight out of the Alien movies... maybe Half-Life in there too.

I like it though - nothing to do with the fact that I like Alien. Just think it's ambitious in a good way.

so awkward yet so amazing... i like it but it gives me shivers down my spine... looks like a dead whale thats been cut up a bajillion times...

Didn't we see this about a year ago?

While I really do appreciate the originality of this design, it is completely inappropriate for this heritage structure -- the lines of the building obscure rather than enhance the existing silos, and the whole effect is one of squat, flowing horizontality rather than geometric, rigid verticality. The design doesn't comment on or enhance the original, but merely hides it -- there is nothing about this design that needs the existing silos.

Looks like they are going to use some of these lands to service Billy Bishop Airport.

5 EIREANN QUAY
Site Plan Approval 11 314425 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Nov 23, 2011 --- --- --- Markowiak, Jeff
(416) 397-4647
Site Plan Approval for new long and short term surface parking lot, taxi stand and limo standby area to serve Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on the lands occupied by Canada Malting Co. Proposal includes upgrades to the existing public road way to accommodate the proposed works.

Back